New 340i xDrive w/ M Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing as you have owned it for almost a year now, would you care to provide some longer-term feedback? Any regrets? Any glaring issues? Would you buy it again if you could go back in time?

I didn’t realize this thread was old until QP’s post above. Belated congratulations on that car. She is a beauty. The orange peel thing is common with many manufacturers today. Water based paints? I don’t know.

I would also love to read a update on this car.

Funny, I was thinking of resurrecting this thread in a few weeks. Since you beat me to it...

I have mixed feelings about the car.

Here's the bad:

The car has been to the dealership several times to address, to me, absolutely unacceptable clicks/pops/creaks from various plastic interior pieces particularly as the interior is hot from sitting in sun and cools down (or when it's below freezing and warms up). These noises come from the dash trim, door panels, steering wheel trim, and center console. I often drive with the windows open and AC off, even when it's hot, just to mitigate this (turn the AC on and forget it as the temp. delta is so big the contraction happens more rapidly). The b!tch of it is I cannot drive the car any single time, ever, without one of these noises happening or me anticipating one, which detracts from the experience. Every time something clicks or pops it's like I'm being stuck with a needle.

I had to delete the Pandora app from my phone because whenever I get in the car it would open on my iPhone and I had to close it before accessing another function on the phone (including after getting out of the car). Randomly, the infotainment system would start on Pandora as well, although this was rare.

Additionally, the infotainment system has begun to randomly start on the menu screen instead of what it was on last time I drove the car (maybe 5 times it will start on the last-used function and the 6th time it will start on the menu screen despite not selecting it prior).

I've made peace with the orange peel. Not only am I used to it, talking with a body guy at the dealership put my mind at ease. He said it's normal (which I kind of knew but hearing it from him helped) and that the finish of my car was in good condition even for being new. Putting extra effort into keeping the finish clean and shiny actually makes it rather hard to notice. Some of you may have seen this recent thread (pics) where I tried out Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4506819/all/Best_Protection_&_Easiest_

Overall, the dealership experience has been good. They've treated me well and have even thrown in some merch. for my trouble.

Here's the good:

The powertrain is stellar. I continue to be impressed with the B58 engine and the ZF 8AT. The car is simply fast; however, you can unleash absolutely beastly acceleration if you time the throttle inputs right (I'm still learning how to consistently do that). The smoothness of the engine is very good and the sound is phenomenal, better than an M4's engine. BMW also did a very nice job at calibrating the drive modes. The default "comfort" mode is perfectly acceptable for most driving with soft shifts and plenty of power available at will. Sport mode is great fun. It adds very noticeable weight to the steering, faster throttle response, and firmer shifts. What's more is you can use the paddles for up-shifts you can get even more firmness out of the shifts and really bang the gear changes, it's utterly thrilling. Only problem is the car can be so fast there just isn't sufficient space or time to really exploit it, it's more power than anyone 'needs'.

The driving position (coupled with the responsiveness) is very good. It's like BMW built a nice car around the driver whereas Acura built a nice car for the driver to go inside.

iDrive, to me, is very intuitive and I like how it's laid out as well as the graphics. It's miles beyond what my Acura had.

The heads-up display is fantastic. I miss it when I get into a car without one.

It looks great to me: classy, sporty, and iconic at the same time. I'm proud to drive it and proud to be seen in it.

Overall:

I can't say today whether I'll be getting another BMW in 2 more years because I've got another ~730 days or ~1,460 times of getting in the car worrying about where the next random click (that has no business existing in a car this expensive) is coming from. With that said, I can't really say I regret it because it's a nice car to look at, drive, and I've been treated pretty well by the company/dealer.

PS I always use my turn signals but I definitely understand why BMW drivers zoom around, the cars inspire confidence.

Last edited:
I totally agree on the HUD. The Mazda has it and it’s one of the extras I really like from a convenience and safety point. Sorry to hear about the glitches. It sounds like the positive driving experience and comfort help to overlook the negatives.

