Oil in Carton...

instead of oil in quart or gallon containers. I didn't realize the 12 quart box of oil I recently purchased amounted to oil in a large plastic container with a spigot instead of the more conventional containers.. I used it, but it sure isn't as EZ to keep count how much you put in...

I'm not sure if I like this new packaging or if it will be a PITA.
one thing for sure is it doesn't lend itself to being refilled with dirty used oil and taken to the recycling center.

Boxed oil users generally keep an old quart and gallon/5 qt.-liter jug (with their respective caps) around for measuring.

I bought a catch pan with a pouring spout years ago and use an old metal USN water can (8 gallons?) as my 'dump 'n transport.

I used it, but it sure isn't as EZ to keep count how much you put in...
How did you pour the oil in ? Sounds like you held the box over the fill hole 😳

Use a measuring device, whether it's an old 1-quart bottle or a proper measuring cup/jug, and transfer.

How did you pour the oil in ? Sounds like you held the box over the fill hole 😳

Use a measuring device, whether it's an old 1-quart bottle or a proper measuring cup/jug, and transfer.
I used a quart measuring cup and a funnel. Jury is still out on this carton though, at least for me.

instead of oil in quart or gallon containers. I didn't realize the 12 quart box of oil I recently purchased amounted to oil in a large plastic container with a spigot instead of the more conventional containers.. I used it, but it sure isn't as EZ to keep count how much you put in...

I'm not sure if I like this new packaging or if it will be a PITA.
one thing for sure is it doesn't lend itself to being refilled with dirty used oil and taken to the recycling center.
Buy a motor oil pitcher.

Use a reusable container for recycling used oil.

Then if you want to get really fancy you can build a rack but then that's a commitment.

$20 to >$50 for an oil pour jug when an empty bottle/jug can do the job for free?
A quart bottle can be kept in a Zip-Lock bag for cleanliness. Or use its cap.
A gallon/5 liter jug might require too large a Zip-Lock bag, so just use it's cap.

Oil transfer jugs such as those suggested attract dirt starting right after their first use.
The garage I worked at had a "professional" one and it leaked and was vile.

Back