2011 Silverado 6.2l 6l80 upgrades?

I've been reading so much online about the problems people are experiencing with their GM transmissions, so I'm debating on addressing some potential problems before they occur.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 with the 6.2l and 6 speed transmission. Currently at 87k miles. It has air raid jr intake, ARH long tube headers, and Blackbear tune. What would you suggest upgrading to help prolong the life of the transmission?

Thanks in advance!!

a good aftermarket converter is a must on 6l80’s. the factory converter doesn’t last under agressive driving in a heavy truck. a tru-cool 40k transmission cooler and fluid changes once a year after the converter will greatly increase the life span. also, if you had BB tune out ANY of your torque management, have him tune it back in. the 6 speed transmissions are clutch to clutch shifting and it will kill them early. you will
not notice any quicker 0-60 times with torque reduction tuned out.

a good aftermarket converter is a must on 6l80’s. the factory converter doesn’t last under agressive driving in a heavy truck. a tru-cool 40k transmission cooler and fluid changes once a year after the converter will greatly increase the life span. also, if you had BB tune out ANY of your torque management, have him tune it back in. the 6 speed transmissions are clutch to clutch shifting and it will kill them early. you will
not notice any quicker 0-60 times with torque reduction tuned out.
2nd the TC LPD - and put in an aftermarket drain plug - change a pan volume of ATF yearly - and the filter per schedule …

No, I actually don't run it hard at all.

Not sure how it was tuned by Blackbear, I let them make the decision as to what it needed. I will check on it.

I plan to stay up on fluid and filter changes. I have debated on getting a fluid extractors vs a pan with drain plug (not sure why drain plugs aren't OEM)

I have looked into the Trucool cooler based on your suggestions.

I will look into the torque converter recommended. If I run an aftermarket converter but keep the same stall speed, will the transmission need reprogrammed?

No, I actually don't run it hard at all.

Not sure how it was tuned by Blackbear, I let them make the decision as to what it needed. I will check on it.

I plan to stay up on fluid and filter changes. I have debated on getting a fluid extractors vs a pan with drain plug (not sure why drain plugs aren't OEM)

I have looked into the Trucool cooler based on your suggestions.

I will look into the torque converter recommended. If I run an aftermarket converter but keep the same stall speed, will the transmission need reprogrammed?
you can get add a drain plug kits that have you drill a hole and add it. for reprogramming with aftermarket stall, yes it will have to be programmed.

Billet Cover twin disc converter.
Sonnax 4-5-6 Clutch apply piston kit.
Sonnax 1-2-3-4 Apply piston.
TransGo Tow&Pro Shift Kit.
Converter Clutch timing & pressure tuning.

What would the cost be to rebuild and ship a 6L80 unit out with all these upgrades? What does this additional cost gain you in reliability/ longevity vs. a GM reman unit?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the new remans have a different torque convertor and updated internals? How would this compare to those "Monster" branded transmissions that you can buy with ease online?

My 2014 Silverado, 5.3, 53k miles, has had a trans tune at a shop, AFM deactivated, and pan dropped w/ filter change @ 47k miles.

What would the cost be to rebuild and ship a 6L80 unit out with all these upgrades? What does this additional cost gain you in reliability/ longevity vs. a GM reman unit?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the new remans have a different torque convertor and updated internals? How would this compare to those "Monster" branded transmissions that you can buy with ease online?

My 2014 Silverado, 5.3, 53k miles, has had a trans tune at a shop, AFM deactivated, and pan dropped w/ filter change @ 47k miles.

$4,200 including crating & programing/tuning the TECHM with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. $2,000 refundable Core Charge. Shipping charges are what they are.

Rarely do reman 6L80E's have a upgraded torque converter clutch & billet front cover, If the bolt lugs are welded to the front cover....It's a stock stamped steel cover.

Tuning out the slip & upping the TCC pressure a little does help stock converter clutches last longer than it would otherwise, But it can only take so much flexing/coning before the clutch lining wears & fails.

Research a little more about Monster! I don't like trash talking other builders so I'll leave it at that.

With only 53,000 miles, The best you could do is have the upgrades done to that unit as it hasn't had a TCC failure yet.
Assuming it's in the shape I think it would be....I could do the above for around $2,300 & I'll need the truck here or you'd have to ship the unit here. This would have a workmanship & parts warranty.

I have my converter guy use a Sonnax Twin-Disc 300mm kit on a stock JMBX Core, Here's a video to help with visualization of the upgrade.

$4,200 including crating & programing/tuning the TECHM with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. $2,000 refundable Core Charge. Shipping charges are what they are.

Rarely do reman 6L80E's have a upgraded torque converter clutch & billet front cover, If the bolt lugs are welded to the front cover....It's a stock stamped steel cover.

Tuning out the slip & upping the TCC pressure a little does help stock converter clutches last longer than it would otherwise, But it can only take so much flexing/coning before the clutch lining wears & fails.

Research a little more about Monster! I don't like trash talking other builders so I'll leave it at that.

With only 53,000 miles, The best you could do is have the upgrades done to that unit as it hasn't had a TCC failure yet.
Assuming it's in the shape I think it would be....I could do the above for around $2,300 & I'll need the truck here or you'd have to ship the unit here. This would have a workmanship & parts warranty.

I have my converter guy use a Sonnax Twin-Disc 300mm kit on a stock JMBX Core, Here's a video to help with visualization of the upgrade.

I greatly appreciate your detailed response! I wish I was closer as I would drive over to you...

Back