Thanks for the update.

I can see how various creaks and rattles can be annoying and detract from new car ownership experience. I've learned to live with it in my 15-year-old car, but it would bug me, too, if I had to deal with it in a brand new one.

My main issue with this car, as superficial as it may come across, is that it's too common, at least around here. You see a 3-series on every corner, just about. For that kind of money, I'd prefer something more unique. On that note, I test drove a Jag XE 3.0 at around the same time I test drove a 340i, but while the Jag is more unique and I do love the body style, the driving dynamics and engine sound, and interior materials, fit and finish were not as good as the 340i, in my experience. So, all in all, more and more things are starting to fail on my old 530i, to the point where I think I will have to finally break down and replace it after this winter, and I still don't know what to replace it with.
smile.gif

Did you by any chance use ArmorAll plastic protectant, or equivalent? I think that's what starts the creaks on interior trim and it will last for years.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
Did you by any chance use ArmorAll plastic protectant, or equivalent? I think that's what starts the creaks on interior trim and it will last for years.

God no. I use nothing but a static duster and occasional wipe with a chamois.

Congrats on the car. Unfortunate that Acura/honda lost a good customer due to the service dept. I have only had to deal with service/corporate on a few occasions, and it has usually been quite a pain and not worth my time/effort.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
After lots of arguing with my service department about VCM vibrations and the quirky behavior of the 9 speed auto in the TLX, I gave up. Could I have gotten results from Acura? Most likely. Others have, but being an early adopter of the car my stress limit had already been reached before they started replacing transmissions in the 2015 models (and even now you still have to pass a burden of proof). My time is more valuable than that and I get very mad arguing things I know I'm right about with people who also know I'm right but argue anyway. This BMW is the first non Honda/Acura product of my life and its probably fair to say they didn't lose me on product, despite its issues, they lost me in the service department.

Sorry to hear about the Acura, but good choice on a replacement! There is a reason why half the techs here drive newer BMW (well, pre electric steering anyways) including myself.

As for the TLX, unfortunately, we have no real way to fix these cars. It is NOT the transmission. We replaced the transmissions on several and it made no difference. We have updated rear subframe bushings and engine mounts that hide the vibration better (I guess they released this update after you bought the new car) but there is zero action for us to get rid of the vibration completely. Personally, I think it is a natural harmonic vibration in the chassis. Not much can fix that short of bolting a 500 lb weight to the bottom of the car.

Last edited:
Owners were complaining about orange peel 20-25 years ago. I guess things haven't improved.

Squeaks and rattles drive me crazy as well. The ones that aren't common require some hands-on treatment.

While all the cars I drove at the Ultimate Drive still felt tight and rattle free (I'm sure they're not babied), the quality of the interior trim was somewhat disappointing, even on a 750.

The main thing that gives me pause with the current cars is how frighteningly complex they are. Not such a big deal to those whose lease is up, or trade them in regularly. But to own them, especially outside warranty, will probably require some commitment.

If/when that B58 develops VANOS issues, will it require dropping the engine? Can imagine there's not too much clearance near the firewall.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

If/when that B58 develops VANOS issues, will it require dropping the engine? Can imagine there's not too much clearance near the firewall.

UGH. Rear mounted VANOS was a pretty stupid idea on their part. Reminds me of the Audis that needed the engine removed to replace the timing chain.

Hopefully the VANOS doesn't have too many problems. I know on the N52 the only somewhat common VANOS issues deal with the solenoids. Usually cleaning them or replacing them fixes it, and they are pretty easy to access on the front of the engine.

