Oil change intervals

What color is the truck
You’ll probably be ok. I’d just do 5,000 from here on out. This truck isn’t the only one to go 14k on an oil change. It’s actually quite frequent at the dealership we see a lot of people skipping oil changes.

I’ve seen lots of cars (Toyota in particular) with consumption issues and a history of extended oil change intervals but no way really to link that to being the cause though it is likely.
It definitely doesn’t have a “history” of it though, just the one time and I intend to keep it that way. Also although it’s definitely not good, do you think it’s also not “bad” per say considering the 0w-20 oil and the fact that it was over an 11 month period?

It definitely doesn’t have a “history” of it though, just the one time and I intend to keep it that way. Also although it’s definitely not good, do you think it’s also not “bad” per se considering the 0w-20 oil and the fact that it was over an 11 month period?
I’d say in the middle. At least it didn’t extend past a year. At that point I’d be worried. At least they used the proper oil spec when they were over.

I’d say in the middle. At least it didn’t extend past a year. At that point I’d be worried. At least they used the proper oil spec when they were over.
So do you think this truck still has a chance of lasting me a long time as long as I keep up on the maintenance?

So do you think this truck still has a chance of lasting me a long time as long as I keep up on the maintenance?
Oh boy... You're here seeking reassurances, aren't you? Please allow me to ease your worries: you're going to be fine, your truck will last you for a very long time, and there is nothing to worry about.

It definitely doesn’t have a “history” of it though, just the one time and I intend to keep it that way. Also although it’s definitely not good, do you think it’s also not “bad” per say considering the 0w-20 oil and the fact that it was over an 11 month period?

🎹🎹. 🎣

My brother was very bad about getting his Corolla (now mine, in my sig) to me for oil changes-he would sometimes go 13-14K (mostly highway miles) without changing it. Well, it’s now over 168K, and about 3000 miles into it‘s second M1 5W20 HM OCI-and it has burned ZERO oil! Dipstick & fill cap look basically clean!

I know on the 5.7L Toyota recommends 10K intervals. You can cut it down 6000-7500 miles. My Tacoma 4.0L recommends 5K. I do 5500-6500 intervals. Started with M1EP and Amsoil XL. Did a few runs with Amsoil SS for 10K. 125K on her now.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 18
Miles on oil is way more detrimental than time if the vehicle isn't massively short tripped, making sure it gets to full operating temperature most of the times it's driven. Been a few members here that have sports cars they don't drive a lot, and have ran oil for 2 or 3 years with maybe a max of 2000-3000 miles on the oil. They did a UOA and it showed the oil was still in very good condition.

Truck should last a while and those extended change intervals probably won't hurt a thing.

The Toyota interval is 10k miles.

Engine sump + filter change requires 8.5 quarts, so it's not like running all those miles on a 4 quart sump or something.

Oh boy... You're here seeking reassurances, aren't you? Please allow me to ease your worries: you're going to be fine, your truck will last you for a very long time, and there is nothing to worry about.
Don't worry about it. One stunt won't hurt athing. If it were mine I'd use a Castrol edge 5w-40. And no high viscosity is no issue.
The way I see it is one extended oil change interval is no different than doing heavy towing or hualing ass everywhere, both put strain and wear and tear on the engine. So when does it become a problem, just when it it was a regular thing?

The way I see it is one extended oil change interval is no different than doing heavy towing or hualing ass everywhere, both put strain and wear and tear on the engine. So when does it become a problem, just when it it was a regular thing?
Have you given any thought to the transmission fluid? What about the transfer case and the differentials?

The way I see it is one extended oil change interval is no different than doing heavy towing or hualing ass everywhere, both put strain and wear and tear on the engine. So when does it become a problem, just when it it was a regular thin
Have you given any thought to the transmission fluid? What about the transfer case and the differentials?
It’s only at 44000 miles

Tundra engines (5.7L V8) are very easy on oil. Even after 5K miles, my oil looks VERY clean!

Color wise, even my 20 years old MPFI V6 is very easy on oil.
btw, experts say color don't matter cuz they are stock holders in UOA companies. lol J/K

With a small displacement DI, a different story. Our 2.4L oil looks like tar after few K miles ... but even then one or two long oci won't harm it.

What did people do before carfax? Just go and kick your tires!

Some argue a V8 Tundra at 44K miles is just breaking in. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back