Oil filter has only 2k miles but 2 years on it. Can I leave it on for next oil change?

I have a 1994 Mustang Cobra that rarely gets used, which means I have to change the oil annually instead of according to mileage.

I'm using Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30.
Filter is a FRAM TG16 rated for up to 15k miles.

Last oil change I left the filter on (well I emptied the old oil out of it then screwed it back on) but changed the oil. Can I leave the filter on again for the next oil change? In other words, do they get bad with age (and not just mileage)? There's only 2k miles on the filter at this point, so I don't want to be wasteful if it's not needed. The manufacturer only mentions a mileage interval to change it, not a time interval, so I assume it's ok:

Thanks in advance.
OP, why not use a Motorcraft or WIX oil filter? They're just as good, or better than a FRAM.

I would change the filter now and cut it open to inspect how it held up.

You did a major no-no for some of us which is to remove a filter, drain it and reinstall. That could cause more problems then actually help.

If I was going to keep a filter on a car for a number of years, I want to know that date code on the filter before installing. I would not install a filter that may older and leave it on for an extended period of time. As others have said get a cheap super tech and change it every year, piece of mind.
I missed this reply.
That's a good idea, using an ST filter. (y)

I tried to remove an oil filter from a 3800 and it was practically seized! Even a hammer and screwdriver couldn't get it off! I was able to eventually remove it, but boy was that thing on there! It is possible that the gasket wasn't oiled.

Even similarly overtightened filters on other cars came off with a hammer and screwdriver.

Somebody didn’t oil the gasket and/ or put it on way too tight.

1 year is nothing but I would change it after 2 years. The media might not be loaded with particles yet, but age does matter and I understand that any moisture/condensation or other water in the oil has a negative effect on oil filter media, even after it's been boiled off at normal engine temperature. It's not worth saving a few dollars here.

What will using a wire backed oil filter do that one without a wire backing do? Please, elaborate. 🤔
Good question … the wire is there because the fiberglass has different structural properties than cellulose media … guess you could assume the glass is more inert … but once in oil bath who knows ?

What will using a wire backed oil filter do that one without a wire backing do? Please, elaborate. 🤔

Wire backed synthetic media should hold up longer over time without falling apart. Iv cut up a few filters and find paper ones disintegrate easily. Fram ultra is hard to tear.
Also mann here in the uk have some filters made with some sort of fiberglass media which is also very resilient to tearing

Reactions: JC1
Wire backed synthetic media should hold up longer over time without falling apart. Iv cut up a few filters and find paper ones disintegrate easily. Fram ultra is hard to tear.
Also mann here in the uk have some filters made with some sort of fiberglass media which is also very resilient to tearing
Okay.
I didn't think an ordinary oil filter would fall apart like that. That reflects poor quality and workmanship on said oil filter manufacturers. I need to do a GOOGLE search on this subject so as to avoid these oil filters, and to advise family and friends to do the same.

I have a 1994 Mustang Cobra that rarely gets used, which means I have to change the oil annually instead of according to mileage.

I'm using Mobil Full Synthetic High Mileage 5W30.
Filter is a FRAM TG16 rated for up to 15k miles.

Last oil change I left the filter on (well I emptied the old oil out of it then screwed it back on) but changed the oil. Can I leave the filter on again for the next oil change? In other words, do they get bad with age (and not just mileage)? There's only 2k miles on the filter at this point, so I don't want to be wasteful if it's not needed. The manufacturer only mentions a mileage interval to change it, not a time interval, so I assume it's ok:

Thanks in advance.
Many people have just given you really good advice! That being said......I can't help but ask, considering all the expenses involved with owning that car, storage, insurance, registration, etc, etc, it just seems strange that you wouldn't want to change the filter along with the old oil just in keeping with best practices in the preservation of your classic car? Penny wise but maybe pound foolish my dad would have said.

Okay.
I didn't think an ordinary oil filter would fall apart like that. That reflects poor quality and workmanship on said oil filter manufacturers. I need to do a GOOGLE search on this subject so as to avoid these oil filters, and to advise family and friends to do the same.
Of course there are paper filters that tear, is that what you’re going on about? You'll find examples of those filters on your Google search.

What you will not find is a wire-backed synthetic filter that has similarly torn.

Okay.

If you don't want a filter to fall apart, stop using Purolator made filter (including M________ ) ... 😄

I've used Fram Ultra filters, Mobil 1 filters, and the less expensive Fram offerings in excess of two years many times on my 88 E-150. I change oil based on miles, not time. Having said that the filter itself never went 2 OCIs. In other words never in those two+ years was the oil changed and the filter not changed.

Okay.

im in the UK, and the WIX filters we get here are made in Poland. iv cut one of these filters open and the paper media inside was just tearing apart as i was trying to lay it flat. it was very brittle.
mann filters much better quality here.

Back