No longer available features in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I can't seen anybody missing the jump seats in a Ranger, or late '70s extended cab full-size.

In a small truck it's a better use of space than a bench seat if you're not carrying people in the rear. You get easy to reach hidden storage and more cargo space than a bench seat truck. Later on Ford made the jump seats optional and just put storage compartments in, but at the time my truck was built all you could get on an XLT Super Cab was jump seats.

One feature that made it back BIG time and very happy was early 1990's CD in port on radios. The then CD in port is the new AUX port for your portable music gadget/phone.

Grandma's 1990 Subaru Legacy has it. I was quite happy when I used it recently.

Features no longer available on my car? - airconditioning, heater fan,the ability to lower the drivers window, a sound system of any sort, cigarette lighter...and probably several more I don't even notice. Do I care?...no.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
I like how Chrysler wont include an actual hitch with a tow package. They give you a harness to install yourself and the hitch is dealer add on. I bought mine aftermarket.....whoa Nelly that was a rough install.

It depends on the vehicle. The Ram trucks, Durango, Jeep GC, etc... still come with the hitch.

Engine bay/underhood light
Locking glove box

2 things I just don't get being done away with or at the least not an option.

EDIT - Just thought of another. The swap to automated AWD in many SUV's that the driver has ZERO control over vs 4WD the driver can engage as/when needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Engine bay/underhood light
Locking glove box

2 things I just don't get being done away with or at the least not an option.

EDIT - Just thought of another. The swap to automated AWD in many SUV's that the driver has ZERO control over vs 4WD the driver can engage as/when needed.

This. Was in a friend's SUV and said "where do you engage the 4x4?"
lol.gif
I love the lever in my Jeep, as well as the ability to switch from 4x4 to 2WD. None of this computer controlled AWD [censored].

Auto locks that only trigger when you're moving fast enough (rather than as soon as you place it in gear), memory side mirrors (not sure if other cars have these, but they're certainly rare), mechanical 4wd selector (vs push buttons), locking glove box, engine bay light, fog lights that aren't just for show.

Others are interior lights that shut off if you leave a door open, washer fluid low warning, seats with adjustable lumbar, full size spare tires.

A big one is auto headlights that don't dim the dash lighting when they're turned on manaully or with the wipers (dash lighting stays full brightness with headlights on or off unless it's actually dark out). I've never seen this on anything other than 96 - 98 Grand Cherokees.

Things I miss most are 1. simple AM/FM cassette 2. crank windows 3. more and more a 5 speed.

I will never buy something like Ford's MyTouch. I prefer to avoid power windows. I only want a stick shift. I do not need a stabilization system. I don't want any computer hookups nor provisions for cellular phones. H*ll I don't even use a cell phone now. Don't need a wheel larger than 15". I'm sure there will be more as they think of things to add.

Last, if I am going to miss the big 428 or 440s of the days past I am also going to miss the days of 0.31 cents premium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spector
Transmission Dipstick

My Sonata actually has one.

What I miss:
Keyed locks for the front passenger door and trunk.
Manual windows.
Headlights that can be replaced without taking half the front end apart (not an issue on the Sonata but I hear the Cobalt is a real bear to replace).

The V-6 engine.

Seriously, most small SUV's are going to solely 4-cylinder power. The V-6 in the Tribute/Escape was a great feature.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
The V-6 engine.

Seriously, most small SUV's are going to solely 4-cylinder power. The V-6 in the Tribute/Escape was a great feature.

I've got you beat: inline 6's are getting even harder to find.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back