New Purolator Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OptimusPrime
Question. ....Did the Purolator tears start after Mann-Hummel purchased the company?

Looks like the answer to that question is yes, since the rash of media tearing reports here started around March 2014. Hard to say if the acquisition of Purolator by Mann Hummel had anything to do with it.

I do think however that the quality issues seen in the Purolators is one reason they are changing the design and look of the filters.

https://www.linkedin.com/company/purolator-filters-na-llc

I thought so, too. In any case, I'm not very keen on blaming Mann+Hummel for Purolator messups. Did a German physician come and give everyone on the factory floor a lobotomy to make them forget how to glue pleats evenly? Or, did a Mann+Hummel manager tell them not to bother doing it correctly any longer?

OK, so they have new paint jobs and new boxes with new names.

Purolator Classic = Purolator
Purolator PureOne = Purolator One
Purolator Synthetic = Purolator Boss

I would bet that the innards have not changed.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^^^Wasnt the first tear though prior to the aquisition?

From the link I posted, it says:
"In April 2012, the global filtration company, MANN+HUMMEL, acquired Purolator Filters and strengthened its position as the leading company in the automotive filtration industry."

The large rash of reported tears started around Mar-Apr 2014.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I may try one in two years after seeing what their filters became in the last couple of years im not brave enough to use anything purolater made!

I will wait about 2 years after monitoring what people say here on bitog i may buy one and cut it open just to see for myself.... Im also curious what Motorking thinks of their newly painted filters he will know before everyone else and he will say it like it is. At the moment im sticking with fram ultra for the premium filters and for the shop i will stay with Wix
Any opinion from Motorking would be like asking a Chevy salesman what he thought about a new Ford.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Unless they are flat out lying, the Boss is not like a Synthetic.
The other two the jury is out on that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Well... what are you waiting for? 14610 Please...

None of them in yet

14476 ?

11155005_906831929398199_2940084107556321400_o.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steveh
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I may try one in two years after seeing what their filters became in the last couple of years im not brave enough to use anything purolater made!

I will wait about 2 years after monitoring what people say here on bitog i may buy one and cut it open just to see for myself.... Im also curious what Motorking thinks of their newly painted filters he will know before everyone else and he will say it like it is. At the moment im sticking with fram ultra for the premium filters and for the shop i will stay with Wix
Any opinion from Motorking would be like asking a Chevy salesman what he thought about a new Ford.

Thanks Purolator customer service. Continue to bash Fram while your filters are tearing.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Unless they are flat out lying, the Boss is not like a Synthetic.
The other two the jury is out on that.

They don't come right out and say the Boss has full synthetic media, but it must in order to be rated to 15K miles. The "reinforced polymer mesh backing" is their way of supporting the media instead of using a metal mesh backing.

Boss Link

PurolatorBOSS™ Oil Filters

PurolatorBOSS premium oil filters are the next generation
in oil filtration, delivering maximum engine protection.
BOSS features exclusive SmartFUSION Technology™
with fully integrated, polymer reinforced filter media for
extended mileage and performance. It’s engineered to
work well with all oil types and is the ideal match for full
synthetic oils and synthetic blends.

The "polymer reinforced" is just the plastic netting used instead of wire mesh I believe.

It could be a full synthetic media but with other competitors advertising as such I don't know why you wouldn't say so if it was. Perhaps it is a syn blend with high capacity to get the 15k rating.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Never mind I checked the web page again it says "100% full synthetic media" for the Boss.

I looked all over at the Boss info on Purolator's site and didn't see the full synthetic blurb. Mus be buried someplace ... not good advertising IMO. If it's full synthetic best say that every time the media is mentioned.

I also never say any test spec or particle size referenced like they use to with their 99% efficiency claim.

You are right it is hard to find... it is here:

Boss Link

Good point about the very vague 99% statement... copied a page from Wix's playbook on that. They don't even call it 99% efficiency, just "99% Dirt Removal Power". What the heck is that? Rock sized dirt? 5 micron dirt?

Yet Fram will still get grief over the < sign no doubt.
crazy2.gif

^^^ Thanks for the link ... I figured it had to be full synthetic with the 15K rating and mesh backing.

Time will tell if the new Purolater Boss is better then the Fram Ultra..The word is out and a ton of people Don't trust filters that tear.. They have a lot of proving to do and of course their price will be a big issue also.. It's not 1980 anymore today word travels faster then ever and one tear in one filter is all it takes.
I will be cutting one of the new filters open and i may try one or two of them after listening to everyone in the auto world and on Bitog but not for at least a year and a half or so.. They have a lot of proving to do.
At the shop we switched to Wix for the most part and i don't plan on changing back so fast.

Well... what are you waiting for? 14610 Please...

None of them in yet

14476 ?

11155005_906831929398199_2940084107556321400_o.jpg

Only 14459

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back