New Hurricane possibly forming (Lee)

Lee's fetch, has already pushed a modest size, long period groundswell to the whole east coast, and what arrived took ~ 2 days to get there, from when the storm's fetch was much smaller. The storm's inner core hurricane force max stated winds is not so important to swell generation, as the size of the fetch of 30+ mph winds, which was very small, but now, is huge.

The eyewall replacement cycles it has gone through have reduced maximum winds at the core, but extended the distance from center that hurricane and tropical force winds exert their influence on the sea state.

Also the storm will be moving atop this already excited sea state, making it easier to impart more energy into waves and swell, and the storm is only going to grow in size as it gains latitude.

Margot, to its east, is sending swell towards atlantic coast as well, and Lees winds will also have that to push against, and add energy to.

I'd expect significant beach erosion and coastal flooding far from where the enter of circulation ultimately lands.

Long period groundswell is relatively uncommon on east coast and the longer the period, the faster the swell moves, piling up water along the shoreline, compounded by onshore winds and the windswell generated locally atop the longperiod swell generated hundreds, thousands of miles away.

Locally, this will be similar to a Nor'easter, but noreasters basically move from land to the water and usually scoot quickly to the Canadian maritimes moving away from the coast.
As powerful as they can be, they are not moving at the coastline from a thousand miles away, spewing long period groundswells ahead of them like Sandy did, and as Lee is currently doing.

I recall driving througb salt water floods in Coastal NJ on a nice pleasant sunny day with 10 to 15mph onshores from the Haloween storm of '91.

That Swell was huge, out of control, terrifying, as an avid east coast surfer.

I took humbling beatings just trying to maKe it outside. Thought I had made it once, then a huge set reared up in front of me, broke top to bottom, and i just latched onto my board in death grip, and was doing underwater cartwheels for a good 20 seconds becore being allowed to breathe and aim back toward shore, defeated.

East coast surfers are frothing at the moment.
But only a few spots will handle this swell at its peak.

No seasoned coastal dwellers will be scoffing at the diminishing maximum wind speeds of Lee.
Its fetch is huge, and growing.

exactly, currently Lee is projected to degrade down to TS strength and forward motion will increase the farther north it goes.. it might be one of those things where the weather sucks for a couple hours if you are in the middle and its gone before you know it

We had this exact phenomenon happen with Ernesto in 2006.

Which was way, way stronger than forecast. Wind gusts over 65 mph and the fore the day before was maybe 35 mph. A lot of rain fall in a short period of time. 6 inches to 7.

Crazy rain and wind when I went to work at the gym that day at 1 pm. My boss decided to close the gym at 2 pm.

Well once the backside of Ernesto moved north and west of our area by 3pm… The skies became clear in like 15 minutes. Wind died down considerably. It was a beautiful afternoon.

Exactly what described here in your post.
A wild weather day there for sure.

latest 3 day track as of 5 pm 09132023 from the NHC
211221_3day_cone_with_line_and_wind.jpg

Lee's fetch, has already pushed a modest size, long period groundswell to the whole east coast, and what arrived took ~ 2 days to get there, from when the storm's fetch was much smaller. The storm's inner core hurricane force max stated winds is not so important to swell generation, as the size of the fetch of 30+ mph winds, which was very small, but now, is huge.

The eyewall replacement cycles it has gone through have reduced maximum winds at the core, but extended the distance from center that hurricane and tropical force winds exert their influence on the sea state.

Also the storm will be moving atop this already excited sea state, making it easier to impart more energy into waves and swell, and the storm is only going to grow in size as it gains latitude.

Margot, to its east, is sending swell towards atlantic coast as well, and Lees winds will also have that to push against, and add energy to.

I'd expect significant beach erosion and coastal flooding far from where the enter of circulation ultimately lands.

Long period groundswell is relatively uncommon on east coast and the longer the period, the faster the swell moves, piling up water along the shoreline, compounded by onshore winds and the windswell generated locally atop the longperiod swell generated hundreds, thousands of miles away.

Locally, this will be similar to a Nor'easter, but noreasters basically move from land to the water and usually scoot quickly to the Canadian maritimes moving away from the coast.
As powerful as they can be, they are not moving at the coastline from a thousand miles away, spewing long period groundswells ahead of them like Sandy did, and as Lee is currently doing.

I recall driving througb salt water floods in Coastal NJ on a nice pleasant sunny day with 10 to 15mph onshores from the Haloween storm of '91.

That Swell was huge, out of control, terrifying, as an avid east coast surfer.

I took humbling beatings just trying to maKe it outside. Thought I had made it once, then a huge set reared up in front of me, broke top to bottom, and i just latched onto my board in death grip, and was doing underwater cartwheels for a good 20 seconds becore being allowed to breathe and aim back toward shore, defeated.

East coast surfers are frothing at the moment.
But only a few spots will handle this swell at its peak.

No seasoned coastal dwellers will be scoffing at the diminishing maximum wind speeds of Lee.
Its fetch is huge, and growing.
On its current track if it stays that way, I don’t think you’ll see any significant damage along the East Coast, except possibly north of New Hampshire, where the storm will actually cross onto land
Even off the Long Island coast, the storm is moving too quickly to pile up water and needs more time then what is forecast.
With that said, we are at slightly elevated high tides right now due to the new moon

the beauty of this is while some of us have been following this for a week, its now on the National News, so they will start beating the WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE drum on a regular basis from now until landfall. ):

I've been following Lee for over a week on the local news. I've been debating all week whether or not to fill my 3 5gallon gas cans. I've got 12 more hrs or so to procrastinate. :cool:

I've been following Lee for over a week on the local news. I've been debating all week whether or not to fill my 3 5gallon gas cans. I've got 12 more hrs or so to procrastinate. :cool:
to be honest, if u r in MA ur probably in the clear.

Not much going on here over night through this morning; slight breeze, minor gust

0.07" of rain so far according to my neighbor's online rain gauge. I am about 20 miles from the coast at the MA-NH border

rain gauge 16SEP23.jpg

Not much going on here over night through this morning; slight breeze, minor gust

0.07" of rain so far according to my neighbor's online rain gauge. I am about 20 miles from the coast at the MA-NH border

View attachment 178745
I generally enjoy being on the fringes of a tropical cyclone... you can be outside, perfectly nice out one moment and a feeder band moves thru and you get a squall, and its gone and its nice out again. can occur multiple times ..

Back