No longer available features in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: arob85
Manual transmissions

Chevy added manuals to the Cruze lineup because there was a unforeseen demand for Cruzes with the turbo engine and a manual transmission. My own Cruze has that combination, and it makes the commute more entertaining.

Apparently Chevy discontinued a seat tilt feature for 2012...

Last edited:
I really miss the foot vents on my '81 Omega. They pushed alot of air through and kept the car cool without the noise of an open window. They make AC pretty optional if you don't drive in stop and go traffic up here in the snowy north.

Whomever said simplicity was right. One thing I do like about my Focus, it's about as simple as you can get today!

Did you have a problem getting the computer to accept the harness? A friend of mine spent a lot of time trying to get the tow package to work on his dodge journey.

A single-DIN head unit. That is probably it on my car.

Was the end of the license plate fuel filler because of a safety requirement? Or did the designers stop caring about a fuel door? It does seem like logical spot to put it.

My Dad had an 86 Taurus with the heated windshield. It was an awesome feature. You would start the car up and if there was ice hit the button and it would magically clear it off. That was and is the coolest thing.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Gas fillers behind the license plate. Pull in on either side of the pump: whatever, it'll reach.

My 1987 442 has the fuel fill behind the license plate.

Occasionally, I'll get puzzled looks from the foreign gas station attendants searching for the filler door asking "where is tank" in their mangled english.
(We still have full serve here in NJ
thumbsup2.gif
)

I have to open the trunk to fill the gas tank in my '67 Beetle ... which I think is awesome.

Also, vent windows.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
I like how Chrysler wont include an actual hitch with a tow package. They give you a harness to install yourself and the hitch is dealer add on. I bought mine aftermarket.....whoa Nelly that was a rough install.

Per a driver, the hitch will not clear the transporter ramps.

Originally Posted By: rfeir
tinted upper windshield,

I think the reason why they don't have tinted windows is because the windshields are sloped more for aerodynamics and fuel savings. If there was tinting, than a tall person 6'-5"+ might not be able to see.

Features I miss:
Hand Crank windows and manual door lock.
Carburetors.
Vent windows.
Cabin air filters.
8-track player.
sick.gif

Non-Computer controlled engine.
cheap gasoline

Originally Posted By: Loobed

Features I miss:
Hand Crank windows and manual door lock.
Carburetors.
Vent windows.
Cabin air filters.
8-track player.
sick.gif

Non-Computer controlled engine.
cheap gasoline

Just about every new car has a cabin air filter and they're more popular than ever
confused2.gif

Cheap gasoline isn't a feature.
Vent windows I'm kind of indifferent to.
The rest of those features: all I can say is, good riddance!

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
light in the engine compartment,

My 1996 GMC Yukon GT had a under hood light on a extension cord, you could pull it out and it reached a very long way's great for tire changing ect.. when you were done the lights housing had a crank on it.. you simply cranked it back into place like a garden hose.. it was truly a great simple idea !

My 2006 Chevy Silverado doesn NOT have this feature and i wish it did. (it doesnt even have a underhood light)

Dad's 1992 Silverado 2500 had the same thing. I took it off before he sold the truck, and re-installed it on his 2000 Sierra 1500.

Chrysler took the automatic headlamps off of the Town and Country some time before 2007. Dad is NOT happy about this.

New cars dont need one, but my old 71 Nova had a choke lever. I thought it was kinda cool that depending on when I last drove it or what time of the day it was, I knew how far to pull it out in order for the motor to fire right up and idle with confidence. Everyone else that drove the car couldnt get it to start.

..............Decontenting is king at Chrysler.

Chrysler is not alone in decontenting. Just about all makes do it. When a model is early in the cycle before redo, they are contented out more for marketing than anything. As they get closer to the next model redo makeover, then the decontenting is more aggressive to save on costs.

I have seen decontenting on my previously owned 2005 F250 and even my 2010 Tundra compared to previous model years of the current model cycle.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: bepperb
The Highlander has this amazing feature where you can control the temperature of the entire interior with just one easy to turn knob. Not three knobs (our Sienna), not an LCD with a bar graph, not in a menu somewhere, no touch screen.

It also doesn't ding ding ding ding ding ding ding ding if you drive 20 feet without the seatbelt, like in a parking garage, or to get the mail, or backing a trailer.

Lastly it has a full size spare.

Sadly, probably my last car with these features.

I have that HVAC feature too, and I agree it is awesome! My truck will aggressively chime if driven without a seat belt on, but that is quickly disabled by simply pushing the buckle release once. Ford did away with that trick in '04 I think.

I have a full size spare as well, and conveniently mounted on a winch system from underneath so you don't have to remove any cargo to get to it.

Every vehicle I have had with a donut had had the donut replaced with a real tire. On my cars, it has always been a winter tire; on the Jeep, it's a full sized spare (albeit slightly smaller). Donuts aren't safe.

The seatbelt chime is annoying. My '11 focus had it, hitting the seatbelt release does not longer work. I had to go through this odd procedure to disable the beltminder.

I also had to go through an odd procedure to disable the auto locks. I never liked that feature ... I attribute it to the door locks wearing out on my 2001 Taurus.

As far as the hard to use HVAC controls; I'm glad I have two vehicles that are fairly "simple". I always liked the manual HVAC levers that older vehicles had, because they rarely failed. Then the vacuum ones weren't so bad, minimal electronics.

My Focus has an electronic push button one for the vents (push defrost, feet, face, etc). I suspect I'll have problems with it eventually.

I recently drove a Ford Taurus X (08) and ... I could NOT , for the life of me, figure out how to operate the HVAC. I'm in IT.

Another feature that I miss on my Focus is the trunk key ... I can only open the trunk with the keyfob or switch in the car.

The ability to order a car with NO; power windows, power mirrors, power seats, and no rear window defroster.

I know those are not considered "features" to most on here, nor ANY of the consumer U.S. public, but they ARE to me. (I like; simple, light, low battery drain, and can live without much 'convenience', but NOT without performance.
wink.gif
)

I can't seen anybody missing the jump seats in a Ranger, or late '70s extended cab full-size.

Who needs an underhood light when my new Jeep came with a flashlight
smile.gif

How about tool kits and first aid kits? This was a motorcycle and eurotrash car thing mostly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back