Do old filters expire or go bad?

Hey guys, I know an old timer that used to run a wholesale business.
He has TONS of oil filters left over from when the business closed in 2015.

He has about 12 of these old pro/gauge filters for my old 7.3 idi.

They were stored in a building with no huge moisture issues. They aren’t rusty.
IMG_0899.jpeg

Would you use them? He told me to take them all and use them because he doesn’t want to see them wasted and he will never use them since he’s a 6.5 Detroit owner.

IMG_0897.jpeg

IMG_0893.jpeg

IMG_0896.jpeg

IMG_0901.jpeg

No moisture issues, no rust, I'm guessing pretty steady temp inside?

I'd run them.

I have filters that sit in an exterior garage for 2-3 years at a time with large temperature changes that still look great. These in your photos look good.

If you really want to know for sure... cut one open. Since they're free, I'd sacrifice one for the peace of mind. Then you'll be able to tell if the filter media has gotten brittle, or if there's excess dried out glue inside that could possibly break away.

Last edited:
As mentioned, if storage environment is decent should be ok. Iirc, had a Bosch Distance Plus that was ~9 years old that I ran and posted c&p, it was fine. But, it was stored inside and the BD+ came in a very nice clear plastic box. @mrsilv04 beat me to it, but I was going to say same thing. If in real doubt, pick a sample, cut it open and check it out. What I see in pics, looks fine though.

If they're as good as this one you posted I'd not think twice about running them. Love to hear there's still some IDI's out running around.

If they're as good as this one you posted I'd not think twice about running them. Love to hear there's still some IDI's out running around.
I love my idi diesels. I’ve had two 7.3s and will be buying either another 7.3 or an old 6.9 bullnose crew cab very soon!

They are reliable, but slow. But I’m fine with that. These things definitely are a labor of love!

I cut one open and will be posting another thread very soon! They look great

I love my idi diesels. I’ve had two 7.3s and will be buying either another 7.3 or an old 6.9 bullnose crew cab very soon!

They are reliable, but slow. But I’m fine with that. These things definitely are a labor of love!

I cut one open and will be posting another thread very soon! They look great

I’m looking forward to some used
Cut open filter posts too. Any pics of your fleet? Thank You and beautiful baby sir 😍😍

Back