Oil advice for a 1914 Model T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
What would be the point of responding to a dead two year old thread?

I would also think the use of synthetic oils with pao or Ester would be ill advised in a stock 1928 Model T engine.

LOL ...† and you just did... I guess that's the point

Originally Posted by kstanf150

I would also think the use of synthetic oils with pao or Ester would be ill advised in a stock 1928 Model T engine.

And your point is troll?

And your point is troll?

Two years dead thread....comment 🤔

And your point is troll?

Two years dead thread....comment 🤔

Obviously you didn't bother to see to who I was responding to, unless you and benjy are one and the same.

Bugger off.

I have a 1929 Ford model A. I know it's a newer engine. I always used Castrol 20w-50 in it until the last oil change I put in rotella 15w-40. No reason for the change other than it's what I had on hand. Runs and starts the same with either oil. I change oil every 500 miles as this engine doesn't have an oil filter or air filter like your T.

I didn't read through all the posts so I will keep this short:
Look up a local Model T collector club/enthusiast group and see what they recommend. Surely they will have a wealth of experience and knowledge with these vintage machines. Good luck.

The original recommendation by Ford was "light" oil, which is apparently the equivalent of SAE 20 today.

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 5W-20 is virtually a monograde SAE 20 with almost no viscosity-index improver (VII) and it would be a good choice for this engine in the Michigan winter as well as summer.

[Linked Image]

Here is detailed info on the Ford Model T oil:

https://modeltfordfix.com/care-and-feeding-what-kind-of-oil-should-i-use-in-my-model-t-ford/

Nevertheless, any oil would work in this engine. Ford's recommendation of "light" oil back then probably had to do with multigrade oils not being existent. Today, chances are that even a 15W-40 HDEO is a good choice.

Don't worry about ZDDP, detergent, synthetic, etc. State-of-the-art oils will protect this engine better than any oil of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back