Oil choice for larger Generac generator...

Hey guys. It's oil change time on my generator and I'm trying to decide the best choice in oil for year round use from what I have to use here. I'm also interested in some suggestions on if there is something better to use in future changes. The generator is a large, portable 15Kw model and I've just crossed the 30 hour threshold to change out the break in oil that I put in new. The break in oil is Generac conventional SAE 30. Here is the model information:

It's a 30HP v-twin OHV engine with a spin on filter and oil cooler. It's taken me a few years to get to those first 30 hours of use, but it does power the whole house when we have an extended outage. I'm in NH, and it can get pretty cold here, but also hot in the summer. I don't use it enough to change the oil every season, so I'm trying to find the best all around weight for 100 hour change intervals.

The manufacturer suggests SAE 30 over 40 degrees, 10W-30 from 40 degrees down to 10 degrees, and synthetic 5W-30 below 10 degrees. I am planning on using synthetic year round, and I've got a few flavors of Penzoil Platinum here to use. I've got both normal and "high mileage" 5W-30, as well as "normal" 10W-30. I was leaning towards the 10W-30, but I've been reading some suggestions of using synthetic 5W-30 year round from Generac, as well as some posters in this forum suggesting the use of synthetic automotive oils are not the best choice on these air cooled engines. I've also seen mention of the "high mileage" variants of automotive synthetics have a more ideal additive package for these engines.

I do also have a jug of Rotella T1 SAE30...but it seems not ideal for year round use. So, what do you guys think? Also, what are some other suggestions for future changes if the PP is not ideal longer term?

Thanks!

I really like Mobil 1 0W-40 in generators. Easy to start when its cold and it can take the summer heat.

As do I. I run it in everything from my kubota diesel, honda 2K's yamaha 3K

I ran several OCI test on my commercially used kubota to see what the OCI should really be and I was able to run an easy 300 hours on it (double the factory 150 ) with hardly any sign of wear. posted here guys were asking why I wasnt running a diesel oil, not much point when 0w-40 is so universal and cheap

UD

I did some research on the M1 0w-40 and it doesn't seem cheap or readily available around here. I'll keep looking. :)

Thanks for the info. What are the particular needs of a air cooled generator engine over something automotive? What sort of things should I pay attention to. It took me a few years to hit 30-40 hours of runtime, so if I stick to the recommended change interval of 100 hours, it's going to be long periods in between changes. For peace of mind I may just change every other year if I can settle on something that works well. It's nice having a spin on filter and it only takes just over 1.5 quarts a change.

If I use something for now like the Penzoil Platinum 5W-30, is there an advantage to using the high mileage variant?

Generators sit, until you need them. They run and then they sit again. So more chances of moisture and combustion acid to be neutalized by the oil. And they are used in some cases all seasons, vs other ope that are summer only.

So, in general, is a more diesel oriented oil a better choice than normal automotive synthetic? I could also just go with the Generac 5W-30 synthetic I suppose. Thanks for the information guys.

I currently have Delo 5W40 LE in my Briggs 15 HP industrial engine generator. I'd run either a good 0w40 or a good 5w40 synthetic oil in yours.

I picked up a gallon of Rotella T6 5W-40 on sale and I'll see how it works. A gallon jug will be good for two changes, but at $16 I might get two. I see Amazon Basics has a 0W-40, but I don't know much about it.

No more than you run it , the cost of oil is not going to be a big consideration . What do the filters cost ?

Also curious if the oil cooler has any bearing on things? I'm assuming most don't have one, but I'm just guessing.

No more than you run it , the cost of oil is not going to be a big consideration . What do the filters cost ?

The filters are $8 - $9.

I did some research on the M1 0w-40 and it doesn't seem cheap or readily available around here. I'll keep looking. :)

This is the first time I’ve read this here. You mentioned Pennzoil synthetic... The M1 is basically the same price at WM with the exception of their various rollbacks throughout the year. If your local store doesn’t have it, you can always buy it online.

Youd have to look online and be willing to pay a bit more , but I’d run Rotella T6 5w30 or Castrol Edge 5w30 A3/B4. Youre only changing it every other year or less. 0w40 would work as well, but it’s technically not in the manual if you’re worried.

Otherwise, any 5w30 or 10w30 synthetic will work.

Amsoil Small Engine Oil
AES 5w30
ASE 10w30
Also the option of the use of a 0w40 would be
AFF 0w40 Formula Four Stroke oil
The pick of any of them and you wouldn’t go wrong and spec built four air cooled engine.

Back