TSMC needs to hire 4,500 Americans but it's "brutal" corporate culture is getting in the way

Interesting article about the culture clash that is happening when an East Asian company tries to establish high tech manufacturing in the US.

People complain about low wages in Asia causing American manufacturing deline, but there are many other factors. If it was only about wages every poor country would be able to replicate China/Taiwan success.

One of them is that people there simply work way harder than we do. I was talking to my Chinese coworkers and they said a lot of their family work 996 (12 hours 6 days a week). This article talks about some of the differences.

No one works harder than Americans.

COW-Productivity-847.jpg

And that is your issue with an American Workforce - there are inherently differences in workplace culture, expectations and compensation. Unfortunately, these are also areas that can make us less competitive than competing labor pools.

So, if the other competing labor pools continue to be more competitive, we might need to succumb to that type of workplace culture if we wish to remain relevant in this particular industry.

I worked harder than most of my commrades in Silicon Valley and was rewarded handsomely for it. I can tell you, waaaaay to many people are slackers. They do not appreciate their jobs. It's BS; nobody owes me a nickel and I am pretty sure no one paid me because they thought I was cute. There is this crappy sense of entitlement.
In general, the Asians put us to shame. The Koreans kick butt; they are all on the same page and go home when the work is done. The Vietnamese appreciate the opportunity go get ahead. Japan standards are off the chart. It goes on.

The recent thread about farm life makes me proud. Why can't more people put the work down like that?

Here's the thing. TSMC, the world's leading semiconductor manufacturer, is facing a bit of a challenge. They're trying to hire 4,500 brilliant minds for their new plants in Arizona. But they're hitting a wall. Their work culture is tough, their educational requirements are high, and their pay isn't quite matching up to the competition. But you know what? They're not backing down. They're raising salaries, they're working on that work-life balance, and they're cutting down on the need for overseas training. This isn't just about TSMC. This is about America. This is about bringing the semiconductor industry back home.

Now, let's flip the coin. Yes, TSMC is facing challenges. But let's not forget, this is what happens when you dare to think different. When you dare to step into new territories. They're investing $40 billion into these plants. That's not small change. That's a statement. They're here to stay. They're here to succeed. And let's not forget, they're the big fish in the global semiconductor market. They've got the technology that can make any tech enthusiast's heart race. So, they might just attract the talent they need. And these challenges? They might just be the catalyst TSMC needs to become an even better employer. So, let's watch this space. Because I think we're about to witness something truly revolutionary.

One of them is that people there simply work way harder than we do. I was talking to my Chinese coworkers and they said a lot of their family work 996 (12 hours 6 days a week).
As a boy in the 1970s, almost all the Dads I knew worked six days a week. Many worked a second and even a third job. Even Garth Brook's Dad worked multiple full and part time jobs at the same time to feed the family and keep a roof over the family's head.

I worked full time my last two years in high school, walked 1.5 miles from High School to work, and then walked home. Later I was able to buy a $150 car, and delivered pizzas and other jobs in addition to my full time job in high school.

Wonder if there is any correlation of as the Federal deficit/debt, and liabilities have risen, the working week in the US shrunk?

Interesting article about the culture clash that is happening when an East Asian company tries to establish high tech manufacturing in the US.

People complain about low wages in Asia causing American manufacturing deline, but there are many other factors. If it was only about wages every poor country would be able to replicate China/Taiwan success.

One of them is that people there simply work way harder than we do. I was talking to my Chinese coworkers and they said a lot of their family work 996 (12 hours 6 days a week). This article talks about some of the differences.

The wages are actually coming up fairly quickly. China is seeing huge jumps in wages. Free markets do that. A number of jobs went from .60 cents an hour to $6 an hour in a few years. The cost of living in many areas is vastly lower than the usa. Analysts are saying that the poverty line in Colorado is $25 an hour and I know very well alot of places aren't paying that.

This is about bringing the semiconductor industry back home.

Now, let's flip the coin. Yes, TSMC is facing challenges. But let's not forget, this is what happens when you dare to think different. When you dare to step into new territories. They're investing $40 billion into these plants. That's not small change. That's a statement. They're here to stay. They're here to succeed. And let's not forget, they're the big fish in the global semiconductor market. They've got the technology that can make any tech enthusiast's heart race. So, they might just attract the talent they need. And these challenges? They might just be the catalyst TSMC needs to become an even better employer. So, let's watch this space. Because I think we're about to witness something truly revolutionary.
You might want to research the political history of China vs. Taiwan before making those assumptions. This move by TSMC is largely an act of "risk management" from a geopolitical point-of-view.

