Nothing is cheaper than mine to mouth coal

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Except maybe massive hydro, obviously geographically limited, with HUGE CAPEX.

Some might recall the previous Seaver Wang piece I shared here:
Cogeneration in China - Solar production | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Talking about solar module production with onsite coal plants. Well, he's got another thread up:

Quoting the thread here:

Other people: "Wow Chinese manufacturers are killing it with cheap electric cars + solar! How do they manage it? Truly an inspiration to the world!"Me: "I recommend taking a gander at the environmentally blighted area near Baotou, Inner Mongolia sometime. Enlightening stuff."
1711494465579.jpg

If you've heard of Baotou, it's probably in the context of rare earth industry pollution.But few folks are aware at just how much large-scale upstream clean tech manufacturing has moved to the Baotou area in the last several years.
1711494496709.jpg

Now I don't want to generalize--Baotou is an intense case. Chinese OEMs do run cleaner industry in Sichuan + Yunnan thanks to hydropower. But you this kind of coal-centered clean tech industry also exists in Ordos (Inner Mongolia), or Xinjiang, or Heilongjiang, to name a few.

And as I wrote in our 2022 report on implications of labor + enviro injustice in Xinjiang's solar industry, Chinese clean tech success also comes from economies of scale, innovation, subsidies, and experience operating industry w razor-thin profit margins.

But I think its crucially important to realize that the formidable might of Chinese firms in key clean tech manufacturing steps like graphite battery anodes or solar-grade polysilicon isn't just because of innovation + hard effort, but also because the playing field is uneven.

I spoke on this Columbia panel Sunday morning on US-China relations + climate efforts (not recorded, sorry).When asked how US+China could partner on heavy industry decarbonization, I surprised folks by identifying Chinese industry as the biggest obstacle to industrial decarb.

I then argued the US would lead on heavy industry decarbonization, as innovation and differentiated clean production are key for US industry to compete globally moving forward.The Biden admin announced major clean industry initiatives the next day :cool:

But we have to recall the global playing field in sectors like aluminum or synthetic graphite remains vastly unfair. We (often rightly) demand the best sourcing + enviro practices from domestic industries while plants in China enjoy subsidized lower CAPEX on the order of >30%...

as well as industrial electricity tariffs that are half the cost of industrial power in nearby Korea or Japan or less thanks to heavy fossil coal use.With that in mind we *must* resist temptation to import the cheapest possible batteries, EVs, or solar PV in a frenzy to deploy.

And we have to revitalize more difficult, controversial industries like mining or metals in places like the US + Europe.If the true cost of responsible metals is higher than that reflected in the cost of a new EV from BYD sold in Germany, why do we accept the lower price tag?

And if--as I believe is the case--we can successfully find innovative ways to source low-carbon metals ethically and affordably, then we have to wean ourselves off the dirty stuff while using industrial policy to give clean ideas and technologies the chance they need to succeed.

Now, if solar and wind were truly the cheapest sources, as we are so often told, China would be using those sources to manufacture those sources instead of mine-to-mouth coal. If it was less expensive to slap up a field of PV and batteries or a clutch of wind turbines rather than building a coal plant beside the factory, they would. The lowest possible cost is always the priority.

So, why the lie or misrepresentation of the truth? I'll leave that up to you to mull over.

Last edited:
Moonscape
The image is current, a fairly contained area of maybe 10 square miles, tailings ponds, slag heaps etc. You don't see this, unless from the air.
There was far greater destruction through the 1890's to the 1970s, with hundreds of square miles of barren rock. Sulfur, and heavy metals emissions reductions and regreening has had a positive outcome on vegetaion.
Where I live now would have been barren rock in the 70's. Here are the now pictures all from my 5 acre lot, 5 miles from the once heavy sulfur emitters.
Side benefit is the best wild blue berries in the world with the acidic soils.

20220831_181547_resized.jpg

20230629_182451_resized.jpg

20230719_182622_resized.jpg

Last edited:
I've never seen an "Environmentalist" want to stick around and discuss where the products come from to make batteries, what is done with used-up windmill blades and other manufacturing wastes from "green energy".
Dont forget the basically slave mines in the congo. Or the # of miners that die in china yearly.

Or the slave labor china uses, the suicide nets at foxconn.

I could keep going

I mean this whole thread is somewhat nit-picky if you ask me. We need to be looking at lifecycle emissions, not picking at the fact that a solar panel (as an example) is produced in a facility that has it's electricity powered by coal. Yes, it would be better for lifecycle emissions if the factory was run off of electricity produced by nuclear or a renewable source. But is the overall lifecycle emissions made worse by coal production for something like a solar panel, so much so that it would have been better for the environment that it was never produced at all?

People like to pick at individual components of something rather than the whole lifecycle, becaue it is easy to do. It is more difficult to calculate and quantify the whole ball of wax.

I mean this whole thread is somewhat nit-picky if you ask me. We need to be looking at lifecycle emissions, not picking at the fact that a solar panel (as an example) is produced in a facility that has it's electricity powered by coal. Yes, it would be better for lifecycle emissions if the factory was run off of electricity produced by nuclear or a renewable source. But is the overall lifecycle emissions made worse by coal production for something like a solar panel, so much so that it would have been better for the environment that it was never produced at all?

