NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AG, fully tracking the context of your reply. But it triggered the question, is there a person, right now, that can immediately immobilize any Tesla in the USA right now, from his office in San Francisco or wherever, with or without "orders" to do so?
See post above as far as GM ^^^

See post above as far as GM ^^^
Thanks.for providing the information. I can't say on new GM vehicles, but older GM, Acura, and Mercedes vehicles one could easily disable/remove the communication module controlling OnStar and like system. I suspect on.a.Tesla the vehicle owner does not have the ability to disable that module, that is not a independent feature, but a fully integrated into Tesla.

iMO Tesla's long term goals to charge monthly fees, and allowing one to bypass Tesla's systems would hamstring Tesla's long term goals of charging future mandatory monthly fees to operate the vehicles they manufacture.

It is not easy to remove an OnStar unit.There is much more to it than just removing the module itself. Of course it can be used to track your vehicle when it's stolen as well.

The recent story I read said that it is considering using all available technologies, including cameras, radar, and GPS data.
Yes, you are correct, good catch, it's in the OP. I havent seen the radar thing but I may have missed it/not doubting you. We all know it will work. IN my reply to the GPS thing I was making a point of it because some were referring to the camera reading the speed limit sign.
When I say it will work, I would assume it will be a combination of the three you mention as a failsafe.
I mean, we already have driverless cars that obey speed limits. I think we are talking pennies extra cost in the cost of a vehicle to implement this.

Funny how in that article it says that the people who crashed while speeding were also more likely to be under the influence of something. So maybe they should crack down on selling drugs/alcohol? And then there won't be as many speeding related accidents because less people will be going 120+ while high on something?
This is exactly right. Do any one of us have the right to drink a bottle of vodka and hit the road? Why is speeding any different? Alcohol has been defined .08 usually. Is it okay to go 10 over, 12 over, where is the line drawn?

Funny how in that article it says that the people who crashed while speeding were also more likely to be under the influence of something. So maybe they should crack down on selling drugs/alcohol? And then there won't be as many speeding related accidents because less people will be going 120+ while high on something?
If the vehicle is regulated to legal speeds then someone under the influence cannot exceed those speeds. Here in Utah we are a very "sober state" with drivers (generally) speeding way beyond legal speeds. Here we already highly regulate alcohol and have very positives results for doing so. So yes the state I live in could be a case study.

This is exactly right. Do any one of us have the right to drink a bottle of vodka and hit the road? Why is speeding any different? Alcohol has been defined .08 usually. Is it okay to go 10 over, 12 over, where is the line drawn?
The line is drawn at .08 many places-in Utah it's .05.

If the vehicle is regulated to legal speeds then someone under the influence cannot exceed those speeds. Here in Utah we are a very "sober state" with drivers (generally) speeding way beyond legal speeds. Here we already highly regulate alcohol and have very positives results for doing so. So yes the state I live in could be a case study.
True, but someone who is sober can safely go over the speed limit. And Utah drivers do speed but they also like to change lanes and cut people off, more than in Arizona.

https://wesh.com/article/marion-county-racing-crash/45985827

Oh well, there goes the street racing hobby!

This isn't a very good link, sorry about that. The picture of the Corvette was worth the post .
Yeah, we had a local guy, drunk, fortunately hit the garage of a house(instead of the bedrooms) at 100+mph and burned the house down... The driver was burned alive, but no one in the house was injured. The house was over 100 yards from where he left the road, but the vehicle was in the air for most of that...
This stuff doesn't happen too often locally thankfully, but if that vehicle had been going 60mph, the driver would likely still be alive and the house still there.

And if he hadn't been drunk he probably wouldn't have gone off the road. There's more than one problem causing all these car crashes, so there's not just one solution.
Yeah, we had a local guy, drunk, fortunately hit the garage of a house(instead of the bedrooms) at 100+mph and burned the house down... The driver was burned alive, but no one in the house was injured. The house was over 100 yards from where he left the road, but the vehicle was in the air for most of that...
This stuff doesn't happen too often locally thankfully, but if that vehicle had been going 60mph, the driver would likely still be alive and the house still there.

Going 5 over in a 40 isnt very imparing as a bottle of vodka.

And if he hadn't been drunk he probably wouldn't have gone off the road. There's more than one problem causing all these car crashes, so there's not just one solution.
I was assuming the fellow would've still went off the road even at 60mph, as its a fair curve, but not have hit the garage hard enough to start a fire... I agree there's no complete solutions to many problems where people normally do the right thing 99.99% of the time, but just like seat belts don't save everyone, they do save lots of people and are worth making it law to have to use them.
There are other options instead of speed limiters, harsher speeding penalties could work too, fines on a sliding scale based on the individuals wealth...
Sure speeding is fun! But is it worth $2k or 0.5% of your assets? Probably not as many people would speed anymore...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back