Cracked BFG KO2 after 2 years and 13k miles

One of my BFG KO2 cracked at sidewall and tread seam. It was very small 1/2” crack, I heard air hissing when parking the truck and the noise helped me find the leak with a flashlight. These are LR C tires, 2 years old and only 13k miles on them. Never abused or taken off road. Pavement only.

Americas tire prorated warranty applied and I got a new tire for $68, but I’m apprehensive about the other 3 tires lasting or leaving me stranded.

I really like these tires, they are much better than the Duratracs that were on previously.

Is this common?
IMG_5116.jpeg

Wow - still running my factory KO2’s - (Rubicon) no issues but will be watching closer going forward …

I have them on my truck with about 60-70k on them. Bought them in 2017. They have minor dry rot cracking, but nothing like this. (They need replaced, but it can wait until spring since I have snow tires that’ll go on in a month or so.)

I read somewhere they changed their rubber formulation. Can anyone confirm this?

I put 40,000 miles between 2 sets of Load Range Cs on my Raptors and the sidewalls still looked new. I think you got a bad one.

Got a set of 35s on the Gladiator that are 2yrs old and about 30k on them and they seem fine. It's a mass produced item and defects do occur unfortunately. If the date range is different on the other 3 I wouldn't be worried.

Wow, that's shocking. I've been running BFG KO2s since they came out like 10 years ago and never a problem. Has to be a defect of some kind

I didn’t check the date code of the one that failed. Load range C is perfect for my Canyon, I don’t want an E it’s too much tire for a mid size truck IMO.

There are negative reviews on the BFG website for cracked KO2s, although much worse than mine. It appears there were bad batches sold in 2021 and I may have gotten a tire or 4 from one of them.

The crack was on the triangle where the tread meets the sidewall.

Mine are still good at almost 30k miles, but my god are they useless in rain. I don’t know how BFGoodrich manages to make not only the KO2 but also the Advantage TA Sport great in everything except water.

I should give mine a thorough look over, I got mine in 2021, load range C as well.

I didn’t check the date code of the one that failed. Load range C is perfect for my Canyon, I don’t want an E it’s too much tire for a mid size truck IMO.

There are negative reviews on the BFG website for cracked KO2s, although much worse than mine. It appears there were bad batches sold in 2021 and I may have gotten a tire or 4 from one of them.

The crack was on the triangle where the tread meets the sidewall.
I have the load range e and honestly don't need it. They haven't failed so now I'm hesitant to change

I am having difficult part with: “never abused or taken off-road.”
So, what is the purpose of having this heavy, dynamically challenged tire on?

The are 6 ply LT truck tires, because they are on a truck.

If I was going off road, KO2 would not be my first choice. Some E rated LT tires that vibrate and are loud would be better. KO2 have excellent freeway manners and don’t vibrate. Good in dirt, sand and snow. Not good in mud, gravel or rocks.

The are 6 ply LT truck tires, because they are on a truck.

If I was going off road, KO2 would not be my first choice. Some E rated LT tires that vibrate and are loud would be better. KO2 have excellent freeway manners and don’t vibrate. Good in dirt, sand and snow. Not good in mud, gravel or rocks.
What truck? I mean there are various trucks. Does it have to be 6ply?
They have really bad wet performance, they are heavy (there are other truck tires), snow is OK, it is AT tire, it moves forward, not so good in handling or stopping etc. Any all-weather tire will be better, including Defender, Continental TerreinContact H/T etc.
I mean I get it if you need it, but it is made to be abused.

What truck? I mean there are various trucks. Does it have to be 6ply?
They have really bad wet performance, they are heavy (there are other truck tires), snow is OK, it is AT tire, it moves forward, not so good in handling or stopping etc. Any all-weather tire will be better, including Defender, Continental TerreinContact H/T etc.
I mean I get it if you need it, but it is made to be abused.

It is a Canyon 4x4 CCLB Duramax. It has Eibach coil overs, rear leaf kit for additional payload and other parts to correct suspension geometry.

KO2s are not heavy. These are the lightest LT tire in this size. A lighter tire would be an SL rated tire, not LT.

The LT has more to do with the load rating. I have tow mirrors and the towing package and I use the truck as a truck.

They also do not have “really bad wet performance” they are bad in mud, but rain is OK and snow is excellent.

It is a Canyon 4x4 CCLB Duramax. It has Eibach coil overs, rear leaf kit for additional payload and other parts to correct suspension geometry.

KO2s are not heavy. These are the lightest LT tire in this size. A lighter tire would be an SL rated tire, not LT.

The LT has more to do with the load rating. I have tow mirrors and the towing package and I use the truck as a truck.

They also do not have “really bad wet performance” they are bad in mud, but rain is OK and snow is excellent.
So do you tow or carry that additional payload, because you indicated they are not abused? If you need coil overs etc. for additional payload, well, that is a different story.

But, what they can do that Michelin Defender LTX cannot do? What load do you need?
Clearly, that is either a manufacturing issue or you damaged a tire somewhere not knowing.

I guess they must work in wet Sierra snow but they are horrid in dry powder. I really wanted to like them but between poor snow performance and jack of all trades, master of none performance in all other aspects, I can't justify trying them again. I put 20,000 or so miles on my 2000 Blazer and put close to 30,000 miles on a 2004 Chevy 2500HD truck with them, I just don't get the love for what I found out to be an average tire.

Back