oil and filter choice and OCI for college student

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, let's say he's home quarterly? Check up on it when he's home - if it's at or over 3K, change it. If not, top off and change it at his next visit. I'd use Maxlife 5w20 or '30, depending on how much oil the 'Stang uses - it's cost effective but still good stuff, formulated with good detergents that will help fight the dirtier driving style the car will be doing.

Originally Posted By: ejes
I have similar situation with my son in a 96 Buick v-6. LOTS of short-tripping. I do a 3k or once per year OCI (whatever comes first) with Valvoline Maxlife HM and a Fram TG. 130k miles and counting...

SAME.

You can't kill a 4.6 Mustang engine down south from short trips.

Besides.......... you KNOW he's going to take it on road trips!!

Just use cheap SL-SM-SN 5W-30 or 10W-30 and change it once a year.

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
The 4.6L modular motor (after 1996) is not known to be an oil-burner, nor is it known for fuel-dilution.

Lots of folks I know with late 90's 4.6 Mustangs... they get beat on hard.

But they still keep on running fine. Generally use no oil.

Motorcraft Synthetic Blend Motor Oil in whatever weight Ford recommends and a Motorcraft (basic) or Fram Ultra (better) filter. Available at your local Walmart.

once a year on any SN oil is fine. If there's a Kmart nearby, they have a 5qt jug on sale for $7-8. They usually run the sale a few times per year.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Short trips with few trips long enough to warm up, don't go well with a long oci. I'd use a conventional and change more often.

the thing is , he dont come home often, he stay 3 hours away.

that is funny. but when 3 hours away "he stay half miles from his college, he crank up and drive"

I recommend mobil 1 0w20, 5k oci for this situation. Too bad he is not quarter miles from school.

merry christmas every one

Bought some oil today, will change it out tomorrow.

valvoline max life 5w30 was on sale, so i pick that and pick up my recent favor and ONLY fram I would use is ultra ( XG3 ). car is zero leak, zero smoke, This was my personal mustang and i babe it. the car he had before was kinda beat up. and I dont think its safe for him up there. I want something that would last him though out his college years, So I gift him my mustang, this was his first v8 and also first mustang, its automatic, easy to drive, new tires. just crank and drive perfect, every tune up already been done. I told him buy me a new mustang when he done law school
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif
that also give me a garage space , that when I bought the 03 Mustang Cobra Terminator
laugh.gif

I let him in my terminator today, he like it alot lol.

1zwc0gp.jpg

2hs4vop.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
merry christmas every one

Bought some oil today, will change it out tomorrow.

valvoline max life 5w30 was on sale, so i pick that and pick up my recent favor and ONLY fram I would use is ultra ( XG3 ). car is zero leak, zero smoke, This was my personal mustang and i babe it. the car he had before was kinda beat up. and I dont think its safe for him up there. I want something that would last him though out his college years, So I gift him my mustang, this was his first v8 and also first mustang, its automatic, easy to drive, new tires. just crank and drive perfect, every tune up already been done. I told him buy me a new mustang when he done law school
cheers3.gif
thumbsup2.gif
that also give me a garage space , that when I bought the 03 Mustang Cobra Terminator
laugh.gif

I let him in my terminator today, he like it alot lol.

1zwc0gp.jpg

2hs4vop.jpg

Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back