New 340i xDrive w/ M Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife picked up a new BMW this summer and I agree with the OP's comments about the 8-speed transmission. It's magic. It's always in the right gear and it shifts quickly when needed. The past decade saw a raft of 6-speed automatics from all of the major manufacturers, and none of them shifted well - this 8-speed is delightful!

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Very nice! I'm afraid Acura lost you for the same reason many people ditch a vehicle or a brand -- service. Human-made products will work or not work, it's just a fact of life. How that dealership supports you is what matters. And it sounds like yours didn't; that's too bad.

Enjoy the Bimmer!

Thanks. Honda is making some outstanding stuff right now with the new Civic, all new CR-V, and Ridgeline not to mention you'll still be hard pressed to find better premium SUVs for the money than Acura makes. I will continue to recommend those products without hesitation. But for me it is time to try something new after my TLX experience. BTW as a brand enthusiast and "car guy" I've brought dozens of people into the fray for Honda over the years which is what makes this bittersweet.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Sorry its an AT, BMW is one of the few manufacturers who gear them properly to not be tiring in traffic.

Bummer on the orange peel. If that bad I wouldn't have taken the car. No way id want to have panels "repaired" (removing clear) or refinished, taking away the quality of the baked on OE finish.

Great car otherwise, congrats!

I'm not sorry at all. Read my OP about the ZF 8AT, it's outstanding and I have no desire for a manual in this car.

My delivery began in a parking garage at the dealership. By the time we were outside it was dusk. You're in a new place, excited, anxious to get out, you'll have to forgive me for not noticing until I got home. I'm not sure what I want to happen. Either BMW takes care of it without the dealership involved, we send it to someplace top-notch who I trust like Phil at Detailers Domain, or I address it myself at home.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jaj
My wife picked up a new BMW this summer and I agree with the OP's comments about the 8-speed transmission. It's magic. It's always in the right gear and it shifts quickly when needed. The past decade saw a raft of 6-speed automatics from all of the major manufacturers, and none of them shifted well - this 8-speed is delightful!

W#hen I took my M235i to the track I just put the transmission in Sport and the drivetrain/suspension in Sport+. I never touched the paddles; there were at most two places where the transmission didn't do what I would have done, but it was a very subtle difference.

It's nice to have a car that you can toggle from Geezer Mode to Blitzkrieg Mode by just pushing a button.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very nice. I would have chosen any color except black.

I really wanted Estoril Blue but I figured the attention that would go along with it might be too much. Black is a lot of work but it's both classy and sporty at the same time.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Very nice. I would have chosen any color except black.

I really wanted Estoril Blue but I figured the attention that would go along with it might be too much. Black is a lot of work but it's both classy and sporty at the same time.

I just Googled: BMW 340i Estoril blue. Wow!!!!
That color really pops in the sunlight.

Black for me is too difficult to keep clean.

That is a beautiful car... Congrats...

Personally I would not mess with the paint... Though there was a time in my life it would have, so I get it.

I'm not sorry at all. Read my OP about the ZF 8AT, it's outstanding and I have no desire for a manual in this car.

My delivery began in a parking garage at the dealership. By the time we were outside it was dusk. You're in a new place, excited, anxious to get out, you'll have to forgive me for not noticing until I got home. I'm not sure what I want to happen. Either BMW takes care of it without the dealership involved, we send it to someplace top-notch who I trust like Phil at Detailers Domain, or I address it myself at home.

I agree. The ZF 8AT is the best transmission I've ever experienced, automatic, manual, or otherwise. Manuals are dead. Long live the 8AT!

From someone who used to work at BMW, it is very likely that they will want to send the vehicle to a BMW approved paint center if they deem the paint finish is poor.

I would push for the car to be taken to Phil. Deatailer's Domain does top-notch work, and they will likely recommend a light wet sand if anything at all. Being black, I'd have them apply some Opticoat Pro regardless of what BMW decides.

Sorry its an AT, BMW is one of the few manufacturers who gear them properly to not be tiring in traffic.

Bummer on the orange peel. If that bad I wouldn't have taken the car. No way id want to have panels "repaired" (removing clear) or refinished, taking away the quality of the baked on OE finish.

Its your call. Not the transmission Id choose, especially in a BMW (which is why ive owned two MT BMWs), but its not my car and I wont be in the market for it used. Even if its some sort of revelation.

The issue with any "fixes" is that youre removing clear. The car is going to get dirty, chipped by rocks, even if you can avoid dents and scratches. Id wait ubtil there's some real other reason to correct the paint. Removing clear on a brand new car doesnt strike me as a good idea.

But again, its your car. Good luck.

Not the transmission Id choose, especially in a BMW (which is why ive owned two MT BMWs),

How is the clutch delay valve on your 1-series? On my 530i, the CDV was the work of the devil. I finally had it removed since it just made clutch engagement a real PITA. And I've heard it's really no better on newer models.

The problem for me personally is that a manual 340i is nowhere to be found on a dealer lot to test drive. And I'm not going to just order one blindly without ever having a chance to drive it first.

Its your call. Not the transmission Id choose, especially in a BMW (which is why ive owned two MT BMWs), but its not my car and I wont be in the market for it used. Even if its some sort of revelation.

The issue with any "fixes" is that youre removing clear. The car is going to get dirty, chipped by rocks, even if you can avoid dents and scratches. Id wait ubtil there's some real other reason to correct the paint. Removing clear on a brand new car doesnt strike me as a good idea.

But again, its your car. Good luck.

This is the dilemma. I can't walk up to the car without focusing on the texture of the clear but the main fix is removing some. The problem is on the sides of the car, hood, trunk, and bumpers are OK, it's the quarters and doors that are afflicted.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Not the transmission Id choose, especially in a BMW (which is why ive owned two MT BMWs),

How is the clutch delay valve on your 1-series? On my 530i, the CDV was the work of the devil. I finally had it removed since it just made clutch engagement a real PITA. And I've heard it's really no better on newer models.

The problem for me personally is that a manual 340i is nowhere to be found on a dealer lot to test drive. And I'm not going to just order one blindly without ever having a chance to drive it first.

That's the problem with wanting manuals, nowhere to be found. I went to a few lots to test manual Jeep Wranglers with a friend. The dealer goes "yeah, everybody wants those 2 door manuals", well then how come you only have 4 door automatics on your lots? I have a hard time believing that. He gave us the same spiel about how he could order one and have it be here in X amount of days. My buddy told him he won't order a vehicle he can't test first, and the sales guy walked away.
crazy.gif
They didn't even have any used manuals on the lot, which surprised me since the Wrangler is still a vehicle where many drivers prefer manual. You'd think they would at least have a used manual for people to test drive and decide if they want to order a new model in manual.

I spent a bunch of time looking. I found that in a populous area like the northeast, a manual or two could almost always be found in a 100 mile search radius on cars.com. But because of most people's preference (not to mention how good this 8AT is) most dealers don't have any that aren't xDrive/8AT.

I love the black interior, cream or tan is too light and gets dirty easy.

While I agree that interior is very nice, wouldn't a tan/cream interior actually hide the dirt?
coffee2.gif

im actually impressed that BMW hasn't decided to go to an electric ebrake like so many other manufacturers have.

I took the all weather mats out when I washed the car this weekend. They do hold the dirt, as we see here, but they're hard and don't that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back