Oil change from above

Draining the oil conventionally by removing the drain plug, I could change both the oil and filter of my Mazda "from above."
Neither is possible on the Prius, although I can take out the oil with a transfer pump.

I like the topside changes however my MityVac has a small leak in the bottom of the tank. I haven't tried to repair it yet and hope I don't have to throw it away.

I like the topside changes however my MityVac has a small leak in the bottom of the tank. I haven't tried to repair it yet and hope I don't have to throw it away.
I have contacted several companies seeking replacements for parts that were damaged or which caused an issue.

I misplaced a sheath for a Microplane grater and the company sent me an entire unit free of charge.

I dropped and broke the lid on my Le Creuset pot. It was more than 20 years old when I contacted them. They offered to replace the pot at a steep discount.

I needed a handle for one of my insulated bottles and the company sent me one.

I wanted to upgrade the cutting blade on the Cuisinart food processor and Cuisinart helped me find the correct part and sent the upgrade.

The point is to call the company and see if they can help you.

I'd feel more comfortable changing my oil with an extractor of any type, if It could get all the oil it sucked out. Then change the filter, then pull the drain plug to see how much is left in the pan. If it only had a few ounces left, It would be good enough for me. Now it it was half a qt or more, hard pass on that idea.,,,
I did a test on our GS350. Extracted the oil, pulled the plug and even tipped the car in direction of the plug. Not enough came out to cover half the oil drain pan. More than many would do... I used to be super anal about this; no longer.

I swap the filter every 2nd, or heaven forbid, 3rd service. Generally 4500 to 5K OCI. Since it is so easy and clean, there is little reason to put off the job.

Having said this, some oil pans are poorly suited for top side services.

MitiVac sent me a replacement unit n/c for a similar issue, good luck.
I tested mine out again today and it wasn't leaking at all. I must have leaked a little out of the tube last time and thought I had a leak. All is well with my MityVac. I like that little unit and it works well on my Honda Civic and my wife's Jeep GC.

At 83 I'm ready to try OC from above on my VW. Whch device do you recommend for entrance into this proceedure?
Thanks for the advice, hope I'm not stealing a post.
Smoky

At 83 I'm ready to try OC from above on my VW. Whch device do you recommend for entrance into this proceedure?
Thanks for the advice, hope I'm not stealing a post.
Smoky
Smoky,

I bought the cheap electric pump on Amazon (PLUMIA 12V 100W Oil Change Pump Extractor) for about $20 last year. It comes with all the tubes and clamps you need. Easy job. If your VW is like mine with the drop in oil filter like mine, a Mann filter of some type will go in easily. Doing it this way is real easy: drop the tube in the dipstick tube and turn the pump on and wait. Make sure you are pumping it into your waste oil collector to take to dump at the parts store. You will never climg under your VW again.

Haven't done an oil change from the bottom in over 10 years. I've had no issues getting down to the pan through the dipstick tube on any of the vehicles I've owned, including most Euros and my first-ever new RAM pick-em-up truck.

I have a 6L Schwaben extractor that I've used for years, though it might be time to get a 10L version since both the Bluetec and the RAM have an oil capacity beyond that and I usually end up having to dump some out of the extractor before I can get it all out from the sump. I always have a few empty quart/liter oil bottles available in the garage, but I could probably shave another 5-10min off my time not having to stop.

My Jaguar is designed to have the oil extracted through a tube that is mounted coaxially in the oil filler pipe. The filter is also top mounted, and a cannister type. The car retains a conventional drain plug but one would have to remove all the underbody aerodynamic panels to get to it. I bought a Mityvac and proper torque wrench to torque the cap on the filter housing correctly after changing the filter. It was actually a pleasure to do an oil change, it was almost a surgical-like procedure.

My Mazda CX 5 on the other hand requires pulling it up on Rhino ramps, undoing a panel that is below the drain plug & filter and doing it the old fashioned way. And invariably spilling a little (on the aluminum drip pan) and burning myself and having to take an Advil to ease the aches on my 68 year old body after it's all done.

If the engine is designed for a top extraction, or you are lucky enough that it can be done either way, it is well worth the cost of a pump. Sure, it's never a bad idea to get under your cars for an inspection but that is still easier to do than combining an inspection with an oil & filter change the old fashioned way.

@Smoky14 - If I was getting a pump today I would get the MityVac 7201 since you can also pump out the old oil into waste container etc. I have the cheap Harbor freight one that you need to pour it out into something. I have to get under all my cars for the oil filters anyway and remove panels to get to everything. I have used it multiple times for doing drain (suction out) and fills for transmission and power steering. I did the test once on I think my sons Forte. I put it on ramps as normal, suctioned all out, got under, changed filter and pulled drain plug. I got a slow trickle that went to just drip quickly. Maybe 3-4 ounces total letting it drip for a long time.

My daughters '08, 225k CRV last drain on tranny felt like it was on the verge of stripping the threads when I went to torque it. I presume it was over torqued a couple times over the years prior to me getting it. The only reason I would want to remove that one at this point would be to wipe off the magnet, otherwise I'll just suction it out.

I thought about it for years but never plunked down the cash for a bigger unit operated by an air compressor. Perhaps now is the time with 4 maybe 5 vehicles under my belt.

Extracting might get every single drop out

I hope to try out an extractor on the HRV in the next few months and see if it gives similar results to the video

No thanks I will do it the old way....Good time for a looks see underneath and a light spray of silicone on the cv boots..

Back