No change B&S engines

JHZR2

Staff member
I saw some older threads on this, but have a few questions…

I assume they no longer come with a drain plug - ive read that

I assume one coukd turn it on its side or use a vacuum removal tool to get the oil out..

My main question is - if I was to buy a toro that has the smart stow tilt to store feature, could there be a baffle or other design in the sump that would make oil changing more difficult?

Im interested in the toro recycler mowers, amd with more and more bikes in my shed, I think the smart store design could actually be useful to me… but I obviously want to be able to change the oil…

thanks!

You turn them on their side, the newer style gas tanks are designed not to spill if you turn the engine with the oil filler facing down even with a tank mostly full of fuel.
I have a “not that new” B&S lawn mower that has no drain plug, if you try to dump the oil out tilting it and replacing with new.

1. Usually won’t restart without extreme prejudice (either and a carb clean recommended)
2. Once started Usually fumigates the neighborhood for 10 minutes after a change.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to tilt the mower to change the oil should be drug out into the street and shot.
IMG_4291.jpeg

I thought the OP was asking about mowers that claim to never need an oil change and not about storing them vertically?

I don't know if they did away with the drain plug but if I bought one I would figure out a way to change the oil annually.

Its what I use and oils changes are easy enough by tipping. Been a good mower. Can’t remember the exact number - either 18 or 20 fluid ounces, but it all comes out.

The plastic parts on the mower body may break, but they are easy enough to replace and source.

I don't mind doing the oil changes through the dipstick tube, I've never had any problems starting my engines after doing it, and I find it much easier than dealing with the drain plug that might strip and I can pour the oil straight into a mcdonald's cup and don't have to muck around with getting a pan dirty.

Its what I use and oils changes are easy enough by tipping. Been a good mower. Can’t remember the exact number - either 18 or 20 fluid ounces, but it all comes out.

The plastic parts on the mower body may break, but they are easy enough to replace and source.
The 125cc-163cc OHV engines hold right around 16oz.

My main question is - if I was to buy a toro that has the smart stow tilt to store feature, could there be a baffle or other design in the sump that would make oil changing more difficult?
The engine should be the same as any 125cc-163cc Briggs OHV engine. My only gripe is that I have some mowers that are about 6-8 years old that I was working on and left on there side for a few weeks and eventually the oil started seeping around where the dipstick seals to the tube, so I'd personally be weary of leaving oil in the unit if it's going to be stored over the winter as you may find your sump dumped on the garage floor.

I have a craftsman mower that is, by the manual, supposed to be tipped over to change the oil. Actually it has a drain plug. Noticed it when I did the first blade change.

I have a “not that new” B&S lawn mower that has no drain plug, if you try to dump the oil out tilting it and replacing with new.

1. Usually won’t restart without extreme prejudice (either and a carb clean recommended)
2. Once started Usually fumigates the neighborhood for 10 minutes after a change.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to tilt the mower to change the oil should be drug out into the street and shot.View attachment 171212
Manual Fluid Extractor

Small Extractor

You need this to make it easy. been using one for 6 years it has been a good investment. If the big one is too much then this little none works just not as much fun

1691347396863.jpg

1691346990170.jpg

Last edited:
I have a fear of tilting the mower. I'm the guy who has to clean the engine oil out of the carburetor.

That’s very helpful, thanks!

Cliff’s notes - try redesigned the fuel tank and improved the surface finish of the dipstick tube so the Oring seals better. Not sure I’m 100% trusting of that one over the long run.

I thought the OP was asking about mowers that claim to never need an oil change and not about storing them vertically?

I don't know if they did away with the drain plug but if I bought one I would figure out a way to change the oil annually.
A bit of both. The toro is on my short list, and I’d buy the smart stow one I think. All modern mowers with B&S engines seem to have this no change “feature”.

I have syringes and vacuum pumps. Not a big deal. Was just curious.

I have a fear of tilting the mower. I'm the guy who has to clean the engine oil out of the carburetor.

Agree.

The directions that you're tilting the mower to draining the oil or stow away doesn't allow for oil to find it's way into the crankcase vent, I've been changing the oil these style engines for years and have never had a problem with oil leaking on the carb/air filter, the only thing I've had a problem with was overfilling the gas tank or running a mower downhill causing gas to spill out the little vent tube onto the air filter, but if the mower is tilted with the gas tank up that's not a problem as the vent will be at the very top of the system.

Been tipping my mowers on the side to drain the oil since I bought my first mower in 1972,

My Honda 160 doesn’t have a drain plug neither does my toro super recycler 163. Bought the 163 a month ago. The place I bought it from said to change the oil after the first 3-5 hours of use even though it says not to change it. Both I tip on its side. The Honda is 15 years old.

Back