New Mobil 1 EP High Mileage variant

Status
Not open for further replies.
No trip to Walmart is complete without peeking at the oil shelf. I notice they had a shiny, new Mobil 1 EP High Mileage. Any thoughts or reservations on this?

I have a 2011 Tundra with 160K and a 2005 Acura TL with 215k that I have been using the same 0w20 M1 EP (so I can minimize leftover waste and they have both been running well). The HM intrigues me though. I'm going to buy some with the Mobil 1 rebate, but it may be a while before I can report back.

I've been trying to avoid high mileage oils on my Chev 6.0 with 150,000 miles. It doesn't leak and it doesn't consume oil. On the first signs of leaking I intend to go to M1 High Mileage or EP High Mileage. I have no idea but if the high mileage swells the seals, I figure I'll wait as long as I can before I make them swell. Does that make any sense?

Interesting thought - certainly the type of potential drawback I'm looking for. It brings up the question, once you go HM, can you go back?

Originally Posted By: ItsMeHank
Interesting thought - certainly the type of potential drawback I'm looking for. It brings up the question, once you go HM, can you go back?

In short, yes

I'd like to a video showing the before and after effect after soaking some seal material in hot HM oil, (many cycles to emulate normal driving), then removing the seal and soaking it in hot non-HM oil and looking to see what effect it has on the seal.

I would think that a worn seal, soaked in HM would expand to stop the leak, but then would eventually wear out again at some point, and at that point would have to be replaced if you want to continue leak free.

Sorry for diverting from the original question of Mobil 1 EP High Mileage.
32.gif
Anyone have experience with it?

Last edited:
On a very basic level, *I would assume* that the seal conditioner softens the seal more than expanding. An aged seal seems like hardening and becoming brittle would be what the conditioner would try to remedy. I don't see why this would require the continuation of the softening. Again, these are just my assumptions.

I am going to consider the Mobil 1 EP HM on my next purchase and I have no concerns of using any HM oil and converting back to Non-HM oil as I have done it several times depending on sales over the past couple of years. From my understanding HM oil does note do anything to swell the seals but has conditioners to help make them last longer and do the job they were meant to do. I have no clue what is the additive that is used or how its interaction with the gaskets and seals creates its HM performance.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I'd like to a video showing the before and after effect after soaking some seal material in hot HM oil, (many cycles to emulate normal driving), then removing the seal and soaking it in hot non-HM oil and looking to see what effect it has on the seal.

I would think that a worn seal, soaked in HM would expand to stop the leak, but then would eventually wear out again at some point, and at that point would have to be replaced if you want to continue leak free.

Sorry for diverting from the original question of Mobil 1 EP High Mileage.
32.gif
Anyone have experience with it?

I used some last year I picked up on Rollback for $22 something it hasn't been that cheap since so I haven't used it again. It wasn't bad but it was nothing special. Mostly you're paying dollars more for a different label and few cents worth of additives not enough to pay more for.

The Extended Performance HM cost the same as the regular Extended Performance. I know that the REGULAR M1 HM is typically a little more than the Reg M1. FYI, the mobil 1 rebate is back and walmart is an acceptable vendor. Very easy rebate - this time they added an electronic check that's supposed to be faster and by email.

On a very basic level, *I would assume* that the seal conditioner softens the seal more than expanding. An aged seal seems like hardening and becoming brittle would be what the conditioner would try to remedy. I don't see why this would require the continuation of the softening. Again, these are just my assumptions.

Seal Conditioning (not talking about Gaskets) is the operation of two major things:
Seal cleaning,
Seal swell (Seal elastomer molecular replacement).

I seriously doubt one would ever find hardened seals with today's lubricants, and if you did, that would be the last of your worries.

Last edited:
I've been trying to avoid high mileage oils on my Chev 6.0 with 150,000 miles. It doesn't leak and it doesn't consume oil. On the first signs of leaking I intend to go to M1 High Mileage or EP High Mileage. I have no idea but if the high mileage swells the seals, I figure I'll wait as long as I can before I make them swell. Does that make any sense?

My 6.0 runs same as yours. I use regular M1 or EP, but stay away from M1 HM (or any HM oil) until last resort. Stuart Goss video etched in my memory. He agrees with Molakule in regards to swelling. Says that swelling will wear out valve seals prematurely.

I've switched back and forth between M1 HM and "regular" M1 multiple times on my old Sienna and I'm not leaking oil even at nearly 400,000 miles. My experience is that it makes no difference, just as the manufacturers say. Same for the Accord and ECHO, just not as many miles.

The BMW leaks no matter what I use.

Here is what the Mobil 1 website said about their HM oil. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it does to seals.

Higher base oil viscosity to help reduce leaks and provide better high-temperature protection†

A boosted level of seal conditioner to protect engine seals because, over time, rubber seals can harden or shrink, resulting in oil leaks.

So there you have it. It's seal conditioner. OK, that says nothing except that it must keep hardening from happening and keep shrinking from happening. So if it keeps shrinking from happening is that the same as swelling it back to its original configuration? And what is this chemical. Is it similar with all the oils? Also, do we have VOA's of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 HM? We can confirm the viscosity differences.

Last edited:
No trip to Walmart is complete without peeking at the oil shelf.

That is so true I had to have a chuckle. Really brings the blood pressure down.

Last edited:
Here is what the Mobil 1 website said about their HM oil. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it does to seals.

Higher base oil viscosity to help reduce leaks and provide better high-temperature protection†

A boosted level of seal conditioner to protect engine seals because, over time, rubber seals can harden or shrink, resulting in oil leaks.

So there you have it. It's seal conditioner. OK, that says nothing except that it must keep hardening from happening and keep shrinking from happening. So if it keeps shrinking from happening is that the same as swelling it back to its original configuration? And what is this chemical. Is it similar with all the oils? Also, do we have VOA's of Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 HM? We can confirm the viscosity differences.

You may find this thread interesting; https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1744618

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back