Oil filter has only 2k miles but 2 years on it. Can I leave it on for next oil change?

John Q. Public brings his 2019 Ford Fusion to the Ford dealership for a rod knocking sound. The service manager asks to see his OCI records and receipts. He asks Mr. Public why he is not changing his oil filter at every OCI? Mr. Public tells him that a member at an oil website states that Honda recommends to change the oil filter at every other OCI. Member X there states that if Honda says it's okay then l should be okay doing it as well.
So, Ford does an investigation and finds the oil filter to be loaded up to the point that it caused damage to the bearings. Will member X at that oil website pay for your new engine being Ford won't?
Sure, it sounds far fetched. But, just because Honda recommends it, and you drive a Ford, ..........well, you get the point.

Loaded up? Never seen such a thing on a well-maintained engine. Your example seems highly unlikely. Outside of a warranty claim, running an oil filter longer than the manu recommends seems like a non-issue.

Is Fords interval even one year for his model? It’s likely written as 3 months. Oh, man, he’s in deep doodoo now! :rolleyes:

I wouldn't. There is NOTHING wrong with the FL-820S.
You mean besides the torn ones repeatedly documented here on Bitog and elsewhere:
Guess it all has to do with the meaning of “NOTHING” being wrong with them.

Last edited:
You mean besides the torn ones repeatedly documented here on Bitog and elsewhere:
Guess it all has to do with the meaning of “NOTHING” being wrong with them.
NOTHING is wrong with them. ;)

Loaded up? Never seen such a thing on a well-maintained engine. Your example seems highly unlikely. Outside of a warranty claim, running an oil filter longer than the manu recommends seems like a non-issue.

Is Fords interval even one year for his model? It’s likely written as 3 months. Oh, man, he’s in deep doodoo now! :rolleyes:
He should have bought a Honda, right? Then he can run the filter 2+ times. :rolleyes:

I have some "seldom used" outdoor power equipment that have filters well over 10 years old still on them... Like my wood/branch chipper. It has an older (1960's or 70's ) Ford industrial 4 cyl and that filter has to be at least 15 years old. I posted some photos a few years ago.... It looks great inside (those engine don't have very high volume pumps) - I unscrew it and re-prime with fresh oil every time I use it.

I am also getting ready to change the oil on my vehicle (2010 Suzuki Kizashi) that has less than 2,000 miles in the last year (just sold our 2nd car so the Suzuki is now our only vehicle and will see a few more miles but not much more since I retired last year...don't drive it much and it has seen some "short tripping" locally so I want to get some fresh oil in there). It has a Mobil1 filter on it now...the box says 1 year or 20,000 miles. I was considering leaving it on because it is an absolute bear to access...limited space and always a mess of oil on the engine getting it out). Now I 'm not so sure if that's a good idea...

I've got a '97 Ford with 41K original miles. I do 5K mile OCI's on that car so you do the figuring as to how long those filters stay on. When it is driven it gets driven long enough to burn off moisture in the oil. I've also never had a problem with removing a filter that has been on for an extended interval. Usually I can grab the filter with both hands and remove without the use of tools. I wouldn't hesitate to run a filter 2 years on 2K mile OCI's.

Thats a fun car.

As long as there is no rust anywhere on it Id leave it on for 2 years.

I had a filter on my truck 3 years due to low miles traveled but in year 3 rust which made it a huge pain to remove.

I wouldn’t recommend leaving the filter on more than 2 years especially in a rusty area

Big rust area here in northern Michigan...it would appear that they are applying road salt during the winter in a 2 to 1 ratio (2 inches of salt for every inch of snow). In true BITOG OCD fashion I'm going to change out the oil AND filter next week...not sure what to obsess about after that but I'll think of something.

I have multiple cars, some used more, but a couple which in the past 12months have been driven under 1000 mi and 2000 mi, so I have considered this question myself. All my cars have cartridge type filters so I’m not worried about seizing or rust.

The one thing I have which hasn’t been mentioned in this thread is that I have a oil pump to extract oil from dipstick. Oil/filter change involves cost and effort. Cost of oil or filter isn’t my main concern. Effort and convenience matters.

For one car, I can’t pump out oil (dry sump) and filter is accessible from top. So I’ll change both oil and filter.

For second car, I can simply pump oil out myself from top, so basing filter life on mileage rather than time means not needing to get under the car to change the filter, making this a clean and easy DIY job.

Physical failures of a filter such as caps... Wouldn’t these failures be caused by use (mileage) more so than through degrading in a parked undriven car (time)? Physical failures have happened on newer filters also, no?

I tried to remove an oil filter from a 3800 and it was practically seized! Even a hammer and screwdriver couldn't get it off! I was able to eventually remove it, but boy was that thing on there! It is possible that the gasket wasn't oiled.

Even similarly overtightened filters on other cars came off with a hammer and screwdriver.
9 times out of ten a seized filter is caused by over tightening .

Back