NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the rate of all of the proposed big brother devices being forced upon drivers, nobody is going to want buy any new vehicles. Hold on to your old vehicles!

It seems laws are for honest people. There's a ton of very dangerous drivers around here. Personally I would like to double the traffic control, starting with the CHP. Make the fines stiff.

It seems laws are for honest people. There's a ton of very dangerous drivers around here. Personally I would like to double the traffic control, starting with the CHP. Make the fines stiff.
Human are inherently impatient and entitled. We all think we are on the "right" side until we are not, then we want to change the line defining where right or wrong is.

This is one thing I want in the future for self driving cars, every one of them follow a common rule and traffic would be simplier, cars can be safer and closer to each other, speed limit raised to fast enough for every car instead of the worst of all drivers so people are speeding, and then no more redlight as they negotiate how to self drive among themselves. Imagine these cars are safe enough to go 90mph automated as response time for computer is 1ms when a human is 20-100ms the fastest to 1-2S the slowest.

We can then sleep while we commute if we still have to, or drive us long distance while we sleep and wake up in the morning at destination.

Reactions: Pew
The NTSB just issues recommendations. They have no legislative power whatsoever. So they can recommend things all day every day but a whole bunch of things have to go right for them to actually manage to get something implemented. The article seems to me to be just a way to get people riled up.
True. But they "recommend" things to the NHTSA, which is an administrative entity, and they can issue "rulings" which have the effect of law. Not unlike the OCC, EPA, HUD, etc. Administrative rulings come from the authority granted to the agency by Congress.

For example, in another thread, there is talk about the new upcoming law abouts passenger vehicles self-detecting impaired drivers and having in-car intervention. Congress passed the BILL in 2021, it was signed and became Law. In that Law, it granted the NHSTA the authority to implement the law.

It goes like this ....
Congress passes a law; many times this law just says "Mr. Agency man, you must accomplish this task." (this speaks to WHAT must be achieved).
The agency then has hearings and subsequently issues rulings, which have the effect of law. (Rulings establish HOW the task will be achieved.)

So, while you are correct in that the NTSB can't make laws, it can make recommendations to the NHSTA, which will create rulings subordinate to the authority given to it by Congress to achieve a task.

Hence, this topic of speed limits being enforced "in vehicle" using existing technology is most certainly germane to the conversation, and quite possible to come to fruition without major dissent from the public.

NHTSA proposed a speed governor on new cars in the early ‘70s. The proposal generated a huge number of comments, the vast majority being against it. I don’t think any other NHTSA proposed regulation has generated a larger response.
Perhaps airbags….

If you can count on anything at BITOG it’s broken or forgotten links and low quality screenshots of PDFs. 😂

True. But they "recommend" things to the NHTSA, which is an administrative entity, and they can issue "rulings" which have the effect of law. Not unlike the OCC, EPA, HUD, etc. Administrative rulings come from the authority granted to the agency by Congress.

For example, in another thread, there is talk about the new upcoming law abouts passenger vehicles self-detecting impaired drivers and having in-car intervention. Congress passed the BILL in 2021, it was signed and became Law. In that Law, it granted the NHSTA the authority to implement the law.

It goes like this ....
Congress passes a law; many times this law just says "Mr. Agency man, you must accomplish this task." (this speaks to WHAT must be achieved).
The agency then has hearings and subsequently issues rulings, which have the effect of law. (Rulings establish HOW the task will be achieved.)

So, while you are correct in that the NTSB can't make laws, it can make recommendations to the NHSTA, which will create rulings subordinate to the authority given to it by Congress to achieve a task.

Hence, this topic of speed limits being enforced "in vehicle" using existing technology is most certainly germane to the conversation, and quite possible to come to fruition without major dissent from the public.
Not to get too far down in the constitutional weeds, but SCOTUS has agreed to hear Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo and as a result may overturn Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council. If that does happen it will mean that federal agencies and their regulations will be subject to much close judicial scrutiny.

