2022 Acura MDX Type S. New ride.

I pulled the trigger on a CPO Acura MDX. I had a 2013 Tahoe that was getting rusty but ran good and large with poor fuel mileage. I also have an Accord coupe that I love but will probably sell because I just don’t drive it any more because it’s too small for a family. I wanted something quick and nimble with third row seating. I cross shopped the Acura, Explorer ST, and the new Mazda CX-90. The Mazda seemed very mediocre in every way. Paint was horrid and I was shocked for a flagship suv. Explorer interior was horrid fit and finish, dealer was jerks, and was concerned about quality with ford. I have had very good luck with Hondas and hope to continue with this. Being that it’s a CPO with 9000 miles on the clock it comes with a 100,000 mile CPO warranty and a 2.9% interest rate for 60 months. Very good in todays world!View attachment 168421View attachment 168422View attachment 168423
Beautiful!

Love the blue, and the 100k first party warranty is great. It's those third party ones that aren't worth the paper they're printed on.
CNA is who administered my 3rd party warranty and from first hand experience I prefer them to some OEM warranty. Covers everything including loaner/rental. No pushback.

OP, AWESOME ride! If I didn't drive much, Id have looked hard at the MDS S Advance Aspec myself!

CNA is who administered my 3rd party warranty and from first hand experience I prefer them to some OEM warranty. Covers everything including loaner/rental. No pushback.

OP, AWESOME ride! If I didn't drive much, Id have looked hard at the MDS S Advance Aspec myself!
A lot of third party warranties will cover up to what you have paid them then they'll cut you off. Not to say there aren't any good ones. There definitely are but it's difficult to find out the truth when searching since they will say what they want about themselves so it's best to just get a direct warranty as that's guaranteed.

A lot of third party warranties will cover up to what you have paid them then they'll cut you off. Not to say there aren't any good ones. There definitely are but it's difficult to find out the truth when searching since they will say what they want about themselves so it's best to just get a direct warranty as that's guaranteed.
CNA paid out about 50% of what I bought it for. When I cancelled it, I got the exact pro rated amount left by mileage. This put them in the hole. Zero issues on my end.

CNA paid out about 50% of what I bought it for. When I cancelled it, I got the exact pro rated amount left by mileage. This put them in the hole. Zero issues on my end.
Usually the 3rd party warranties that are backed by an actual insurance company are fine.

I’m sorry you’re upset about that. I generally like Mazda and when I seen how poor the paint was and a couple other things I was turned off for a $60k flagship suv

Mazda are nice….. MDX is on a whole different level of performance and engineering.

Awesome color. Is that three stage and does it cost extra?
Pulled the paint code today at work and it is just a 2 stage. Base coat clear coat. It does have a special toner in the mix that is expensive. I betcha most of the other Acura colors are the same way except for the white and red being a true 3 stage pearl

By far the best blue I've ever seen and compliments the lines of the car so well.

Beautiful ride. Congrats! You will enjoy the vehicle for many years to come.

I saw your comments about Mazda. You can buy a brand new 2024 CX-90 select package for like 39K. The previous generation CX-9 was super reliable. But I have to admit your Acura looks better. The Mazda offers luxury like experience for less money. But I don't think they can't compete with Acura. Their customer base is totally different.

Tremendously sweet. LOOVe that blue.

Welcome to the Acura /Honda family

My ridgeline is basically the same drivetrain as the SHAWD and I can tell you it's one sweet package and supremely capable.

There are specific fluids you may wish to get like the Dual Pump II and Hondas specific trans fluids.

This place consistently has the most thorough supply of OEM stuff and they are quick and easy.

Last edited:
and exactly what part of an mdx is more advanced than a cx-90 in engineering ?

-The SHAWD system
-The 10 speed transmission
-The v6 is pretty proven but not novel or special, but the "proven" aspect isnt something Id throw out.

I had an RDX, and rode in a cx90 the other day with the 3.3T. The RDX touchpoints and interior were superior. The 3.3t sounded nice and was good, though. Overall, the MDX S just eats its lunch.

-The SHAWD system
-The 10 speed transmission
-The v6 is pretty proven but not novel or special, but the "proven" aspect isnt something Id throw out.

I had an RDX, and rode in a cx90 the other day with the 3.3T. The RDX touchpoints and interior were superior. The 3.3t sounded nice and was good, though. Overall, the MDX S just eats its lunch.
longitudinal engine layout, phev option, rear wheel drive bias awd platform, inline 6 engines. 8 speed wet clutch automatic transmission. the only thing the mdx type s has on the cx-90 is a bit more speed. that is all. mazda will develop it further more. they are a small company. it took a lot of ressources for them to make something like the cx-90. the quality of assembly is spectacular. it rivals or better than made in japan lexus.

longitudinal engine layout, phev option, rear wheel drive bias awd platform, inline 6 engines. 8 speed wet clutch automatic transmission. the only thing the mdx type s has on the cx-90 is a bit more speed. that is all. mazda will develop it further more. they are a small company. it took a lot of ressources for them to make something like the cx-90. the quality of assembly is spectacular. it rivals or better than made in japan lexus.

-The PHEV option is not so hot. Very unrefined.
-Longitudinal engine is nice, as is rwd based. But the mdx still handles better. Thats pretty telling regarding how much better SH-AWD is.
-Assembly likely is better than MDX S, but raw materials are a step below.
-The 8 speed is trash. They should have used the zf8. The Honda 10 speed is superior. The zf8 would have edged it out. But no. They had to build their own, and it sucks.

Back