How old is too old for tires?

I struggle with this. Most of my fun cars see maybe 2k/year if that and are always garaged. I typically use 7-8 years in service, but it sill galls me to see tires tossed w/ ~15k on them if that and usually less, but its safety and fun. The Yoko's on my Lotus got scary in the wet at 6 or so, but I haven't noticed much of a difference with the Contis, Michelins or Vredesteins, but the latter do seem to lose pressure quicker than the others. The old Rovers get 10 years, but I'm not exactly corner carving with them.

Cost for playing I guess, but still irritating.
About two years ago, I put on Craigslist some original '05 Corvette run flats that had less than 5k miles. Free with pickup. They drove like rocks. The DWS06 I put on were wonderful.

Anyway, that vehicle was eventually totaled before It even had 20k miles on it 😢

It depends how aggressive of a driver you are and not as much the situation. An aggressive daily driving can tear it down pretty quickly.

Since 2016 & 25k is about 3k per year, depends on the history it had, I would keep using it knowing my own driving style.

Back