No more Ethanol free gas in Canada?

So not long ago both Shell and Chevron both had non-ethanol options, about a year ago Shell dropped out leaving only Chevron.

Last night I go to the Chevron station to fill my jerry cans for my small engines and see these stickers on the pumps now...

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Looks like that's it for non-ethanol gas at the pumps here in Canada. At least in Alberta AFAIK.

I have an Esso commercial card lock and can purchase dyed premium ethanol free for off road use.
It's especially good for 2-stroke pre-mix.
Edit; Find a place that sells "boat gas".
They will fill boats, dirt bikes, sleds and containers, but not your vehicle without an Indian Status card.

Last edited:
When they say "up to 10%" that could be 0% to 9.9%, so how much % ethanol is going to damage the rubber fuel lines for my lawnmower? my snowblower?

They can go up to 12 percent and still call it 10 percent. Alot of winter gas is 12 percent ethanol, 3 percent benzene and 85 percent gasoline and call it 10 percent ethanol blend.
define "alot" and your source?

Gas varies a huge amount by region.

We havent had ethanol free gas here in ages... besides marinas and a very few rec gas selling stations (example 1 station 30 miles away for me)

but in last year some sheetz are bringing it in.
they must have a bunch of tanks.
diesel, e85, super 88, 87,89,91,93 and 90 ethanol free. all at same station.. every other pump had ethanol free or the yellow and blue, and the 2 end pumps were diesel.

Here in Ontario, Canadian Tire is the only one labelled as no ethanol in the 91. I only buy this gas for my outdoor power equipment and my Olds before it's stored for winter.
Thanks for the tip, our CT here doesn’t have a gas bar thou unfortunately.

I have an Esso commercial card lock and can purchase dyed premium ethanol free for off road use.
It's especially good for 2-stroke pre-mix.
Edit; Find a place that sells "boat gas".
They will fill boats, dirt bikes, sleds and containers, but not your vehicle without an Indian Status card.
I think we do have a Esso card lock here so I’ll check into that. Thanks!

Shell 91 has no ethanol in my area.
Is there anywhere I could find information on shell in our area? They were the last ones before Canadian Tire to still have no ethanol and then the signage changed on their pumps and online information from shell claimed up to 10% on everything. So I figured it might be possible they were still no ethanol in the 91 but I couldn't confirm it.

They can go up to 12 percent and still call it 10 percent. Alot of winter gas is 12 percent ethanol, 3 percent benzene and 85 percent gasoline and call it 10 percent ethanol blend.

Not according to the regulations I saw. The limit is 10 percent. Anything above 10 percent to 15 percent has to be sold as E15.

Benzene is refined out to a very low level because it is considerably more toxic than most other compounds in gasoline. It certainly isn't added intentionally.

Canada wants to be "green" but they really should've read the Univ of Minnesota study (University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering) that showed ethanol containing gasoline pollutes more than zero ethanol gasoline. Sorry you guys up North can't get it anymore! Come to Michigan, we have a lot of stations that have E0.. Thanks to the boating industry in the state, they demanded it..

Canada wants to be "green" but they really should've read the Univ of Minnesota study (University of Minnesota College of Science and Engineering) that showed ethanol containing gasoline pollutes more than zero ethanol gasoline.

So it makes perfect sense, then, that the EPA mandates that ONLY E10 gasoline is to be sold in non-attainment areas.

Well, not really.

So not long ago both Shell and Chevron both had non-ethanol options, about a year ago Shell dropped out leaving only Chevron.

Last night I go to the Chevron station to fill my jerry cans for my small engines and see these stickers on the pumps now...

View attachment 153289
View attachment 153290

Looks like that's it for non-ethanol gas at the pumps here in Canada. At least in Alberta AFAIK.
Costco in Ontario has no ethanol 91.
At least for now🤪

Back