What triggered you to align with a certain manufacturer for your cordless tools?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Reading the "new tool thread" discussion on the quality of Makita cordless tools, thought to ask why BITOGERS align to certain manufacturers of cordless tools.

Many of us will stick with one manufacturer simply to keep the batteries the same. I suspect if all manufacturers used the same battery, our tool boxes might not have cordless tool brand loyalty.

My manufacturer loyalty is to Milwaukee. The reason is PEX A tubing. Milwaukee manufacturers the only readily available cordless PEX A plumbing expansion tool.

Milwaukee making the PEX a expansion tool has made my cordless tool purchases exclusively Milwaukee. What's your reason/ justification?

Reactions: JC1
I mentioned it previously in that thread, but it’s simple: Makita was the first to offer cordless drills. Makita makes great tools. My 43 year old Makita drill, a 3/8” corded model, still works.

My 30 year old Makita 1/4” plunge router is still great. My 20 year old Makita 10” slide compound miter saw is still great.

So, I got my first cordless Makita was around 1990 and it was a game changer. Made so many jobs so much easier. Of note, that drill still works. I still use it, even though the 9.6V NiCad batteries aren’t made by Makita any more.

When I built a deck in 2004, which had hardwood decking, I needed a driver and drill to run the few thousand screws. Naturally, I got a Makita set, in 14.4v NiMH. Those two tools still work. Batteries are hard to find. But they run.

A dozen or so years ago, I needed another cordless for a project. Makita again. Now in 18v Li-ion.

Those new batteries have great capacity, and seem to run forever. I labeled all the batteries with a Sharpie to keep track in case one wore out. Battery #1, a 12 year old battery, ran my impact all day yesterday doing suspension work. I’m all in on the 18V Makita ecosystem. Great tools, great performance, great batteries.

At the moment, most of my cordless tools are down at my shop. But at home, here is the charging setup.

IMG_2164.jpeg
In view, 9.6V Makita, the 14.4V driver and drill, an 18v driver, and an 18v 1/2” impact, an 18v reciprocating saw (mostly used for pruning). Not in view, but at the house, 18v job site radio, 18v oscillating multi tool, 18v string trimmer, 18v hedge trimmer, 36v leaf blower and 36V lawn mower.

There are dual 18v chargers for the lawn mower and leaf blower. We’re completely electric for normal yard work.

There is a 12v Bosch in view. Such a handy little drill. No equivalent in the Makita ecosystem.

Down at the shop are the rest of the Makita tools, all 18v, and a coup,e of chargers. There are two 1/2” drills, an impact driver, 1/2” impact wrench, which sees a lot of use, oscillating multi tool, reciprocating saw, 18v leaf blower (faster than sweeping), flood light, jig saw, and angle grinder (new).

I’ve also got a set of 12V Milwaukee tools. Both the 1/4 and 3/8” cordless ratchets. They can’t be beat. Compact. Super useful. Work light. 3/8” angle drill. 3/8” 12v impact. Great tools.

I would be remiss if I didn’t publicly thank @D60 for the Milwaukee 12V chargers. I keep a supply of those 12V charged up, the light in particular goes through batteries because it’s always on. The ratchets get a lot of use, but they’re surprisingly energy efficient.

But having the same battery system across all the big tools is way more convenient from a battery and charger management perspective. Makita yard tools, which work great, by the way, tipped the scale in favor of Makita for all the big tools.

And that first pair of Makita 18V Li-ion batteries, now 12 years old, still used daily, powering my impact and drill down at the shop, is still going strong. Very impressive.

Last edited:
GON, I think it depends on the consumer's point of view of use. For me, I have recently (within the last 2 years) invested pretty heavily in Ryobi cordless tools. I am not a contractor and tools only see ocassional around the house use. If I was a contractor though, I think Milwaukee or Dewalt would be my go to brand.

Reactions: GON
I'm basically a DIY type of person, and generally bought Craftsman.
Over the years, they generally changed up batteries which meant IME that the ones that I had became hard to find and/or pricey.
When Sears (and the batteries I had for my set) bit the dust, I decided to go Dewalt.
They presented to me as a strong value proposition regarding homeowner vs. contractor grade tools.
They are a definite upgrade over DIY equipment for not all that much more money.
I liked the fact that there was better availability on the older batteries, and better support in general.
It also helped in my decision making that I got a really nice deal on a set of their 20V on sale.

Reactions: GON
I always buy DeWalt because it seems there are lots of stores that sell that brand. I don't do a lot of work with my tools but they are there when I need them. The weed blower and string trimmer get used the most and they are 60 volt.

A few years ago I bought a refurbished 20v Dewalt 1/4" impact driver on ebay just to try out battery tools, as everything I had at the time was air powered or corded. It quickly became my favorite tool (still is).

