Oil filter disposal: what do you do?

,You may want to take some time doing a search for for profit oil filter recycling operations. There are a number of them in the country that have found it quite profitable. One operation in particular recovers the metal and oil. It is actually surprising how much oil they are able to recover. All the other material is incinerated. The incinerator process leaves only the metal, adding to it's value for recycling.
Thank You. I didn’t want to spell everything out. Guess he didn’t understand a word I posted. If I’m lazy I will take my incrished used filters to work and crush them. End of story, plain, Jane simple.

I try to cut mine apart, but my cheap filter cutter won't do Denso cans, so lately I've been sneaking them into to the waste metal dumpster. Otherwise I cut and separate.

I'm good thanks, how does my used filter that I drop into my recycle bin find its way to them? That would mean that my local city employees pick the filters out by hand and put them into a bin that goes to the element separating wizards?
I have zero idea that’s 0 idea how your town/city will process the used filter parts. Basically I don’t care. My village has agreement with local recycling place at my park. Everyone’s town is gonna be different. That’s 110% fact

I had no idea folks especially here at BITOG would throw a used oil filter in the trash to be honest. I see this thread has gone off the rails also with regards to “recycling bins” and so on. I’m very sorry I made a educated guess on what I thought would be interesting post.

Home Depot takes batteries and I think a " Batteries Plus " store
I took an old motorcycle battery to batteries plus a couple of years ago and they said they charge a fee now to take old batteries. IIRC I took it to AZ.

... Everyone’s town is gonna be different.
This!

I don't recycle my filters after I cut them open. I care mostly about the oil; I want it as drained as possible. Perhaps that's because I've lived on well water and don't want my ground water polluted.

Past that, though, the rest goes in the trash. Mainly because my trash service does not participate in recycling. I called them once and asked if I voluntarily separated the glass/plastic/aluminum/etc would they take it for the purpose of recycling? Nope - all goes in the same truck and ends up in the same landfill. The closet recycle center is way far away from me; one could argue that the gas burned to get there and back offsets the other purpose of being "green" in recycle efforts ...

This!

I don't recycle my filters after I cut them open. I care mostly about the oil; I want it as drained as possible. Perhaps that's because I've lived on well water and don't want my ground water polluted.

Past that, though, the rest goes in the trash. Mainly because my trash service does not participate in recycling. I called them once and asked if I voluntarily separated the glass/plastic/aluminum/etc would they take it for the purpose of recycling? Nope - all goes in the same truck and ends up in the same landfill. The closet recycle center is way far away from me; one could argue that the gas burned to get there and back offsets the other purpose of being "green" in recycle efforts ...
Very good DNewton3. I didn’t realize your situation.

@thastinger: I apologize if I belittled you or was rude also. I’m just reporting what I witness at my work and my county. SHELL has revamped lots of “recycling depots” at my local park/dam with man made lake and other park near Ohio line.

I'm in the put it in the trash clan. I toss it in the used cat litter bag. Now I kinda feel bad about it..... I set my drain pan in a cardboard box with a few layers of trash newspaper in the bed of my truck when I take it to the dump (I do that because the little breather cap on mine comes loose and slings oil everywhere as I drive it to the dump) and maybe from now on I'll just toss it in on top of the pan and take it to the dump too, since it's already messy.

My county actually recycles. It's a form of revenue. Now I've heard that the city I live in doesn't really recycle, but never substantiated that rumor.

Back in the days of spin-ons, I'd sometimes cut them apart for inspection, and sometimes take them whole to the county recycling center---where they insisted I place them on their drain rack, although I'd already drained them more thoroughly than possible by their haphazard system.

I wick most of the oil out of cartridges, inspect to see what they've captured, and store them in my private filter museum. (There have been only 4, so far, and they're small.)

Cartridges that have no end caps should be relatively easy to recycle or incinerate. Ones with plastic end caps, intermediate.

The used oil filter recycle operations I was referring to, are those that collect filters in bulk, from places like lube shops, dealerships, indy shops, dedicated recycle facilities, and such.

The county dump here has a place for oil filters, right near the used oil collection tank.

EDIT: They also take tires, up to 4 per day per resident, for free.

The county dump here has a place for oil filters, right near the used oil collection tank.

EDIT: They also take tires, up to 4 per day per resident, for free.

I am officially jealous. We have nothing of the sort in my community.

When I lived in Kentucky, we had a refuse/recycle center just a few miles out of town. There were bins and tanks for all kinds of different waste. I really miss that.

I have meant to visit the local dealerships and see if they will let me drop off my used oil filters and coolant, but never have.

The county will accept them here. Tues. Thur. and all day Saturday they accept HHW like antifreeze and brake fluid.

"...dump my antifreeze in the toilet...."
pretty bad for the town/city treatment plant / ur septic system & the rest of the environment.
Increases costs if city/suburban dweller.
Kills the microbiome that goes to wrk on the chit'n rest of it in these systems...

"...dump my antifreeze in the toilet...."
pretty bad for the town/city treatment plant / ur septic system & the rest of the environment.
Increases costs if city/suburban dweller.
Kills the microbiome that goes to wrk on the chit'n rest of it in these systems...

The Missouri Department of Natural Resources encourages the prudent recycling of all waste antifreeze. However, if a batch of waste antifreeze is nonhazardous, it may be solidified to the point that no free liquids remain, and the wastes may then be disposed of at a sanitary landfill.

Also, if the facility is connected to a sanitary sewer that discharges to a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW) and the wastes will mix with domestic sewage, the waste antifreeze may be disposed in the sanitary sewer on-site. Before such disposal, the POTW must be contacted to verify they allow waste antifreeze in their system. You must obtain permission and retain documented permission to discharge to the POTW. Waste antifreeze may never be discharged to storm sewers, septic systems, streams or be dumped on the ground.

Also found a document that says ethylene glycol is broken down by both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria.

not all the chem in there by each 'bug'.
Did they evolve in that enviornment?
My bet? U didn't either so having it in our water (soil, ground) is not healthful for us never mind the the cost to replace 'them'.

not all the chem in there by each 'bug'.
Did they evolve in that enviornment?
My bet? U didn't either so having it in our water (soil, ground) is not healthful for us never mind the the cost to replace 'them'.

Ethylene glycol is but one example of a chemical that bacteria can break down but is harmful to humans and other creatures with livers and kidneys.

Reactions: mva
Back