Oil change from above

I did an oil change in the VW GTI. I did it from above with an electric pump I have that has a tube that is thin enough to go down the dipstick. The oil change interval is 10000 miles or every 12 months. Last done in 12/22. I have only about 5000 miles on that oil and will let the maintenance shop do the change in December. I did this because I have read that 5000 mile intervals are better for these direct injection, turbo charged engines.

I put in Mobil 1, 0w-40 , European spec with numbers approved by VW.

Attachments

• oil change 2.jpeg
    oil change 2.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 51
Loved topside changes on my VW. Felt like I was stepping back into the past when I got my first Toyota and had to roll around on the ground.

I enjoy doing it the old way... Gives me a chance to look underneath and see if all is OK....
No love here, either I have to get a jack and make space, or I get to stare at the oily mess and rust (depending upon what vehicle).

No love here, either I have to get a jack and make space, or I get to stare at the oily mess and rust (depending upon what vehicle).
I just drive up on the Rhino ramps and do it... Actually on the HRV I can actually do it without lifting ...but I us the ramps to get more clearance and a better look see underneath...

I use an oil extractor also. It works well but on my vehicles doesn't get all the oil out. I think it depends on the configuration of the oil pan.
Underneath I let it drain and have a cup of coffee...

I did an oil change in the VW GTI. I did it from above with an electric pump I have that has a tube that is thin enough to go down the dipstick.
Unless the filter is also changed from above, I don't bother and also have a pneumatic version. You're climbing under the car for the filter anyway, how hard to remove the drain bolt?

Reactions: hrv
Unless the filter is also changed from above, I don't bother and also have a pneumatic version. You're climbing under the car for the filter anyway, how hard to remove the drain bolt?
Plus you get all of the oil out....

I'd feel more comfortable changing my oil with an extractor of any type, if It could get all the oil it sucked out. Then change the filter, then pull the drain plug to see how much is left in the pan. If it only had a few ounces left, It would be good enough for me. Now it it was half a qt or more, hard pass on that idea.,,,

I’ve spent plenty of time crawling under cars to do changes. I have ramps and filter wrenches but this seems easier. I put tube in turned on the pump and cracked open a cold drink. Little chance of rust here in SC so little need for inspection. The shop I trust will put it on lift in December.

thats fine put I like to see underneath while I am changing the oil and the FILTER too...
My filter is on top, so no issue there. Not too much to look at underneath, since it's covered with plastic panels.
I do use ramps though, to get the oil back toward where the dipstick is. That allows me to at least take a peek at the plastic covers.

Reactions: hrv
thats fine put I like to see underneath while I am changing the oil and the FILTER too...
On my VW I would have had to pull the belly pan to do that. Forget if I had to jack the car up to get enough space; probably would have to now, either cars are lower to the ground or I'm a bit more round than before.

I don't know about other VWs, but the EA888 in my GTI has the filter at the top of the engine. I've only ever drained it from the bottom, but I'm not exactly a fan of the plastic drain plug. It's a bit odd.

I don't know about other VWs, but the EA888 in my GTI has the filter at the top of the engine. I've only ever drained it from the bottom, but I'm not exactly a fan of the plastic drain plug. It's a bit odd.
One time use plug? Or multiple use, until it wears out?

Is it worth trying topside, then pulling the plug one last time to "prove" that topside is good enough? Or just prefer bottomside? Not being critical, just wondering, I thought topside was the cat's meow when I had the car that could do it.

The dipstick and filter sit right next to each other within easy reach in my GTI. Wish all vehicles were like this.

Back