New Silverado Acquisition

I don't blame you on the F-150. I think they're nice trucks, but have heard about a lot of issues with the 10 speeds. I would hope they'd be worked out by now for the 2024 models but I'm not sure. I'm sure it was incredibly frustrating to have an expensive vehicle with constant issues.

You're right on the programming with Chevys, I drove a Duramax with the 10 speed a little while back and was incredibly impressed with it 👍

I had a rental just like that one when I was in Las Vegas ("standard" pickups were available at a bargain rate, so why not?). I expected something more akin to a Nissan Frontier but I got a Silverado in white instead. I fully see the attraction - it was roomy and comfortable and ate up the highway miles effortlessly. It was a very nice truck!

Reactions: CKN
Some towing info. Enjoy.

A443A05D-AA7A-46A1-9611-D80977B83D49.jpg

So, did the dealer try to fix the F-150's trans? Software only, or were parts replaced?

Since it was still under the 5/60k warranty I'm surprised you didn't keep it for longer.

So, did the dealer try to fix the F-150's trans? Software only, or were parts replaced?

Since it was still under the 5/60k warranty I'm surprised you didn't keep it for longer.
Perusing the Ford boards and their interactions with dealers for FULL transmission replacements made for interesting reading...that's all I am going to say. An then the results after repairs (very rarely full replacements) was even more interesting.

Last time I talked to the transmission guy at the Ford Dealerships there were 50 repairs/replacements, etc. in front of me. And this isn't L.A. or any other major city either.......

The truck was traded in at the Chevrolet dealership. The truck was driven 14,000 miles with the transmission the way it was from the factory. It was behaving differently from when I bought it.

The truck is still serviceable-if you can tolerate it.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2024 Sierra 1500 last year with a 5.3. New 10 speed is butter smooth. Even with sudden accelerations merging onto a highway is very smooth. Used to own a 2019 Silverado with a 8-speed. This 10 speed much better. I'm glad GM's version hasn't had much issues except a bearing I believe. May be due to a tolerance stacking issues. I will be treating this tranny good and sticking with 50k miles ATF fluid changes. Given the low chance of a DFM Issue I'm sticking with the OLM for OCI. Highly recommend installing this auto start remover. Much nicer than those cheap obd2 port chip deals.

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/gm/products/2019-silverado-autostop-eliminator

Read the description on the bottom of the page for GM vehicles:

https://www.autostopeliminator.com/collections/gm

A boat and a travel trailer is a completely different animal-towing wise.
Yup. Towing my sand rail on a Uhaul car hauler trailer back from Oregon with the 2014 Grand Cherokee was a walk in the park, I was impressed. But now we tow a NuCamp Tab400 travel trailer and it's a parachute and struggles, runs hot in the hills too. I mean it gets the job done but they aren't comparable other than the weight both being around 3,200 pounds. Has a 6,200 pound towing capacity.

Curious when you were looking if you were making sure it had the lower gears and transmission cooler?

Yup. Towing my sand rail on a Uhaul car hauler trailer back from Oregon with the 2014 Grand Cherokee was a walk in the park, I was impressed. But now we tow a NuCamp Tab400 travel trailer and it's a parachute and struggles, runs hot in the hills too. I mean it gets the job done but they aren't comparable other than the weight both being around 3,200 pounds. Has a 6,200 pound towing capacity.

Curious when you were looking if you were making sure it had the lower gears and transmission cooler?
With a ten speed transmission gearing of the rear end is just about a mute point. Its really hard to "feel" the difference between the 3's and 4's rear end ratios with a ten speed-JMHO.

Maybe if you are towing "heavy" with a Superduty or similar it's more important.

Last edited:
The GM and Ford 10 speeds have the same "Base" design, but there are changes after the fact. LIkewise, the calibration is done completely seperately by each company.

Agree, I've driven an F150 and GM twins and it feels like a totally different transmission.

Back