People like to pick at individual components of something rather than the whole lifecycle, becaue it is easy to do. It is more difficult to calculate and quantify the whole ball of wax.
I wasn't getting into the lifecycle argument because ultimately, China doesn't care. This thread is just pointing out that from a purely power generation economics standpoint, nothing except maybe massive reservoir hydro, is cheaper than mine-to-mouth coal. If you read the previously linked thread, lifecycle emissions ARE mentioned there.

Except maybe massive hydro, obviously geographically limited, with HUGE CAPEX.

Some might recall the previous Seaver Wang piece I shared here:
Cogeneration in China - Solar production | Bob Is The Oil Guy

Talking about solar module production with onsite coal plants. Well, he's got another thread up:

Quoting the thread here:

Other people: "Wow Chinese manufacturers are killing it with cheap electric cars + solar! How do they manage it? Truly an inspiration to the world!"Me: "I recommend taking a gander at the environmentally blighted area near Baotou, Inner Mongolia sometime. Enlightening stuff."
View attachment 210506

If you've heard of Baotou, it's probably in the context of rare earth industry pollution.But few folks are aware at just how much large-scale upstream clean tech manufacturing has moved to the Baotou area in the last several years.
View attachment 210507

Now I don't want to generalize--Baotou is an intense case. Chinese OEMs do run cleaner industry in Sichuan + Yunnan thanks to hydropower. But you this kind of coal-centered clean tech industry also exists in Ordos (Inner Mongolia), or Xinjiang, or Heilongjiang, to name a few.

And as I wrote in our 2022 report on implications of labor + enviro injustice in Xinjiang's solar industry, Chinese clean tech success also comes from economies of scale, innovation, subsidies, and experience operating industry w razor-thin profit margins.

But I think its crucially important to realize that the formidable might of Chinese firms in key clean tech manufacturing steps like graphite battery anodes or solar-grade polysilicon isn't just because of innovation + hard effort, but also because the playing field is uneven.

I spoke on this Columbia panel Sunday morning on US-China relations + climate efforts (not recorded, sorry).When asked how US+China could partner on heavy industry decarbonization, I surprised folks by identifying Chinese industry as the biggest obstacle to industrial decarb.

I then argued the US would lead on heavy industry decarbonization, as innovation and differentiated clean production are key for US industry to compete globally moving forward.The Biden admin announced major clean industry initiatives the next day :cool:

But we have to recall the global playing field in sectors like aluminum or synthetic graphite remains vastly unfair. We (often rightly) demand the best sourcing + enviro practices from domestic industries while plants in China enjoy subsidized lower CAPEX on the order of >30%...

as well as industrial electricity tariffs that are half the cost of industrial power in nearby Korea or Japan or less thanks to heavy fossil coal use.With that in mind we *must* resist temptation to import the cheapest possible batteries, EVs, or solar PV in a frenzy to deploy.

And we have to revitalize more difficult, controversial industries like mining or metals in places like the US + Europe.If the true cost of responsible metals is higher than that reflected in the cost of a new EV from BYD sold in Germany, why do we accept the lower price tag?

And if--as I believe is the case--we can successfully find innovative ways to source low-carbon metals ethically and affordably, then we have to wean ourselves off the dirty stuff while using industrial policy to give clean ideas and technologies the chance they need to succeed.

Now, if solar and wind were truly the cheapest sources, as we are so often told, China would be using those sources to manufacture those sources instead of mine-to-mouth coal. If it was less expensive to slap up a field of PV and batteries or a clutch of wind turbines rather than building a coal plant beside the factory, they would. The lowest possible cost is always the priority.

So, why the lie or misrepresentation of the truth? I'll leave that up to you to mull over.

Who's claiming solar and wind were the cheapest sources? I've seen claims of cost parity in some markets but that's not the same thing.

Another look at the blight from nickel and copper mining.
A lot closer to home. About 4 hours north of Toronto.
Tremendous wealth generation, tremendous damage.

View attachment 210515

Historically mining has always been a dirty business.

Whether it be coal (WV, Germany), gold, uranium etc.

Here's a new uranium Superfund site in AZ.

"The Lukachukai District, among more than 500 abandoned uranium mine sites on the Navajo Nation, is located in the Cove"

Those who live in glass houses.....

Historically mining has always been a dirty business.

Whether it be coal (WV, Germany), gold, uranium etc.

Here's a new uranium Superfund site in AZ.

"The Lukachukai District, among more than 500 abandoned uranium mine sites on the Navajo Nation, is located in the Cove"

Those who live in glass houses.....
Yep, we've got a similar situation down in Port Hope. Mining prior to current regulations was the wild west, little to no site remediation. We have an old abandoned iron mine in Marmora that they are looking at turning into a pumped storage facility. It naturally fills with water and there's not really anything else you can do with the property, so it makes sense.

They all seem to lean heavily on a 2020 report of which there are caveats to the claim combined with a lack of detail
There are a few different reports referenced there. The IRENA one is different from the BNEF one for example. I'm sure Google will give you more if you do some searching. Point being, this is being claimed in many major publications and it's all over the place being pitched/promoted by renewaphiles.

And, it's predicated on a nugget of truth. Speaking specifically on just power, 1MW of solar PV is likely cheaper than 1MW of anything else, but 1MW of solar isn't equal in energy to 1MW of coal for example. Externalities and thus total SYSTEM costs also aren't accounted for, which makes these claims disingenuous grift.

Back