New guy with a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I also dispute your claim of synthetic oils keeping sump temps down 10-20degF less than non-synthetic fluids. I have seen nothing to support that at all.

I dispute your claim that you are some authority to disput anyones claim and are only here as a troll or some other type of argumentative flamer. You have no factual scientific basis to claim additive packs accomplish anything or that your motorcycle (if you really have one which I doubt)"chews" oil more than mine does because you have no data to support that fiction. Basically you need to crawl back under your rock and wait for the next guy who owns a Harley to post something here because you are obviously one of those guys who dislikes Harley Davidson riders.
bop.gif

The HD that went over 417K miles, documented, with no overhauls was a 1987 Tour Glide, owned by Dave Willet of High Point, NC.

He now has around 250,000 miles on a TC88--but I don't know if he's done cam chain tensioner work or not. I would assume that he has. Don't know what oil he's using in the TC88, but it's probably the standard dino HD 20W50 I would think.

Dan

Quote:

The HD that went over 417K miles, documented, with no overhauls was a 1987 Tour Glide, owned by Dave Willet of High Point, NC.

He now has around 250,000 miles on a TC88--but I don't know if he's done cam chain tensioner work or not. I would assume that he has. Don't know what oil he's using in the TC88, but it's probably the standard dino HD 20W50 I would think.

Dan

I would think he would have gear driven cams at that mileage

Quote:

I dispute your claim that you are some authority to disput anyones claim and are only here as a troll or some other type of argumentative flamer. You have no factual scientific basis to claim additive packs accomplish anything or that your motorcycle (if you really have one which I doubt)"chews" oil more than mine does because you have no data to support that fiction. Basically you need to crawl back under your rock and wait for the next guy who owns a Harley to post something here because you are obviously one of those guys who dislikes Harley Davidson riders.
bop.gif

When things get ugly, it tends to make both parties look quite ignorant, so I won't respond with like ugliness, and save us by half...

First, I have already stated that it was unfair of me to place all the dealspeak mumbo jumbo and mythology on the backs of the harley guys, as this sort of ignornace exists in all motorsports.

My authority to form, and voice, an opinion are atributed to both my Mother giving birth to me, and that the birth was in a free society. I need no more authority.

An I am not here as a troll or flamer, as you so elequently put it. I am here because I am interested in truth. In particular, truth in lubrication and ICE's, as well as industrial issues.

Maybe we can volley with something of substance now?

You made this claim in another thread:
Quote:

I get a 10-20*F heat reduction from using synthetic MC oil in my air cooled Harley. This is a well published fact in air cooled engines. That is really the only reason I use synthetic.

You don't seem to be able to point to any of these "well published facts"

Quote:

My only requirement is a 20w50 synthetic because I have an air cooled engine and it's a TC88 which uses oil jets to cool the piston skirts so dino 20w50's shear pretty quick and the synthetics give you a 10-20 degree heat reduction on average.

Again, I disputed the fact that synthetic basestock is responsible for lowering operating temps.
And then you state the following:
Quote:

You have no factual scientific basis to claim additive packs accomplish anything

I think there are stacks and stacks of data that will back up the importance of the additive package in ANY oil.
You have ventured past the motorcycle forum here, yes?

Quote:

The motorcycle oils really have a more robust additive package that their auto counterparts. This really comes into play with air cooled engines.

Well, you have apparently been paying some attention...in that you recognize perhaps an additive package does indeed have something to do with the integrity of an oil.
However, your claim to a "motorcycle oil" having a more robust package than its PCMO counterpart is where the myth again started.

If you do your homework, you will find that the requirements for an oil to carry the JASO MA or MB certification, which I have to assume you are refering to when you talk about "motorcycle oils", is a very light test to pass. There are only a half dozen items that concern the integrity of the oil that are even pertinent. The rest of the certification consists of the frictional charectoristics on the wet clutch assembly.

SM and GF4 rated oils have to meet loads of testing criteria...far more than any "motorcycle" oil has to pass. Including bearing corrosion, ring end gap wear, cam lobe wear, valve train wear, piston skirt wear, sludge testing, and a whole host of other criteria that the "mc" oils simply do not have to undergo.
In fact a motorcycle specific JASO MA rated oil can be a 14 year old SG oil, as long as it passes the meager criteria for JASO T903:2006.
There is simply nothing to the testing that points to the JASO certified "motorcycle marketed" oils having more integrity than their PCMO or UEO counterparts sitting on most all shelves.

And to rear back an state that we must use a motorcycle specific oil because of it's superior integrity, or for any reason at all, besides arguably the frictional charectoristics it shows the clutch plates, is simply not true. Such a blanket statement cannot be made.

