New Castrol Edge Professional OE 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read that the VW dealers are switching over to this oil. They now use Castrol Edge with spt 5W-40 for their 502 Carefree Maintenance.

It looks like it has a UV dye in it.

Castrol OE

I'm bringing my GTI in for it's last free maintenance tomorrow. I will see if they use the new stuff.

Castrol5w40Large.jpg

I do not know. If it is Castrol i would go with 0W30. I think for the U.S. market they are making average oils. Now if it was European castrol, I would buy it ASAP!

I just returned from the dealer. They do use this new oil now. I wasn't planning to get a oil change. I went to the dealer to get the free brake fluid flush at the 30K service. They said they had to do the oil change for VW to pay them back for the warranty service. I has been doing my own oil changes for over ten years now.

Everything went smooth. I did notice the Tech used a filter wrench on the new filter.
33.gif
I will keep this oil in for a little bit. I will probably go back to Havoline 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
I just returned from the dealer. They do use this new oil now. I wasn't planning to get a oil change. I went to the dealer to get the free brake fluid flush at the 30K service. They said they had to do the oil change for VW to pay them back for the warranty service. I has been doing my own oil changes for over ten years now.

Everything went smooth. I did notice the Tech used a filter wrench on the new filter.
33.gif
I will keep this oil in for a little bit. I will probably go back to Havoline 5W-40.

That is why I am changing oil on my own!

Last edited:
I find it really interesting how this thread/announcement has received so little attention. Since becoming a part of this forum I've learned that; 1) contacting Castrol with customer support questions is replied with rudeness, 2) the Castrol PDS/MSDS are virutually worthless and, 3) the Q&A sponsored on this forum was a total failure and was answered by some talking head in marketing.

It seems that Castrol is all but invisible with knowledgeable end consumers - even given its prominent presence in the retail market place.

In some ways, they are an example how not to run a business. They have forgotten that the customer comes first. Yes, I know my signature says I use GC, but by no means am I married to the brand. There are two or three other brands I could easily switch to; Euro-spec Conoco, Motul, Euro-spec PU, and possibly Total.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
I find it really interesting how this thread/announcement has received so little attention. Since becoming a part of this forum I've learned that; 1) contacting Castrol with customer support questions is replied with rudeness, 2) the Castrol PDS/MSDS are virutually worthless and, 3) the Q&A sponsored on this forum was a total failure and was answered by some talking head in marketing.

It seems that Castrol is all but invisible with knowledgeable end consumers - even given its prominent presence in the retail market place.

In some ways, they are an example how not to run a business. They have forgotten that the customer comes first. Yes, I know my signature says I use GC, but by no means am I married to the brand. There are two or three other brands I could easily switch to; Euro-spec Conoco, Motul, Euro-spec PU, and possibly Total.

Scott

Since BP acquired Castrol, they only know one way: down!

Originally Posted By: edyvw

That is true, I never again bought Exxon products after Alaska. I partially forgave them when it became Exxon-Mobil but only because M1 0W-40 was one of the best. Still, I will not use Mobil gas to this day.

Scott

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town
Originally Posted By: edyvw

That is true, I never again bought Exxon products after Alaska. I partially forgave them when it became Exxon-Mobil but only because M1 0W-40 was one of the best. Still, I will not use Mobil gas to this day.

Scott

Well, here you go:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-28...government.html

When it comes to GC, I think it is quite remarkable oil for its time, however, other ctached up. I use today M1 0W40 for CC, it has more approvals then GC etc. Castrol behaves same as BP, because it is same company. They are selling top notch products in EU. However, in the U.S. they are I think trying to insult inteligence of the people. Castrol with their statements, MDS and PDS sheets is behaivg like: you know what, you are just too stupid, so we can do whatever. Their 5W40 Edge product is nothing else than shame for Castrol. When you compare that product to Motul 5W40, Pentosin 5W40, Total 5W40 etc, you can see what they think of average American driver. They can make it better, but they do not want to!
I live in AL, and after that oil spill I think I put BP gas twice in my car, only bcs there was no other gas station around.

^ edyvw:

Interesting link, however, people who were quoted in the story suggest that the ban is illegal. What [censored]! It's just another example how extremely large corporations will do whatever the *#@% they want.

It's too bad the consumer cannot organize themselves. A far-reaching boycott by the consumer of BP for their total negligence in the Gulf could totally destroy their American market. We would also need a way to find out how to %#@$ over Halliburton as well.

But, with respect to BP, the government wouldn't let the consumer boycott BP on a massive scale because of "national security", as the Bloomberg article suggests.

The American public - the World public - are nothing but pawns and sheep in this globalized world economy. And I'm as guilty as everyone. Too bad for all of us.

Scott

Originally Posted By: abycat
Usually uv dye is for leak detection.

As an owner of a VAG product, it would be very helpful to have the UV dye in the oil already. Because VAG can't find a supplier to make a decent gasket, I'm always chasing some type of oil leak from the valve covers, cam chain tensioners, or cam plugs.
lol.gif

Similar oil now stocked by most Ford dealers in the UK.

5w20 Castrol Magnatec Professional Full Synth for the new Ecoboost engines.

The new Focus has dropped the 1.6 petrol engine for a 1.0 Ecoboost, and the 1.0 is actually a little bit quicker off the mark as tested on Fifth Gear by BTCC racer Jason Plato.

I still regard Castrol products as one of the best on the market.

Interesting.

The Edge/Syntec 5w40 my dealer uses (as part of AudiCare) is not doing well after 5k in my Stasis-tuned S4. Hopefully this is more stout or else I'm going to just bring my own RLI or Motul 300V.

I see they now list HTHS as 3.5+ on the PDS, and that there's a 0w40 OE?
shocked.gif

Last edited:
dparm...I've never been a fan of the edge 5w40. Very non exciting formulation to me. I am anxious to see how this new OE 5w40 looks in a VOA and in use. I've already found it at an attractive price, so I am hoping it's a nice oil.

Though I think anything decent will work well in my VW inline 5.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back