Went with Ingersoll Rand. Consider them as industrial grade as opposed to the light duty other brands found at Home Depot as being made mainly for Harry Homeowner.

Started out with Ryobi drills but the batteries had a very short life span in my occasional usage. Switched to DeWalt and so far so good.
I always wondered though, would it be possible or does anyone already do it; in lieu of a battery or as a fail safe, could they make a transformer in the same configuration as a battery but it is corded so if you exhaust your available battery power you can snap in the cord adapter and basically now have a corded tool while the batteries are recharging?

Reactions: LDB
Went with Ingersoll Rand. Consider them as industrial grade as opposed to the light duty other brands found at Home Depot as being made mainly for Harry Homeowner.
Have no argument for your thought process on cordless tool brand preference. But I am always surprised to see how many youtube videos by mechanics/ technicians use Milwaukee cordless tools.

I needed a impact driver - I think its called, to drive some tapcons? A friend of mine told me to get rigid and register the battery for lifetime warranty. Not to mention HD had a deal for the impact driver, a regular drill, and two batteries for $99.

So far those are my only ones - but they have a couple others I would like - a circular saw and battery sawzall would be handy.

Makita for me for all the reasons Astro stated. I too started with Makita corded and eventually got into the cordless line, the tools and batteries have been amazing, never a failure or disappointment, I even have small circular saw 9v IIRC that I bought to cut thin plywood for a project I was doing many years ago and it is still working. I also have some Hilti stuff that is very good but a bit pricy.
I did try Milwaukee for a few small tools that were not available from Makita, the cordless pipe cutter and cordless dremel type tool after my dremel branded one let the smoke out. The tools themselves are good enough but the batteries have cost me more than the tools did due to constant failures in the M12 round batteries and poor warranty service. I definitely would not buy Milwaukee for my every day cordless.

I still have some old USA made Milwaukee corded tools, the sawzall and plumbers right angle drill that is a monster and built like a tank, to me those are real Milwaukee power tools.

Have no argument for your thought process on cordless tool brand preference. But I am always surprised to see how many youtube videos by mechanics/ technicians use Milwaukee cordless tools.
Few people even know about Ingersoll Rand, and those that do, only know them from seeing their air compressors at highway construction sites. Milwaukee certainly has greater market penetration.

I liked how Makita felt in hand. Decent reviews, did what I needed, done. Only been a few years but given the reviews I'm not particularly worried.

I decided to go with the Milwaukee line because I knew mechanics with Milwaukee, Dewalt, Earthquake, Makita, Ryobi and Rigid. All of which were nice enough to let me try their tools out for a day or two to see how I liked them when I was in the market converting from air to power as mainline. Out of those brands the brand that preformed the best was Milwaukee followed by Makita then to my suprise Earthquake. Dewalt with a fully charged battery couldn’t remove hardly anything and it was a fairly new 18 volt tool and it just felt like typical cheap Black and Decker junk. It just didn’t impress me and seemed underpowered. The Rigid disappointed the most with Ryobi second from the bottom. Overall everyone has their preferences just like with most tools and oil and whatever lol. But I was glad to have coworkers who had no hesitation to let me use their stuff while I decided. I almost bought the entire line of Earthquake stuff because it’s mighty impressive and several mechanics I know swear by it but I decided to go with Milwaukee because you never know when Harbor Freight might discontinue or change a product somehow. I use my 3/8 Milwaukee impact everyday I love the thing. My 1/2 comes out for those really stubborn fasteners or anything big like axle nuts which it has no problems removing like the Dewalt did.

I have Ridgid stuff from Home Depot because of the lifetime warranty on the batteries. I had prior stuff from different manufacturers (pre Lithiun Ion) that the batteries went bad in.

So far, I haven’t had to use the warranty.
Started with milwaukie, both batteries kicked the bucket after 5 years, but buying two new batteries cost as much as the drill with 2 batteries...
Went to rigid and their 1/2" hammer drill and it does everything the milwaukie did and when one ni-cad died, they sent me a pair of 3Ah Li batteries and a charger. No cost. The drill is now 15 years old and has survived a bit of abuse by me and 5 years of kid use, so I don't know how much more you need?
For a home owner, if Rigid makes all the cordless tools you need, I would just go with them, as you never buy another battery again.

Dewalt for their weed trimmer, reciprocating saw, and impact drill but couldn’t resist the Milwaukee impact gun, and wrench, and then their car vac, with their sleek compact battery design. So yes, ended up with two brands of batteries, of which I own two each. I also purchased a Waitly brand knock-off of the Dewalt and it’s functioning well.

Reactions: 4WD
I don't have any, and having two left thumbs I don't really need any, but after all I've read in this and other threads I believe I'd go with Makita if I were to buy anything. They seem to get the best overall ratings and reviews and those who like them seem most sincere in their appreciation of them.

Back