Oil Catch Can Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Makes sense there with GDi and no port injector (I assume).

That looks like the WORLD engine:

Jeep, Chrysler, Mitsu, Hyundai

The 2.4L Thetta is strictly a Hyundai/KIA design/application.

The 2.4L Theta II is a variant of the World Engine (Global Engine Alliance) that involved Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi

I have a model specific OCC/air-oil separator on the 1.6 EcoBoost (turbo GDI) in my Fiesta ST.

Does it totally prevent the dreaded back of intake valve deposits?
OF COURSE NOT, but it does help a little, and maybe, just maybe will delay by a bit of time the co$tly, inevitable, walnut shell blasting procedure to fully clean them.

Since the Hellcat is port injected, it is not as critical for THIS purpose, but I had one on my port injected 4th gen Z28's LS1 because I did not want all of that oil mist going into the combustion chamber, and reducing the fuel's octane (there was MUCH wet oil in the intake manifold of that engine whenever I removed it for a full cleaning/gasket replacement BEFORE the OCC installation).

THAT is WHY I would do this mod on a boosted Hellcat/Demon product.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: trooplewis
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Makes sense there with GDi and no port injector (I assume).

That looks like the WORLD engine:

Jeep, Chrysler, Mitsu, Hyundai

The 2.4L Thetta is strictly a Hyundai/KIA design/application.

The 2.4L Theta II is a variant of the World Engine (Global Engine Alliance) that involved Chrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi

"The Global Engine Alliance was a joint venture between Chrysler, Mitsubishi Motors, and the Hyundai Motor Company for developing a line of shared 4-cylinder engines. The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. However, each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their needs. In 2009, Chrysler bought out Mitsubishi and Hyundai's stake in the joint-venture; however, each company retained rights to build the engines."

But this 2.4L is only found in Hyundai/Kia products.

I have a 2009 Suburban. One day I drove it fifty miles to a trail head, went for about a three hour bicycle ride and returned and started my truck. I fogged out the entire parking lot with oil smoke. It had never done that before. When I got home, I popped off the throttle body and found my entire intake coated with oil. I swapped the driver side valve cover for the updated Chevy improved baffle valve cover and added a Moroso catch can.
I expected to find nothing in the catch can ever because of the valve cover but every time I change the oil, I drain the can and I always get about 4 tablespoons of oil out of it. I'm glad I installed it.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I have a 2009 Suburban. One day I drove it fifty miles to a trail head, went for about a three hour bicycle ride and returned and started my truck. I fogged out the entire parking lot with oil smoke. It had never done that before. When I got home, I popped off the throttle body and found my entire intake coated with oil. I swapped the driver side valve cover for the updated Chevy improved baffle valve cover and added a Moroso catch can.
I expected to find nothing in the catch can ever because of the valve cover but every time I change the oil, I drain the can and I always get about 4 tablespoons of oil out of it. I'm glad I installed it.

That is the one I also had on my LS1 in the Z28.

There was always a couple of ounces drained out of it at every 1500 mile interval.

How were the zillions of engines manufactured over the years and run hundreds of thousands of miles with simple oil changes able to make it without catch cans?
Theory?
The was once born an incredible salesman........

Originally Posted By: DavidJones
How were the zillions of engines manufactured over the years and run hundreds of thousands of miles with simple oil changes able to make it without catch cans?
Theory?
If you have valves that don't get a fuel spray it will lead to a carbon build up on the valve stem.

Don't let this happen to you!!!!!
3q3LJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: DavidJones
Theory?

How many of those miles would have been more efficient if driven without gunked-up intakes and piston tops. How many hundreds of thousands of miles have people driven without synthetic oil, without free-flowing exhaust, or with dirty air filters.

I'd be more concerned about this on high-performance, particularly turbocharged vehicles, than on typical vehicles, but the concept is the same.

I like scare pics. However there are a few questions that they don’t answer:

What’s the percentage of engines that experience this type of failure?

Is this carbon buildup so fast that it would create widespread engine failures before it could be noticed and addressed during regular scheduled maintenance (such as valve clearance adjustment)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back