New generator up keep

I store my Gasoline generator with VP-C9 fuel that never goes bad. Start it once a year. 25 years down the road, no issues what so ever. The little beast has thousands of hours on it now.

Note, I don't run it on VP-C9, for that I use regular fuel. It is easy to run it out when done with it, and put in the VP fuel.
I absolutely do the same thing I have 3+ year old C9 in the tank now exercise it in spring and fall few minutes with a heat gun and put it back in storage.

:O I didn't know that loading each side was a thing. Would this apply to a Honda EU22i?
The Honda EU2200i (in the USA) is only 120V. You can plug a single load into it to exercise it.
I believe the 220V versions of them are for those countries that use 220V as the nominal household power. Likewise, you would only need to plug one load into it.

Shouldn't run any engine without a load. As for a modern non-diesel generator, it's an old wives tale. Doesn't do any good to exercise a generator without testing its capability tho. An inverter generator shouldn't be ran at idle for glazing and carbon reasons, the inverter itself doesn't care. A regular generator runs at 3600rpm which is a significant load in and of itself, and the powerhead doesn't care if you use it or not.

Just in case his racing generator runs out of oil pressure on the salt flats.

I'm not sure I'd agree that all powerheads don't care if you use them or not.

Although its never happened to me a generator powerhead can de-magnetize if not put under some kind of load for a sustained period.

For fuel by the time I source non ethanol gas and stabilize it, I might as well pic up a 5-er of sunoco super 95 it has a shelf life of two years.

Although its never happened to me a generator powerhead can de-magnetize if not put under some kind of load for a sustained period.
Almost all generators made in the last 20 years have permanent magnets and don't rely on residual magnetism. A permanent magnet generator doesn't get re-magnetized by running, it doesn't create enough power to have an effect.

Almost all generators made in the last 20 years have permanent magnets and don't rely on residual magnetism. A permanent magnet generator doesn't get re-magnetized by running, it doesn't create enough power to have an effect.

The reason you used the world "almost" in your quote is the reason I said " not sure Id agree all" in mine.

The reason you used the world "almost" in your quote is the reason I said " not sure Id agree all" in mine.

Poeple inherit, fix, or get used and older genesets all the time.
I can imagine an old Briggs - but the Chonda motors must be on cat years - or at least the fuel system is 😵‍💫

I can imagine an old Briggs - but the Chonda motors must be on cat years - or at least the fuel system is 😵‍💫

Ive seen new stuff come with what looks like "mix and match" parts.

I run my 20 year old Troy Bilt 5500/8500 Briggs 10 HP for 30 minutes every few months with an old Craftsman halogen bulbs work light hooked up. Rotella T5 15w40 and it typically starts on the first pull.

Yep - I keep a spare pull start and spare carb for the smaller gens …
I conveniently store both of mine on my snowblower. 😁

Seriously though, I have a propane/ gasoline carburetor so I "dry out" any old petrol by running on propane for a minute.

I drain the fuel - and I mean drain every drop -

Change the oil - remove spark plug add a teaspoon of oil - pull the starter cords a few times to distribute oil / install a new spark plug if it has had 100+ hours.

Clean the air filter let it dry - oil it.

Pull the starter until I get compression - all valves are closed.

Put it back in the box it came in and don't worry about it until the next storm / power outage.

Running a generator every month - that I will need once every 7 or 8 years is not worth it.

A generator should make your life easier - not harder -

I do have three generators - one Chinese noisemaker - a Honda EG2800i inverter and a iPower 2000 inverter. So if one fails I can just open another box.

If you want to start - test- and run a generator every month that is OK by me - but I have better things to do - and think it is a waste of time and effort.

Yes doing what I do to store my generators is a little bit of work - but I think after a couple months I am way ahead.

YMMV

Back