NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought this is significant enough news to start a new thread.
The technology is here, Heck I bet every EV on the market can be speed limited. I will go further and bet Tesla can to it with an other the air update.
Only makes sense. The new EVs are massively powerful, compact cars with 300+ horsepower, crazy acceleration times.

It may take decades or maybe a decade but I think it will happen simply because no one can come up with a reason why it shouldn't.
Wow, just think of all the lives saved. Im not a person who likes all this stuff limiting our so called freedoms but I have thrown in the towel on that *LOL* So bring it on. Yes, its ok to flame me, its not like I am a proponent but I read these crazy stories and even threads in here about the crazy speed and acceleration times and well, Im not so sure one can make an argument against it. I mean, the speed limit is the limit, right?

With that said, this is not EV specific so I posted it here. It's about all vehicles.

___

imho to err, is human. Even with speed cams, at least in Phila and MD, there is a threshold where at 11 mph, no ticket, 12 mph, ticket. That's generous in a 35, or even 45 or 55. 5 might be cutting it close due to human and speedo error. I can't see the logic that would say, let the car decide and it cannot exceed the speed limit. If I'm running late, I may need to go a little faster. Maybe 6-7 over the limit. Maybe 10.

I thought this is significant enough news to start a new thread.
The technology is here, Heck I bet every EV on the market can be speed limited. I will go further and bet Tesla can to it with an other the air update.
Only makes sense. The new EVs are massively powerful, compact cars with 300+ horsepower, crazy acceleration times.

It may take decades or maybe a decade but I think it will happen simply because no one can come up with a reason why it shouldn't.
Wow, just think of all the lives saved. Im not a person who likes all this stuff limiting our so called freedoms but I have thrown in the towel on that *LOL* So bring it on. Yes, its ok to flame me, its not like I am a proponent but I read these crazy stories and even threads in here about the crazy speed and acceleration times and well, Im not so sure one can make an argument against it. I mean, the speed limit is the limit, right?

With that said, this is not EV specific so I posted it here. It's about all vehicles.

___
Yesterday I was in Denver, and caught a radio show by Michael D. Brown (Former Under Secretary of Emergency Preparedness and Response).

An attorney by trade. Mr. Brown's assessment of EVs is simple, computers hooked up to a bunch of batteries, so the vehicle can be tracked, controlled, limited to where and when to recharge, and control when it can be on the road.

Last edited:
imho to err, is human. Even with speed cams, at least in Phila and MD, there is a threshold where at 11 mph, no ticket, 12 mph, ticket. That's generous in a 35, or even 45 or 55. 5 might be cutting it close due to human and speedo error. I can't see the logic that would say, let the car decide and it cannot exceed the speed limit. If I'm running late, I may need to go a little faster. Maybe 6-7 over the limit. Maybe 10.
I think we can assume there will be a "fluff" area.
BTW- I am not in any way promoting or taking a position. But, we know it will happen at some point, the electronics are there. Will be no reason for law enforcement (mostly) wasting time trying to slow people down. I just cant think of a reason that one can defend being allowed to break the law and go over the speed limit. After all its the "limit" so what argument can be made?

All any agency moving forward has to reply forever now, if asked what they are doing to reduce deaths is, we are trying but we cant get this law passed. How can one advocate cutting down on highway death buy blocking the very simple device that will allow it?

Never happen would cut off major revenue stream - speed enforcement is not about safety - it is about money.
This is why I don't think they would ever implement a system that would prevent the car from speeding, but instead automatically bill you for speeding. Going 5 mph over the limit? Your new car will now automatically deduct the fine from your bank account. Was a fine deducted even though you never exceeded the speed limit? Not to worry, the same people who are there to help at the DMV will help to make sure you get a refund. :LOL:

Limiting the people's mobility has always been the desire of tyrants and Oligarchs.
This is the exact reason why bicycles are (or were for many years) by license-only in North Korea.
Too much mobility threatens the political class and their control.

With an ICE vehicles paying cash, I can theoretically make my way across the country untracked.
With EVs thats impossible.

