Oil Drain Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like this Boating topic.

I too would like more activity, since I know very little about the boating market. I know that this is a huge untapped market and I currently like in Virginia Beach so this should be a no brainer.

Anyhow, I ran into a guy that does charters. He has a really nice boat:
The "CAPT’N CAPT’N" is a 1998 26 ft. Shamrock 260 Mackinaw powered by an efficient Cummins 220 hp turbo diesel engine.

Does anyone know what the factory recommended drains are? I would assume it would be in hours?

Also what type of Oil/Air/Fuel filtration systems are on this rig??

Thanks for the info.

I talked with the captain of a small (70+ ft) tour boat in Dulth MN. He said they put about 3000 hours per year on the engines which were twin deisels. They run them at 3000-4000 rpm's all day. They service them every 2-4 weeks. They rebuild the engines every 2-3 years. I didn't ask what oil they use, because i figured he would not know.

Most recommended oil drains in marine engines like what you are talking about is avg 200-250hrs.

Majority of those use a str 40wt oil. Most commonly used is the delo 400 40wt.

A lot of these guys also have a diesel generator that may be the DDC(detroit two stroke) and is not aware of chevrons new updated tech info regarding the recommendation of not using their oil anymore for that application. This is something when talking with them, You should inquire about as to if they do use the detroit 2stroke.

Another area is in the clutch system.

Many have a special oil filtration system that some salesman has sold them telling them they can go 1000 hrs without an oil change with that filter. More times than most, the installation of this unit causes oil pressure drop and does not provide the type of service they are looking for.
I have a bunch of shrimpers who have since pulled them out.

The boaters that are using my Schaeffers 107 40wt mineral oil are running with great success between 400-1000hr drain intervals now with oil analysis, Whereas the delo 400 they had, would not go that far.

Other areas to look at is grease. Many are using the standard lithium complex based grease and experience water intrusion, Some also have open gears and are using tar on the gears to keep them quite, but after it hardens then it cracks off and run's dry again.

Hope that helps.

bob

One other thing I forgot to mention... In a lot of these older boats, the top of their fuel tanks tend to rust out and water and alge gets into their fuel system.

I had several that were purging 1/2 to 1 and 1/2 cups of water off every day before starting and even more if raining. I set them up with our DT2000 fuel treatment, and that completely eliminated any water in those systems. Average shrimp boat holds 2,000 gals of fuel per tank, some with 4 tanks. The additive I sell them will service 2000 gals per 1 gal so they really go nuts over that as it also reduces the smoke and smell out of the exhaust.

Mike,

Go with the AME. Drains will be in hours, I see 100 hours a lot in marine and farm equipment. Oil and air filters will be similar to stock.

We'll still go 3x longer in this app without analysis, and extend with analysis. The same benefits of our lubes for trucks and farm equipment will pertain to the marine units. And the bypass filters work great for the same reasons - especially the water removal.

If this boat is run a lot, sounds like it is, his performance will be closer to 'highway driving' than city for cars and trucks. Sitting around at the marina will be similar on lubes and fuels to the 'vette that comes out of the garage on Sunday afternoon.

Our diesel additives work just as well in this service as on land.

Marine use is the perfect application of our history of extending drain intervals.

Enjoy,
Andy

[ January 12, 2003, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: Andy H ]

My manual for 3.0L Merc requires oil change every 100 hrs or annually. I understand the 100 hrs (equivalent of 6000 miles of highway driving in cars, IMO) but 12 months is much longer than usually required in the car world (6-7.5 months or 3-5 months of severe service).
I thought the marine service is more severe, so where this discrepancy is coming from?
Thanks.

Normal change interval for a marine diesel is 100 hr for intermittent use or 250 hr continuous (i.e. commercial fishing). MTBR is typically 10,000+ hr for a Cummins or Cat. Moisture is the biggest problem as discussed above. A fuel pressure gauge is good idea to let you know when the fuel filter is going down hill before the engine starts to run poorly. Poison the fuel on a regular basis since many marine fuel docks already have contaminated diesel.

I would use AME if I still had my diesel powered boat. Probably fine for once a year changes with intermittent use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back