Oil change cardboard box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burning waste to make electricity is a good idea but the Greenies will have none of it. We had such a plant in our area, now trash is hauled hundreds of miles over the mountains to a landfill in a desolate prairie. Out of sight, out of mind.

That bio-generation plant could even burn rubber and with the technology in place including scrubbers the only result out of the smokestack was a wisp of white smoke.

To respond to a post above...I have no problem with "forced recycling".
I just take the opportunity to mention that it is likely coming. And yes, it was John Deere, not Toro.

It's funny to see the people who cuss me out for mentioning it and those who assume I hate the idea.

I'm just the messenger (or interpreter of the news).

PLUS: I'm all for bottle recycling be they new plastic or old fashioned glass! The more recycling we have, the less "boom and bust" we'll have (according to a learned economics guy I knew).

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
Seems ridiculous to be honest.

I like how it says "The Pollution Solution!" despite making more pollution and using more resources than just draining the oil, putting it into a re-usable container and bringing it to a recycling center. Every part of it makes no sense.

Because the other option to dispose oil in Hawai'i is to pour it down the storm drain. There is no place that takes used oil here (even oil change places or friggin Unitek.) The only way for residents to dispose oil is to use these boxes, throw it in the trash where it gets sent to H-POWER and is incinerated to create electricity.

The key with these boxes is to seal the inner bag tight using a zip tie and throw it in a garbage bag so it won't explode all in your trash can. It helps to do your OCI's prior to trash pickup day so it's not sitting in the bottom of the bin all week long.
It then seems the solution should be for the local Hawaii government to develop a process for recycling oil. If the local Hawaiian government can't get off their [censored] and get that done, such that the end result is people using this or dumping it into a storm drain (which is absolutely insane), someone hasn't done their job. This is the bare minimum a functioning government should provide unless they want a cumulative exxon valdez around their pristine picturesque waters.

My main problem with this product is that it involves taking used oil which contains highly toxic compounds, carcinogens and heavy metals, dousing "absorbent material" in it within a cardboard box, then I'm assuming the whole box is burned, at which point where do all of those toxic, carcinogens and heavy metals go (assuming no scrubber or capture system at the exhaust of the power plant)?

We also now no longer have all three of those resources available to re-use, they're gone forever. Imagine this happening on an industrial scale. I'd say it's a blessing most people probably don't use this. Contrast this to just pouring used oil into an inert plastic container and recycling the used oil. That plastic container can also still be recycled if the oil is cleaned out of it (but it will probably last a lifetime though so...), I've had my drain pan and containers for decades.

I'm not a tree hugger either, I just think that if there's responsible recycling solutions within reach that are trivial to do (like oil recycling at any store), we have the moral responsibility to do it for this one planet we have left. No littering, don't throw your cigarette butts on the ground, that kind of stuff.

I don't technically have a problem with burning waste to generate electricity but my definition of "waste" is something that can't be recycled and is at the end of its lifecycle (like spoiled food). Cardboard, absorbent materials (made of...paper/fiber?) and used oil are so far from that definition. Used oil can be recycled infinitely, we're never going to get more of it after we pump all of it out of the ground. It behooves us to recycle it as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
Seems ridiculous to be honest.

I like how it says "The Pollution Solution!" despite making more pollution and using more resources than just draining the oil, putting it into a re-usable container and bringing it to a recycling center. Every part of it makes no sense.

Because the other option to dispose oil in Hawai'i is to pour it down the storm drain. There is no place that takes used oil here (even oil change places or friggin Unitek.) The only way for residents to dispose oil is to use these boxes, throw it in the trash where it gets sent to H-POWER and is incinerated to create electricity.

The key with these boxes is to seal the inner bag tight using a zip tie and throw it in a garbage bag so it won't explode all in your trash can. It helps to do your OCI's prior to trash pickup day so it's not sitting in the bottom of the bin all week long.
It then seems the solution should be for the local Hawaii government to develop a process for recycling oil. If the local Hawaiian government can't get off their [censored] and get that done, such that the end result is people using this or dumping it into a storm drain (which is absolutely insane), someone hasn't done their job. This is the bare minimum a functioning government should provide unless they want a cumulative exxon valdez around their pristine picturesque waters.