Never happen would cut off major revenue stream - speed enforcement is not about safety - it is about money.
I dont know, I dont think Washington cares too much about individual states I am sure they can spend incentive money to make roads safer to those states in other ways.. Also police departments are stretched to the max and understaffed. Furthermore MANY police officers lives will be saved and they can work on more serious work.

Limiting the people's mobility has always been the desire of tyrants and Oligarchs.
This is the exact reason why bicycles are (or were for many years) by license-only in North Korea.

With an ICE vehicles paying cash, I can theoretically make my way across the country untracked.
Yes, you got this right as of right now, but it will be awfully cheap to implement in new ICE vehicles.

I think we can assume there will be a "fluff" area.
BTW- I am not in any way promoting or taking a position. But, we know it will happen at some point, the electronics are there. Will be no reason for law enforcement (mostly) wasting time trying to slow people down. I just cant think of a reason that one can defend being allowed to break the law and go over the speed limit. After all its the "limit" so what argument can be made?

All any agency moving forward has to reply forever now, if asked what they are doing to reduce deaths is, we are trying but we cant get this law passed. How can one advocate cutting down on highway death buy blocking the very simple device that will allow it?
Lobbyist for independent truck drivers- Owner Operators Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA), continually lobby against governors on trucks that limit speeds. OOIDA assessment is that there are times when going above the speed limit is part of safe and responsible driving.

I had an issue in Wyoming where exceeding the speed limit reduced the likelihood of a risk of a major accident. I was ticketed for speeding in Wyoming and went to court three times to challenge the ticket. I was found not guilty, but not for the reasons I stated in my defense. BTW- the county attorney was very bitter I was found not guilty. I tried to work with her to get the charges dismissed, and she refused time and time again. When I was found not guilty, she gave me a look of contempt and stormed out of the court room. Of course, although successful, I was wrong for representing myself. Only a fool does that in court.

If you can be tracked and your information sold, then you'll make a good commodity for some large corporation. I think the one big benefit that gas station chains will see with EVs beyond just getting people in the door to buy snacks and drinks is user data. No different then how we use our phones and computers, especially complaining about it on the internet. 😁

This is why I don't think they would ever implement a system that would prevent the car from speeding, but instead automatically bill you for speeding. Going 5 mph over the limit? Your new car will now automatically deduct the fine from your bank account. Was a fine deducted even though you never exceeded the speed limit? Not to worry, the same people who are there to help at the DMV will help to make sure you get a refund. :LOL:
It has been said: if there is a law for which the punishment is a fine, that's a law only poor people have to follow.

I wonder it there's an emergency override button? When I was a kid I was bitten by a venomous snake and my dad rushed me to the hospital in his 1967 Impala. I don't know exactly what his top speed was, but I do know what a 327 at redline thru a Powerglide transmission sounds like :)

Maybe they should ban alcohol......
Alcohol the cause of and solution to all of life’s problems.

Limiting cars speeds was in the founding charter of the group who has been pushing autonomous driving technology developments 40+ years.

The goal of autonomous driving back in prehistoric times was actually to save fuel and to increase vehicle drivetrain efficiency and safety came along later .

Autonomous driving isn’t possible unless everybody is putting along the same speed.

If it ever takes off every car will be 35hp and only have enough power to drive whatever speed is dictated as being efficient enough.

My state meanwhile has wanted the opposite to happen, legislators have discovered that increasing speed limits dramatically increases the amount of gas taxes collected (and in our state also coincided with a large increase in highway deaths)
Legislators wanted all roads in the state to have limits increased, school zones, city, rural and freeway. Police and safety groups put the kabosh to it.

The incredible acceleration and dufous drivers is what should be limited. How about a race course test?

Has anyone actually gone 60 mph and slammed on the brakes to see what happens? And the trend for auto driving will wither peoples driving skills to barely adequate.

And you think cameras can't read your license plate number to track you?

More people speed than smoke dope, and they're loosening regs on that.

Once you get about 30% of the population doing something, it's hard to tell them not to, politically.

IF this were to happen, it would probably be through insurance companies giving a discount for cars that did this. If the insurance market got crowded enough, eg you had to pay a super premium price for unlimited speed insurance, then you'd be "forced" to take it. Insuring some Teslas is already... interesting, with Tesla themselves subsidizing policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back