Annual oil change.

Got in the car yesterday and the 30 days until oil change reminder scrolled across the info display. The vehicle, 2015 VW Golf TDI, with 58,9XX miles has less than 1,000 miles since last changed 11 months ago. I have plenty of oil and filters but it seems a waste. The schedule is 1 year or 10k miles. I wonder how much the oil degrades with so little driving but a year old. What do you think?

Changing oil in your situation is a waste of good oil especially if you took the car out for a good drive once in a while. I change oil on my infrequently used vehicle every 2-3 years or 3000 miles. I am lucky to drive it 1000 miles in a year , so my situation is mostly based on time. I had several oil analysis done and I was always told I could go even longer but I don't. I never used it for short trip driving. Always for atleast a 20 mile drive.

There is plenty of evidence on this site to show that OCIs past the "... or one year" limit are perfectly fine.
The way in which you can convince yourself it's OK (as others have done) is to get a UOA at that one year point.
If the data says the oil is fine, then you'll know the extension past one year is acceptable. If not, then you still have a credible answer.
The reality is that oil has no idea how old it is; the calendar means nothing to a lube.

I've personally done OCIs out past 3+ years on low-mileage equipment (cars; tractors) and the oil has been absolutely fine.

So you have a choice. Use the testimonials from those of us who've done it many times, or do it and convince yourself.

There is plenty of evidence on this site to show that OCIs past the "... or one year" limit are perfectly fine.
The way in which you can convince yourself it's OK (as others have done) is to get a UOA at that one year point.
If the data says the oil is fine, then you'll know the extension past one year is acceptable. If not, then you still have a credible answer.
The reality is that oil has no idea how old it is; the calendar means nothing to a lube.

I've personally done OCIs out past 3+ years on low-mileage equipment (cars; tractors) and the oil has been absolutely fine.

So you have a choice. Use the testimonials from those of us who've done it many times, or do it and convince yourself.
The UOA is great to know if you need to do it.

For me it's a one of those toss up choices. Do I get a UOA for $40 to know if I can go longer OR spend $35 and change it? Hate wasting good oil. Hate wasting good $$. Hate leaving possibly fuel diluted oil in vehicle due to 500 trips at less than 2 miles each over the course of the year.

Changing oil in your situation is a waste of good oil especially if you took the car out for a good drive once in a while. I change oil on my infrequently used vehicle every 2-3 years or 3000 miles. I am lucky to drive it 1000 miles in a year , so my situation is mostly based on time. I had several oil analysis done and I was always told I could go even longer but I don't. I never used it for short trip driving. Always for atleast a 20 mile drive.
It is definitely dependent on how it is driven. Taking a vehicle out for extra trips solely to preserve the oil doesn’t make sense to me. Assuming 35 mpg and 20 mile trips once a month for a calendar year, it is basically a wash financially. 20 miles x 12 months = 240 miles a year. 240 miles / 35 mpg = 6.85 gallons of extra fuel annually. $3.14 (national average for 87 octane) x 6.85 gallons = $21.53. Which is about the same as 5 qts of oil. So pick your poison.

I noted yesterday that my F-150 has accumulated just under 1K miles since OC in January 23. It will be at least another year, probably spring 2025 before I change it out. When I do take it out it is not short tripped.

This april, i will be at 2 years and about 4k miles on HPL in my truck. I will change it and get a uoa. I suspect i could probably go another year, but a UOA will tell. I worry more about the filter ( fram ultra ) at 2 years than the oil !

Last edited:
The UOA is great to know if you need to do it.

For me it's a one of those toss up choices. Do I get a UOA for $40 to know if I can go longer OR spend $35 and change it? Hate wasting good oil. Hate wasting good $$. Hate leaving possibly fuel diluted oil in vehicle due to 500 trips at less than 2 miles each over the course of the year.

1) not all UOAs are $40 UOAs; there are cheaper options out there which are reliable

2) If you spend that "$40" once, you then have knowledge that you can use for the future. Whereas if you continue to spend the "$35" each year, it's a reoccurring cost.

Hence: $40 once is a LOT less money than $35 over and over and over and over ....
Many times people actually discover they can go three or four years for their low mileage OCIs.

You pay up front, and the savings comes down the road.

Thanks for the replies. The car is mostly short tripped but I do take it out once in a while just for a regen. 10-15 miles above 2k rpm accomplishes this. I am inclined to go another year or at least 3k miles before I change it. I am more worried about the filters holding up as they are cellulose I believe, Hengst. I have a ton of oil and filters on hand, they can collect dust I suppose.

peace of mind is a factor as well...if it's bothersome to you, and you can afford to, change it, if not...don't

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Thanks for the replies. The car is mostly short tripped but I do take it out once in a while just for a regen. 10-15 miles above 2k rpm accomplishes this. I am inclined to go another year or at least 3k miles before I change it. I am more worried about the filters holding up as they are cellulose I believe, Hengst. I have a ton of oil and filters on hand, they can collect dust I suppose.
Does it lose oil on a filter change ? With my 5.3L’s it does - then a fresh quart joins the party for additional miles …

I'm in a similar situation doing very low annual miles. It's extremely rare for my car to be used for less than an 8 mile trip with 90% being much longer journeys. I've been doing two year oil and filter changes for some time now and see no problems with ordinary cellulose filters holding up. From what I read the need for synthetic filters on a 2 year OCI is very much a US thing. I don't recall it ever being mentioned in the UK even when the car manufacturers were recommending 2 year 15,000 mile service intervals.

I always have oil and filters on hand but it's such a waste to change high quality oil after only a couple of thousand miles of highway use.

Back