My main problem with this product is that it involves taking used oil which contains highly toxic compounds, carcinogens and heavy metals, dousing "absorbent material" in it within a cardboard box, then I'm assuming the whole box is burned, at which point where do all of those toxic, carcinogens and heavy metals go (assuming no scrubber or capture system at the exhaust of the power plant)?

We also now no longer have all three of those resources available to re-use, they're gone forever. Imagine this happening on an industrial scale. I'd say it's a blessing most people probably don't use this. Contrast this to just pouring used oil into an inert plastic container and recycling the used oil. That plastic container can also still be recycled if the oil is cleaned out of it (but it will probably last a lifetime though so...), I've had my drain pan and containers for decades.

I'm not a tree hugger either, I just think that if there's responsible recycling solutions within reach that are trivial to do (like oil recycling at any store), we have the moral responsibility to do it for this one planet we have left. No littering, don't throw your cigarette butts on the ground, that kind of stuff.

I don't technically have a problem with burning waste to generate electricity but my definition of "waste" is something that can't be recycled and is at the end of its lifecycle (like spoiled food). Cardboard, absorbent materials (made of...paper/fiber?) and used oil are so far from that definition. Used oil can be recycled infinitely, we're never going to get more of it if we pump all of it out. It behooves us to recycle it as much as possible.

Or force people to go to oil change places. Unitek is the only oil recycling company here and they only recycle oil from commercial accounts/oil change places. They do not take drop offs or offer residential services and they will tell you to dispose used oil in these boxes.

I recall them being in many auto stores and K marts ,Shopkos , Walmarts, I never noticed right away that the image that I found on line says Hawaii. Maybe the product originated there. I do not think they make them anymore as I have not seen that product around for a very long time. Might be useful for someone who lives in an apartment and has a vehicle with lots of ground clearance then they could use that without having to mess with a oil pan and transferring oil to another container. If the product still exists it is not marketed here in Lincoln Ne as I have not seen them for many many years now. I was actually surprised to find an online image of the product.

Last time I used one was back in the early 90's
I changed oil on a hot engine and melted the plastic liner

Yes I remember seeing these types of convenience products back in the day but I immediately laughed it off as nonsense. "Oil Eater" LOL... pure marketing hype. No wonder it didn't take off. Granted not everyone has the facility to drain pan into jug and take to shop for recycling, but this... is incredibly wasteful and lazy. 'Murica!

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Burning waste to make electricity is a good idea but the Greenies will have none of it. We had such a plant in our area, now trash is hauled hundreds of miles over the mountains to a landfill in a desolate prairie. Out of sight, out of mind.

That bio-generation plant could even burn rubber and with the technology in place including scrubbers the only result out of the smokestack was a wisp of white smoke.

We have one down near Lake Ontario, it's the Durham-York Energy Centre, which burns through ~140,000 tonnes of garbage a year and in the process, generates approximately 14MW of power. Metals and the like are extracted from the ash post-incineration.

Emissions data from the facility can be found here:
https://www.durhamyorkwaste.ca/EmissionsData/EmissionsData.aspx

There is also a FAQ that covers, in detail, the operation of the facility that can be found here:
https://www.durhamyorkwaste.ca/FAQ/FAQ.aspx

Of course there are scrubbers! We are on a island, we can't put all our garbage in landfills or on a barge and float it down the river like NYC. What then are we gonna do with it? How about putting it to good use?

https://www.covanta.com/Our-Facilities/Covanta-Honolulu

This only happens on the main island of Oahu. On the outer islands waste oil is collected and sent to recycling facilities.

Here's a new waste to engineered fuel plant that's been set-up in my state.

Initially to feed the cement industry and displace 100,000T of coal, and may soon be providing some aux steam for power stations.

It's not just shovelling diapers and toxic waste into boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back