No filtration at all experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jongies3
Why would anyone wanna do this? I guess unless you don't care about your car or have a beater...

I agree, saving about $50 over a 5 year period on oil filters doesn't seem worth the risk of increased engine wear.

Following manufacturer recommended oil system maintenance seems like a no brianer.

In the military, preventive maintenance is consistently performed to ensure equipment longevity and readiness. I think the same applies to most internal combustion engines.

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I agree, saving about $50 over a 5 year period on oil filters doesn't seem worth the risk of increased engine wear. ...
It's "worth the risk" when the risk doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: Joenpb
I agree, saving about $50 over a 5 year period on oil filters doesn't seem worth the risk of increased engine wear. ...
It's "worth the risk" when the risk doesn't exist.

Please provide proof in terms of a link that there is no risk of premature wear not following OEM oil filter guidelines. In the automotive industry where every mfc is looking to increase profit they all seem to use some type of oil filter. That wouldn't be the case if it weren't needed.

After one has been on this forum a while it becomes clear that for every piece of good advice there is bad advice to match.

The engineers of the VW had so much confidence in the efficiency of the oil bath air cleaner (that was fitted with from the factory) there was no need for an oil filter. Now when you get someone who wants to modify the engine that's the first thing that goes and usually a less efficient (at filtering) unit is applied. The oil bath air cleaner was designed in such a way that the air had to make one or more sharp turns (Particles fall out as they cannot turn like the air and particles are caught in the oil) and had to flow through an oil soaked metal mesh.
Somewhere down the line a group of engineers somewhere figured that a pleated paper element was better at filtering the air. Supposedly this has been proven many times. there are filters that use oil in the filtering media, foam and cotton mesh types. Motorcycles have been using oil soaked foam filters for years. Some don't even have an oil filter but racked up many miles. I'm not an engineer, I'm just stating my observations.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The 1956 Citroen HY van has no oil filter.

Definately a world leader in automotive design.
laugh.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4131246/Amsoil_EA15K51_-_42,938_miles_#Post4131246

You need the particle counts IMO...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back