On paper, this initiative doesn't make a lot of financial sense.

Under the scrutiny and intimidation of their threatening circumstances…yes they will work as much as they can.

As a boy in the 1970s, almost all the Dads I knew worked six days a week. Many worked a second and even a third job. Even Garth Brook's Dad worked multiple full and part time jobs at the same time to feed the family and keep a roof over the family's head.

I worked full time my last two years in high school, walked 1.5 miles from High School to work, and then walked home. Later I was able to buy a $150 car, and delivered pizzas and other jobs in addition to my full time job in high school.

Wonder if there is any correlation of as the Federal deficit/debt, and liabilities have risen, the working week in the US shrunk?
I don't see the number of hours as critical; rather it is how you perform during those hours. One of the best programmers I ever knew was straight 8 to 5 guy, then off to coach baseball, what ever. But the minute his butt hit the chair he was coding. When 5:00PM hit he was gone. Outproduced a small army of other programmers.

Answer: No there isn't. What did happen is that in early 1970;s Nixon closed the gold window and with it went the last remaining extremely thin link of the USD to gold due to the commitments starting with LBJ "Guns-n-Butter" policy. In addition there was the hyper financialization of debt instruments like credit cards, etc and the expansion of the workforce as more women entered areas of the workforce which were predom occupied by men.

No one works harder than Americans.
Isn't that actually indicating that US-produced goods just cost more ? In one hour, the average item produced costs ~$83 while in the same hour, an item made in China costs ~$14.

Last edited:
As a boy in the 1970s, almost all the Dads I knew worked six days a week. Many worked a second and even a third job...

Same here. We had less stuff as well. LOTS less, but yet lived great lives IMO.

Work/life balance is a thing, but how are you going to afford a home, car, vacation or just get ahead in life in general w/out working your butt off?

Believe me, I am not bragging, but I've worked over 400hrs of OT since the the first of the year and aside from keeping CC balances about zero and having more money dumped into my retirement, I'm no further ahead being the sole provider for a family of 6. Two, soon to be 3 kids are college age.

You might want to research the political history of China vs. Taiwan before making those assumptions. This move by TSMC is largely an act of "risk management" from a geopolitical point-of-view.

On paper, this initiative doesn't make a lot of financial sense.

While I understand your perspective, I believe it's essential to consider the broader picture. Yes, the political history of China and Taiwan plays a role, and risk management is undoubtedly a factor in TSMC's decision. However, it's also about innovation, growth, and the future of the semiconductor industry.

TSMC's move is not just about immediate financial gains. It's about long-term strategic positioning. By establishing a presence in the US, TSMC is not only diversifying its geographical risk but also tapping into a new talent pool and potentially influencing the global semiconductor supply chain.

Moreover, the semiconductor industry is not static. It's rapidly evolving, and companies that don't adapt and take calculated risks can quickly fall behind. TSMC's move might not make a lot of financial sense on paper right now, but it could pay off significantly in the future as the industry continues to evolve.

Finally, let's not forget that TSMC's investment is also a significant boost for the local economy and the US semiconductor industry. It's creating jobs, fostering innovation, and potentially leading to more investments in the sector. So, while there are challenges, there are also opportunities, and I believe TSMC is well-positioned to navigate these complexities and emerge stronger.

The Americans I work with DO NOT work hard. Most are lazy and slow. Many do work a lot of overtime though.....because they money is good, but it has nothing to do with working hard. Half the time the smartphones are being played with or they are talking incessantly trying to run the clock out.

I was talking to my Chinese coworkers and they said a lot of their family work 996 (12 hours 6 days a week).
There's a Chinese-owned automobile glass company nearby that has many Chinese workers that they bring here for 1-2 years. They routinely work 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week. The climate between many of them and the American workers is okay and the Chinese even joke that "Americans are lazy" when they clock out after 8-10 hours and tell the Chinese worker "No, I have a life" and they get a nod or thumbs up. The Chinese workers almost can't work less or go home 'early'.

The pay there is good but they say you earn it. Some of the pay scale comes from it being a former GM auto plant and they actually hired many of those workers that lost jobs. They're also trying to keep the union out so they pay good while the benefits are actually excellent.

Back