Not to get too far down in the constitutional weeds, but SCOTUS has agreed to hear Loper Bright Enterprises v. Raimondo and as a result may overturn Chevron v. Natural Resources Defense Council. If that does happen it will mean that federal agencies and their regulations will be subject to much close judicial scrutiny.
I would pay attention what is happening in EU bcs. too much regulation, and it seems things are unraveling fairly fast.
I was in Amsterdam two weeks ago where I had conversations with some governmental officials and there is acknowledgement regulations must slow down and in some cases reverse.

Reactions: 4WD
When I was a judge in traffic court I was the toughest on the defendants who were speeding in active school zones or construction zones, as well as congested residential streets. That said, I didn't think a guy going 100 mph on a deserted interstate at 3:00 AM was a big deal. My chief traffic prosecutor-who shared my philosophy-had a Mustang GT and an extremely heavy right foot; she also wound up being elected judge. She replaced a guy who thought that you risked certain death if you drove 1 mph over 55. She and I both believed that anyone caught camping out in the left lane should be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. At a minimum.

When I used to street race, there was an unsung rule of no speeding in school, construction, and residential streets and the rest of the car group followed that as well.

We need to stay factual as much as we may want to deny the national traffic and safety board recommendation for electronically limiting the speed of cars.
It’s very hard to make a case against it.
We live in a time where people even think it’s plausible to ban gas cooking stoves in your home or states banning the sale of gasoline vehicles.
I mean come on now electronically limiting the speed of cars makes more sense than any of those two.

Everybody knows there are speed limits to prevent accidents and deaths.
Roads are designed with a safety margin for any particular speed. It is that that determines the limit.

One person per hour in the United States, dies from an excessive speeding accident.
It’s actually a little bit more approximately 30 people per day.
Here we waste resources on, trying to slow people down when it could be all done with one software update.

Just for the record, I am not taking a position on this but I am saying if you truly want the law enforced, it’s a simple as a software upgrade, and there isn’t any plausible reason to object it if you believe in law.
😛
According to this it very well could cut highway deaths by over 10,000 people a year in the USA.

Last edited:
I’m sure NTSB came to this conclusion after decades of exhausting research and has tons of data to prove that this mandate will reduce fatalities or serious injuries in a very significant way.
It’s not like they would make such an overreaching claim on a whim, right? Government agencies simply do not do such things 😉

@Torrid @OVERKILL
Yeah, I know it's the media but makes an interesting read. I wont comment though, other then to say if we think we know about these projects and who controls them we are truly fooling ourselves. Since we spoke about this. I truly wasnt looking for it, its the "news" today

@Torrid @OVERKILL
Yeah, I know it's the media but makes an interesting read. I wont comment though, other then to say if we think we know about these projects and who controls them we are truly fooling ourselves. Since we spoke about this. I truly wasnt looking for it, its the "news" today

This was over 10 years ago. It's been happening since txting was a thing.

Good idea, and the system should be designed so everyone comes to a full stop at a stop sign.
I don't like people riding my bumper when I do the speed limit and give me a sign for doing so.
I say at the time to my self its not my fault, just get the dang speed limit raised. I can't afford the ticket or the higher insurance because of it. Same goes for almost getting rear ended at a stop sign or light for the free right hand turn. Years ago (in the 2000's) when he was still here my dad got his first ever ticket in this state since moving here in 1955, for not full stopping to make a right hand turn, he was in his upper 70's at the time. A speed limiting system would need some kind of emergency over ride, since its legal to do 100 plus mph when passing on a 2 lane road the get around the other car, and not have a head on.

When are we getting rid of the 55 MPH limit imposed due to the oil embargo back in 1973? Much more unsafe vehicles back then doing 80 MPH and in some areas no speed limits.

Now we have safer occupant compartments, more than double the average MPG, and still have the 55 MPH limit.

Thanks texters and reckless drivers...:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back