New tool thread

SK day.

1/4” semi deep nos, and a used 1/4 set. I love theb1/4 set. This one has seen some use. My biggest issue is the broken box clasps. Can they be replaced?

IMG_5020.jpeg
IMG_5021.jpeg

My ~45-year old Yasui 1.5-ton jack has come to the point where it needs an ED pill. With no load, the saddle will rise and sink with each pump stroke. Putting a load on the saddle will result in it "catching" and holding, but settling slowly over time. The release valve has long been kind of touchy and abrupt, so I suspect it's sticking and not holding pressure, rather than the other seals.

This unit was actually made in Japan, and I guess the common design that was rebranded by many different retailers at the time, and then later cloned by manufacturers in Taiwan and China. Rebuild kits are available for ~$50, but that's a project I will save for later.

So for now, enter a HF Pittsburgh LP 3-ton. Been hankering something with a lower profile and higher lift, and opportune time, on sale for a Benjamin. Thought I missed out on it, but they "extended" it for another weekend.

Deeply mulled the Daytona version, and if it carried a longer warranty like in the past, would have opted for it, but now both are only 90 day. Otherwise, they're very, very similar, and the only difference between the SKUs currently sold have shrunk down to essentially the frame/wheel gusseting, plus a thin rubber saddle pad. And more colors.

jack.jpg

The "El Paso" copy of the Baum spring compressor for Mercedes. About $125 shipped (used) on ebay

I don't know if I'll EVER use this so a full-blown Klann or "real" Baum doesn't make sense.
20240318_193657.jpg

My ~45-year old Yasui 1.5-ton jack has come to the point where it needs an ED pill. With no load, the saddle will rise and sink with each pump stroke. Putting a load on the saddle will result in it "catching" and holding, but settling slowly over time. The release valve has long been kind of touchy and abrupt, so I suspect it's sticking and not holding pressure, rather than the other seals.

This unit was actually made in Japan, and I guess the common design that was rebranded by many different retailers at the time, and then later cloned by manufacturers in Taiwan and China. Rebuild kits are available for ~$50, but that's a project I will save for later.

So for now, enter a HF Pittsburgh LP 3-ton. Been hankering something with a lower profile and higher lift, and opportune time, on sale for a Benjamin. Thought I missed out on it, but they "extended" it for another weekend.

Deeply mulled the Daytona version, and if it carried a longer warranty like in the past, would have opted for it, but now both are only 90 day. Otherwise, they're very, very similar, and the only difference between the SKUs currently sold have shrunk down to essentially the frame/wheel gusseting, plus a thin rubber saddle pad. And more colors.

View attachment 209044
I recently bought a 3 ton Daytona version in green when they were having a sale on them recently. I wanted the orange one but they were out of stock. Mine is the long reach low profile version. I know it feels a lot heavier than my older Pittsburgh 3 ton that I own.

Back