New WM oil filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tenderloin - the theory of the infinite drainfield is to allow the media to load more evenly. The effect is to minimize pressure gradients across the media. The media will still develop DP depending on the flow rate through the media. This agrees with what ZeeOSix said above.

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with e-cores if they were the same size as the regular filter size, they are shorter and in some applications being shorter they are a little bit harder to remove.

but anyways.

If anyone comes across the ST2 could you see if its an E-core or not?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

One thing I'm still not comfortable with is combo valves.

I despise combo valves.
I think Fram has the best bypass valve and ADBV designs offered by anyone out there.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
I probably wouldn't have much of a problem with e-cores if they were the same size as the regular filter size, they are shorter and in some applications being shorter they are a little bit harder to remove.

but anyways.

I’m a bit puzzled by that because GM changed to E cores on their truck engines and the length of the truck filters prior to 2014 stayed the same length and the E core filters for 2014 onward actually got longer. Can you give us an example of what you saw? Thanks.

SF

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

but anyways.

I’m a bit puzzled by that because GM changed to E cores on their truck engines and the length of the truck filters prior to 2014 stayed the same length and the E core filters for 2014 onward actually got longer. Can you give us an example of what you saw? Thanks.

SF
I think he's referring to jobber level filters, like Fram TLEs & quickie lube filters, which have been shrinking faster than a new cotton shirt in the dryer!

Any bad examples of the reworked ecores? They say the cage is 2x stronger than a steel core, so not sure why the opinions continue based on the first design? I would rather not have a steel tube with burs on the holes on the clean side of an oil filter, so like the ecore cage better.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Champ Lab said the cage is 2X stronger than a steel core. It was in their feature list on the e core. I like the updated e core, always have, always will.
laugh.gif
Thousands are stuck on cars in shops every day. Better than supporting China's manufacturing empire. These new ST's are going to ding Fram's shelf sales at WM I bet. The white paint ones weren't eye catching enough, the blue is better. The blue looks OE I want to buy one. People are
hooked.gif
on anything new with new color paint.

They should have used the same filter design and repainted it with the same graphics, instead of using a cheap sticker...
49.gif

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... These new ST's are going to ding Fram's shelf sales at WM I bet...
Another change with the "new ST's": Now they include the mini-cartridge filter for recent 1.8L Toyotas, as I discovered yesterday at the local WalMart. Stranger still, they appear identical to the old made-in-USA version of the Fram CH10358 (of which one was on the shelf just above the ST10358s, along with several Chinese CH10358s). I didn't check other SuperTech cartridges to see whether they're apparently Fram-sourced, too.

Last edited:
When the eCores were first introduced there were failures due to media blowout. These issues have since been resolved and several million vehicles are running around using eCore filters without issue. If there are issues, it has not reached an epidemic level.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

but anyways.

SF

maybe not so much with the delco filters but other brands.

I know the old e-core Supertechs were shorter in the PH2 size

I have 2 Defense oil filters in the PH2 size, one ecore and the other is not, one shorter and longer, I'll have to take a pic sometime to show the difference

Ecores now appear to have a beefed up the cage, more axial and longitudinal truss sections. Also tighter more uniform pleating. That said, with the exception of vehicles with block bypass all ST & AZ STP blue ecores use a nitrile combo valve.

Compare that to the current ACDelco ecores for newer GM vehicles. They use a separate poppet type dome bypass. So GM/ACDelco has said NO to combo valves on their ecores. Why is that? Draw your own conclusion.

I wouldn't run ecores with a combo valve to 10k miles as noted on the box. If I used them, ~5k miles would be the max for me. That said, same as with previous Wix made ST I prefer a separate bypass like previous ST9688 & ST3614. So with the possible exception ecores for engines with block bypass, for me I'd stick with the classic construction applications. Those include the 6607, 9688/3593a the 9386 posted here and the 7317 if WM ST is going to have that application. My .02

yeah i just saw the new filters tonight, disappointed the sizes i most use are ecores.

oh well, i'll have to shop around for a different cheap filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back