New Miata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What strikes me about the Alfa FIAT 124 Spider is that the styling seems extremely dated compared with that new Miata.
28 grand sticker price and it's also only a 1.4L engine. Granted, it's turbo, but I'm sure it's not that powerful.

So, why don't you think that a 1.4 liter 4 cylinder engine that makes 160 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque isn't powerful?
The Miata 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine makes 155 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque, in comparison.

114 hp/L versus 77.5 hp/L
Sounds really powerful to me.

BC.

I'd take the N/A Mazda mill any day of the week over the complexity and reduced reliability of a small turbocharged engine. Uncork that 2.0 with a few aftermarket bolt-ons and it would be making significantly more, as well.

I read the Miata leans over like a tour bus in corners. No thanks. They always drove like Vintage MG and not like a Lotus or a TVR. Actually the first miata 1.6 was their best. Would like to drive a RX8 but a little too heavy and then - the vunkle trouble.

I feel Get a late 90's Bimmer M roadster, not Japanese fake news sports cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I read the Miata leans over like a tour bus in corners. No thanks. They always drove like Vintage MG and not like a Lotus or a TVR. Actually the first miata 1.6 was their best. Would like to drive a RX8 but a little too heavy and then - the vunkle trouble.

I'd rather a car with some roll that sticks. Compliance isn't necessary a bad thing.

Lotus and TVR handling - dangerous stuff for the average driver.

All the Miatas do lean a bit more than you would expect, but so do all the non M BMW's I've ever seen at autocross as well.
The Miatas are still quite quick around the cones though due their double a-arm suspension and with the proper suspension upgrades a Miata is very quick! The listing BMW's with the struts up front don't seem to work that well without stiffer springs.

The MX-5 suspension is designed to lean on the bump stops around corners. The design is quite innovative and performs amazingly well.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP

The MX-5 suspension is designed to lean on the bump stops around corners. The design is quite innovative and performs amazingly well.
Sorry No japanese dudette is re-writing my sports car book. If it's small and light it should have good roll stiffness - period.

I will say I shouldn't complain until I drive it instead of just "bench racing here - which I probably WONT. Not a big "Machuda" fan. IIRC I owned a 626 and a 1.8L Miata. Both junk. Bigtime. my buddy had a GLC after high school.

Tough car. The mid 80s Honda civic hatch was worlds better though.

Would like to drive a RX8 but a little too heavy and then - the vunkle trouble.

As an ex-owner of a 2011 RX-8 Sport, that I very much loved, I can concur with the fact that you have obviously never driven one if you think they are too heavy. The driving experience is quite lovely no matter if you're on the track, deep in the twistiest mountain roads, on the daily drive to and from work, highway cruising from Denver to Santa Fe and back, or even just running up the road to get groceries.

The only thing better than the driving dynamics was the looks of the car with its beautiful black paint with gold flake all through it.
I miss that car.

I do hope that one day in the near future, Mazda produces a new sports car that directly competes with my Cayman.
I would love to add it to the garage.

BC.

3000 lbs is too heavy even for a 2+2. They should have built it as 2 seater that was 2400 lbs. I'm sure it was a nice driver though.

I grew up with fat 2.5 tonne RWD cars inm the early 70's and then 1800lb light FWd cars with manual steering boxes in the mid 70's. I could drive either of them fast, but the Fiesta or Fiat 3P was way more fun.

Last edited:
3000 lbs is too heavy even for a 2+2. They should have built it as 2 seater that was 2400 lbs. I'm sure it was a nice driver though.

They already had a 2 seater that was ~2400 lbs.
It was called the MX-5.
Maybe you're heard of it?

I grew up with fat 2.5 tonne RWD cars in the early 70's and then 1800lb light FWd cars with manual steering boxes in the mid 70's.
I could drive either of them fast, but the Fiesta or Fiat 3P was way more fun.

So did I, what's your point?

Oh yeah, I just remembered...
You don't really like the Miata, or Mazda.

Have a nice day.

BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back