Oil filter has only 2k miles but 2 years on it. Can I leave it on for next oil change?

You have an extra car and you are worried about being wasteful by changing an oil filter yearly?

If it had metal end caps I'd say it would be okay but not my style.
Paper end caps sitting in oil for years is asking for a disaster. Of course the filter company will get the blame.

Paper end caps sitting in oil for years is asking for a disaster. Of course the filter company will get the blame.
Actually I’d be more worried the other way around. The only separated caps we’ve seen posted on here are metal ones.

I have seen no evidence that a synthetic media filter with 3,000 mi and 36 months is any more likely to fail than one with 24 months, 20,000 mi and many more heat cycles.

John Q. Public brings his 2019 Ford Fusion to the Ford dealership for a rod knocking sound. The service manager asks to see his OCI records and receipts. He asks Mr. Public why he is not changing his oil filter at every OCI? Mr. Public tells him that a member at an oil website states that Honda recommends to change the oil filter at every other OCI. Member X there states that if Honda says it's okay then l should be okay doing it as well.
So, Ford does an investigation and finds the oil filter to be loaded up to the point that it caused damage to the bearings. Will member X at that oil website pay for your new engine being Ford won't?
Sure, it sounds far fetched. But, just because Honda recommends it, and you drive a Ford, ..........well, you get the point.
You’re right. I took a minute to look it up on the Ford website. 2019 Fusion change oil and filter each time. I looked at normal service.

I would change the filter now and cut it open to inspect how it held up.

You did a major no-no for some of us which is to remove a filter, drain it and reinstall. That could cause more problems then actually help.

If I was going to keep a filter on a car for a number of years, I want to know that date code on the filter before installing. I would not install a filter that may older and leave it on for an extended period of time. As others have said get a cheap super tech and change it every year, piece of mind.

You mean the same basic material as the media itself ... lol.

No. The media is constrained and glued.
Different than the top of the non metallic filter cap.

My comment was with regard to your statement of: " Paper end caps sitting in oil for years is asking for a disaster."

....... Dots connected. You brought Honda into a Ford conversation. ✍(y) :)

For a specific reason that you're not grasping. It's not about the specific vehicle, it's about the filter regardless of what vehicle it's mounted on. I mentioned Honda as an example that leaving an oil filter on for 2 years isn't a concern. If it was, Honda (and other manufactures) wouldn't say it's OK. That's the "dots" I'm talking about. ;)

Last edited:
For a specific reason that you're not grasping. It's not about the specific vehicle, it's about the filter regardless of what vehicle it's mounted on. I mentioned Honda as an example that leaving an oil filter on for 2 years isn't a concern. If it was, Honda (and other manufactures) wouldn't say it's OK. That's the "dots" I'm talking about. ;)
;) Ohhhhhhhhh, so if it were a Honda he could use the filter 2+ times? :censored:

Last edited:
LoL ... :rolleyes: 😄

Connect the Dots.jpg

Back