To fix the Pandora issue you can go to your phone profile under My Vehicle and uncheck the "Apps" box.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
After lots of arguing with my service department about VCM vibrations and the quirky behavior of the 9 speed auto in the TLX, I gave up. Could I have gotten results from Acura? Most likely. Others have, but being an early adopter of the car my stress limit had already been reached before they started replacing transmissions in the 2015 models (and even now you still have to pass a burden of proof). My time is more valuable than that and I get very mad arguing things I know I'm right about with people who also know I'm right but argue anyway. This BMW is the first non Honda/Acura product of my life and its probably fair to say they didn't lose me on product, despite its issues, they lost me in the service department.

Sorry to hear about the Acura, but good choice on a replacement! There is a reason why half the techs here drive newer BMW (well, pre electric steering anyways) including myself.

As for the TLX, unfortunately, we have no real way to fix these cars. It is NOT the transmission. We replaced the transmissions on several and it made no difference. We have updated rear subframe bushings and engine mounts that hide the vibration better (I guess they released this update after you bought the new car) but there is zero action for us to get rid of the vibration completely. Personally, I think it is a natural harmonic vibration in the chassis. Not much can fix that short of bolting a 500 lb weight to the bottom of the car.

Trans issues and VCM vibrations are completely unrelated. Trans. was it's own thing, well-documented on Acurazine and even in mainstream automotive press outlets.
VCM vibrations are MUCH more prevalent on FWD models as opposed to AWD models. My understanding is that bearings and mounts on the rear output shaft help with the vibrations where the FWD model doesn't benefit from them and the active engine mounts don't seem to be enough in this application.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

UGH. Rear mounted VANOS was a pretty stupid idea on their part. Reminds me of the Audis that needed the engine removed to replace the timing chain.

Hopefully the VANOS doesn't have too many problems. I know on the N52 the only somewhat common VANOS issues deal with the solenoids. Usually cleaning them or replacing them fixes it, and they are pretty easy to access on the front of the engine.

It's a lease so I'm not worried about it impacting me. Coming from Honda/Acura I know for a fact serviceability is an up-front design consideration, for BMW the ends justify the means which is OK as long as the engineering is solid or you will only have the car for 36,000 miles.

It's a lease

Somehow I wrongly assumed you purchased it.

I usually purchase cars and keep them 10+ years. But it's been a very long time since I purchased one. It seems modern cars in general are so full of technology that keeping them 10+ years may prove to be rather expensive... But I guess it comes with the territory. One could purchase an appliance which should statistically prove more reliable and less costly to maintain out of warranty, but then one would be giving up the fun-to-drive factor.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's a lease

Somehow I wrongly assumed you purchased it.

I usually purchase cars and keep them 10+ years. But it's been a very long time since I purchased one. It seems modern cars in general are so full of technology that keeping them 10+ years may prove to be rather expensive... But I guess it comes with the territory. One could purchase an appliance which should statistically prove more reliable and less costly to maintain out of warranty, but then one would be giving up the fun-to-drive factor.

I think it really depends on the car and how the technology is integrated. My GF's 2006 E90 just passed 130k miles on it and it has needed a few things like the water pump, starter, and some gaskets. Besides that it has been one of the most reliable cars she has owned, which include a Subaru and a GM product. It also doesn't have iDrive or anything that would make it feel obsolete. The newer cars with integrated touch screens that control everything might seem outdated in a few years.

For what it's worth I also hang onto my cars for a decent amount of time.

My GF's 2006 E90 just passed 130k miles on it

Does it have the old NA M54 engine in it or the newer DI turbo?

Neither. It has an N52. 325i or 330i.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Neither. It has an N52. 325i or 330i.

Thanks, so no DI and no turbo - fewer things to go wrong.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Trans issues and VCM vibrations are completely unrelated. Trans. was it's own thing, well-documented on Acurazine and even in mainstream automotive press outlets.
VCM vibrations are MUCH more prevalent on FWD models as opposed to AWD models. My understanding is that bearings and mounts on the rear output shaft help with the vibrations where the FWD model doesn't benefit from them and the active engine mounts don't seem to be enough in this application.

Don't even get me started with trans issues. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back