New Beetle unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has always wanted a Beetle....I could be coaxed into this new model...the previous just looked to feminine to me. I agree, the new one looks a bit like an older Porsche.

I do like the look of this beetle, and I agree, the interior is great.

However, I've ALWAYS had a problem with the whole philosophy of the 'New Beetle' - the original beetle was the ultimate econo car, dirt cheap to own and drive.

Yet the 'New Beetle' was built as an 'upscale' fashion symbol car - not what a Beetle was EVER about. The New Beetle, from the start, should have been VW's entry-level model. Even the new Fiat 500 is staying true to it's roots - it's Chryco's new entry-level, fuel efficient car.

As I said, I do like the car, and always have, just hate it's positioning.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
However, I've ALWAYS had a problem with the whole philosophy of the 'New Beetle' - the original beetle was the ultimate econo car, dirt cheap to own and drive.

Yet the 'New Beetle' was built as an 'upscale' fashion symbol car - not what a Beetle was EVER about.

I think VW's strategy here is to go after the older clientele that grew up on or even once owned the original beetle. These individuals are now middle aged adults that just like to reminisce the past, but are affluent and don't mind spending money for something that kind of says "retro/hippie" and reminds them of their childhood, but also gives them all the modern creature comforts and luxuries.

My guess is people don't buy these cars for practical reasons. They buy them for fashion, as you said. They are "wants" not "needs". Kind of like buying an iPod to be able to display the Apple logo when a SanDisk MP3 player would do. If you want a cheap, practical VW, you buy the Polo... alas VW forgot to offer it to the US market... shame.

Originally Posted By: Burt
Much improved, but its still a chick's chick car.

Yeah, I'd maybe get one for the wife. I'm pretty much a truck or van guy. Can't sleep in it or haul with it, I don't need it.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Burt
Much improved, but its still a chick's chick car.

I have yet to see a guy drive a Bettle in Miami.

That's because Bettles were never meant to be driven...at least not on Earth.

Its not to bad looking. Don't think its going to be a big volume seller, or even do as well as a the 1999-2011 New Beetle did sales wise. Just a hunch Americans prefer sedans for some reason...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice car but it is not the basis of what a beetle should be...

Yeah, a Beetle should have an air-cooled engine in the rear.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
If you want a cheap, practical VW, you buy the Polo... alas VW forgot to offer it to the US market... shame.

Specifically VW of North America chose not to import it. Just like all the nice euro hatches and wagons (BMW?) that aren't brought over as they'll "cheapen" the brand as Americans equate hatchbacks with Yugos.

At least VW figured out we're in for a period of austerity and cheapened the larger sedans. Will be interesting to see if they keep their snob appeal in the next five years.
35.gif

The car looks very nice inside and out. I wish the instrument cluster were bigger and more comprehensive. I don't care for "extra" gauges that are placed outside the instrument cluster. I also don't care for having to scroll to digital displays to get info. Oil, water, battery, all should have their own permanent gauge or at least display. I also hope the gauge illumination isn't blue or purple, but amber, orange, or red instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back