And as there is plenty of data to back up my position, and nearly nothing but anecdotes from those who have obviously not done their homework before deciding to provide recommendations, I have to catagorize such under-researched recommendations as dealerspeak mumbo jumbo, and track mythology. Other more colorful terms do come to mind though...
dunno.gif

Quote:

My authority to form, and voice, an opinion are atributed to both my Mother giving birth to me, and that the birth was in a free society. I need no more authority.

Wow....so all of this trash is your Mother's fault? Well I guess you have a point....
laugh.gif

"SM and GF4 rated oils have to meet loads of testing criteria...far more than any "motorcycle" oil has to pass. Including bearing corrosion, ring end gap wear, cam lobe wear, valve train wear, piston skirt wear, sludge testing, and a whole host of other criteria that the "mc" oils simply do not have to undergo.
In fact a motorcycle specific JASO MA rated oil can be a 14 year old SG oil, as long as it passes the meager criteria for JASO T903:2006.
There is simply nothing to the testing that points to the JASO certified "motorcycle marketed" oils having more integrity than their PCMO or UEO counterparts sitting on most all shelves"

So you read the API document for SM rated oils and did the copy/paste. Nice. But this jiberish really has nothing to do with anything other that EPA regs and CAFE standards and the amount of catalytic converter polution that oil additives contibute to the catalyst in a converter. The government wants one thing the OEM's want another so they do this whole consortium deal to develop some standards which don't apply to MC oils at all.

So you point is nonsense and completely irrelevant since MC oils can contain additives that automotive oils are no longer ALLOWED by law to contain. The 2 oils have nothing to do with each other except some guys wish to run inferior oil in their bike to save $10...go ahead. OR take the real world test and take a Harley Road King and fill it with 20w50 automotive dino oil and go out on a 90 degree day and drive it in parade mode for 3-4 hours. If the engine is still intact try it again with Amsoil 20w50 MCF or Mobil1Vtwin and see the difference. This aint rocket science dude.....the syn oil will run cooler
thumbsup.gif

First things first...
You seem to have a bit of trouble manipulating the simple controls of this message board, so I have my doubts that you can fully comprehend what I'm saying. But I will again give it my best shot...

Now, I can't figure out why you complimented my cut-n-paste, as I didn't paste anything.

No, this aint rocket science...but I have my doubts if you would be able to discern between propulsion physics and not.

Tell us just what these additives are that MC oils carry, yet are not allowed by law in an oil not marketed towards the MC niche?

I suggest you look at how some of the things you are posting are truely rediculous, before you start trashing another mans offerings.
You call my stuff "trash" and "rubbish", yet you are providing nothing but under-researched dealerspeak mumbo jumbo and grease monkey myths. And you can't back your offerings up with anything but hearsay.

I realise that there are folks like you who find it completely neccessary to provide folks with the mis-information you have indoctrinated yourself with...and perhaps it's in an attempt to band together a larger group of folks with no clues...I mean, heck, it's comman knowledge that misery loves company.
dunno.gif

Instead of this "wiz match", why don't you take the time to provide something of substance that would back up any of your claims. Start with the additives that the so called "Motorcycel Rated" oils contain that PCMO's or UEO's are not allowed by law to contain.

Wait...maybe we should first see what you mean when you talk about a MC rated oil. Could it be that any oil sitting on your Harley mechanics shelf with a chopper on the label is a MC rated oil? Do you really know what you are saying here?
I have my doubts as to your level of understanding on this issue, but who knows...maybe it's me that's all wet here.
(shrug)

Quote:

No, this aint rocket science...but I have my doubts if you would be able to discern between propulsion physics and not.

Now this is laughable...you a physicist? Just another internet "expert". What did you get an "A" in typing in high school like most of the other "experts" on this forum. I am certain all of the manufacturers of MC rated lubricants are shaking in their boots at the thought of the "quacks" like you on this forum who really believe they have discovered some mythical conspiracy to produce "fake" products to simply generate revenue. Jaybird...you must be the Bob Woodward of the oil industry...
laugh.gif
...dude you uncovered the "Enron" scandal of MC rated oils...
laugh.gif
are we going to see you on TV soon...maybe Fox News when you break the big story about how Exxon Mobil, Harley Davidson, and many other "Enron like" corporate thieves are ripping off the public?....
laugh.gif

Yeah I like the oil with the chopper & the nudie Hooters girl on the bottle........
laugh.gif

Go whack off dude........
crackmeup.gif

You guys need to knock it off NOW. First, last, and final warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back