New CooperCSUltra Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Rand
I go smell the tires everytime I leave sam's club... people think I'm odd
smile.gif

You must love going in Harbor Freight !

Originally Posted by quint
I had two sets of CS5 Ultras on my (totaled and gone) Mazda 3, and in most aspects they were great. Dry pavement, rain, snow, didnt matter. They drove great and traction in all conditions was excellent. But good grief, they went from quiet, to average, to *LOUD* in about a year's time. So bad I went back to the tire place three times, and twice to Mazda, to have them check the tires and suspension for issues. The first set cupped, and the tire place blamed the car, and Mazda blamed the tires. Neither one however could find anything mechanically wrong with the suspension. The tires "looked fine" and they balanced fine.. they just kept getting louder and louder. Second set, same thing, they started getting loud, although that set didnt cup. They just got loud. Really, really loud.

Right about the time I had the first set installed, my supervisor at work had CS5's installed on his Dodge Journey. I went to lunch with him the other day and they were still on it, about worn down to the wear markers. They werent noisy at all, and he had no complaints vibrations, noise, traction, or anything else about how they drove.

Maybe they just dont like certain cars.

I blame the Mazda 3.
We went through 4 sets of tires on an '06 Mazda3. The aggressive negative camber in the Mazda3 alignment spec is the culprit to causing the tires to become loud. Sounding as loud as bad wheel bearings.

Keep in mind that our car used winter tires so, the tire replacement was quite often due to the loudness of the tires on the car. Many part replacement and alignments were done to help eliminate the NOISE. But, it only slowed down the the frequency of the tires cupping and becoming LOUD.

The OE tires:
May(MAY) have become loud, IDK as we bought the car w/49500 miles and the next tire listed below(Dunlop Signatures) were already on the car and wearing/worn.

NEXT:
The Dunlop Signature were horribly loud when we bought the car.

NEXT:
The very quiet Hankook Optimo H727 became loud quickly in a few K's of miles.

NEXT:
The Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S + which remained as quiet as this car had seen, started to become loud as we were getting ready to sell the Mazda3 in 2018.

NEXT:
The General AltiMAX Arctic winter tires that we've had since 2013 became loud and are currently on the Civic below in my signature. They're loud on the Civic but, quickly getting better/quieter as miles pile on.

I have recently read a review on a new 2018 Mazda 3, where the owner was claiming that when they drove several hours home from the dealership from picking up the car brand new(apparently they bought the car from an out of town dealer), that the highway noise was so unbearable on the drive home and are already considering a replacement.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mazda3/comments/8z64l5/mazda_3_road_noise/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back