new truck oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota is also recommending 0w-20 and clearly states you can use 5w-20 is ok if 0w-20 is not available, but change it to 0w-20 after 1 OCI or sooner if using 5w-20.

My guess this was for the variable valve timing on the Toyota, don't know about the 5.3 internals though.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
I have been trying to decide the same thing. I have been looking at running either a 5w20 or 5w30 in Mobil EP for my new 2017 5.3 silverado. I believe the noack of both are better which I gather is important on these new direct injection motors. Also from what I gather the the 5-30 is so close to the 5-20 it really won't make a difference. I have considered looking at a 0-30 but not sure if Mobil makes a 0-30. Plus it probably has a bunch of VI modifers and that would make the noack go up? My old 6.2 silverado I used Mobil 0 40 both flavors. It ran great.
I do believe these new ecotec motors are a little different. Till someone or myself gets inside one completely to check any kind main or rod bearing clearance nobody knows for sure.

Mobil does indeed make a M1 0w30, two types in fact.

M1 0w30 variants

So I guess for me it comes down to three for use in my 2017 5.3 silverado 0-20 5-20 or 0-30. Id like to see some specs of the 0 30 weights that are offered by Mobil and what there noack is or effect on direct injection.

I would be leaning heavily toward the 0W-30
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I would be leaning heavily toward the 0W-30
laugh.gif

I'm with you.

Don’t know how long I can take the thin oil in the 5.3L … I’ll start with 0w20 but ………………

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Both are quality oils with HTHS 3.1

Note that the ESP meets European specifications and is a higher HT/HS oil. The HT/HS of ESP is 3.5 making it an ACEA C2/C3 product.

The AFE is a North American fuel economy product.

Are any of the Mobil oils in the discussed in this thread a low or non sodium add package, are any of the oils listed based on a boron / moly based add package. I'm thinking that may be a better choice for a DI motor

Bump, I'm going to either use the mobil 1 EP 5W-30 or one of the 0w 30 that Mobil offers, I'm just not sure which had the best properties for a DI motor as far and nonac and hths and add package between them. Any help is appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back