Never using a 40wt oil again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by yowps3
A pour point of -54c
Flash point of 232c
Ultra high VI of 186
NOACK 7%
Density kg/L 0.846 the lower the more true synthetic it is.

And you want to dispute the PAO content of it? If anything this oil would rank amongst the best Grp IV / Grp V synthetic oil.

Show me a "synthetic" castrol or any other mainstream brand that can compare to the above characteristic of Kixx PAO1

Besides GS is a big respectable company.

Exactly!

Kixx PAO 1 is PAO-based with about 5 - 7% ester (POE) according to MSDS and FTIR.

Its manufacturer GS Caltex is co-owned by Chevron and the oldest oil company in Korea.

Kixx PAO 1 0W-30 is fuel-efficient C2, similar to dexos1. Kixx PAO 1 0W-40 is C3, similar to dexos2.

The marketing brochure claims that it does far better than the ACEA and Euro-OEM limits in wear, oxidation, etc.

I think it's OK to run a Korean oil in a Korean (Hyundai/Kia) engine that calls for SN/SM, A5/B5, or C2.
wink.gif

Of course, the engine will feel more sluggish with thicker oil. Hyundai/Kia recommends 5W-30 or thicker; so, 5W-30 GF-5/dexos1, A5/B5, or C2 is the best for fuel economy and low-throttle response. dexos1 has TGDI LSPI protection as well.

Respectable companies get actual approvals on their oils and use that as their selling point, not this:

I'd be far more inclined to have that pretty gal talk lubes, rather than listen to that poofter Ronaldo go on about Castrol.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
A pour point of -54c
Flash point of 232c
Ultra high VI of 186
NOACK 7%
Density kg/L 0.846 the lower the more true synthetic it is.

And you want to dispute the PAO content of it? If anything this oil would rank amongst the best Grp IV / Grp V synthetic oil.

Show me a "synthetic" castrol or any other mainstream brand that can compare to the above characteristic of Kixx PAO1

Exactly!

Kixx PAO 1 is PAO-based with about 5 - 7% ester (POE) according to MSDS and FTIR.

Its manufacturer GS Caltex is co-owned by Chevron and the oldest oil company in Korea.

Kixx PAO 1 0W-30 is fuel-efficient C2, similar to dexos1. Kixx PAO 1 0W-40 is C3, similar to dexos2.

The marketing brochure claims that it does far better than the ACEA and Euro-OEM limits in wear, oxidation, etc.

I think it's OK to run a Korean oil in a Korean (Hyundai/Kia) engine that calls for SN/SM, A5/B5, or C2.
wink.gif

Of course, the engine will feel more sluggish with thicker oil. Hyundai/Kia recommends 5W-30 or thicker; so, 5W-30 GF-5/dexos1, A5/B5, or C2 is the best for fuel economy and low-throttle response. dexos1 has TGDI LSPI protection as well.
You understand very well Gokhan.

When I first made purchase I wasn't expecting much, but as soon as I saw the very pale liquid and the very faint almost non existent scent, I knew this oil was different to the available mainstream. After almost 5000 miles the oil was still pale.

And yeah Korean oil and Korean car haha

Originally Posted by kschachn
Respectable companies get actual approvals on their oils and use that as their selling point, not this:

It's a different culture in Korea and we should put this in perspective.

Remember how it went when Samsung decided to launch Galaxy S4 in the US instead of Korea?

https://www.theverge.com/2013/3/18/...he-scenes-of-the-sexist-galaxy-s4-launch

Well I guess I'll have to take your word for it that in Korea that video is an acceptable substitute for an actual manufacturer approval.

Lol. No, the video is for marketing. I didn't realize what you were asking.

Here is their product catalogue with all the data and approvals. They make some very good oils, including their flagship PAO/ester-based PAO 1:

Kixx product catalogue 2019/03

Here is their product catalogue with all the data and approvals. They make some very good oils, including their flagship PAO/ester-based PAO 1:

I was just yanking your chain. But having said that, the catalog you posted is a bit confusing. For example the "flagship PAO/ester-based PAO 1" has wording that leads you to believe it is MB 229.3 approved but it does not appear on the official Mercedes Benz approved oil list nor is it worded properly for an actual MB approval. On the other hand the Kixx G1 A3/B4 SAE 5W-30 does appear on the MB list but again Kixx does not word the approval as MB instructs it to be done. What that ends up doing is obfuscating which ones have actual approval and which ones don't, which is typical for companies that wish to make it unclear. I find that an unethical practice but not uncommon.

They all do appear to be API licensed as indicated. I wish there was a way to determine ACEA compliance, the ACEA does encourage oil suppliers to register their compliant products but that list isn't published. Maybe it wouldn't matter.

Is that a rebate slip? That's all it needs on BITOG.
lol.gif

I was just yanking your chain. But having said that, the catalog you posted is a bit confusing. For example the "flagship PAO/ester-based PAO 1" has wording that leads you to believe it is MB 229.3 approved but it does not appear on the official Mercedes Benz approved oil list nor is it worded properly for an actual MB approval. On the other hand the Kixx G1 A3/B4 SAE 5W-30 does appear on the MB list but again Kixx does not word the approval as MB instructs it to be done. What that ends up doing is obfuscating which ones have actual approval and which ones don't, which is typical for companies that wish to make it unclear. I find that an unethical practice but not uncommon.

They all do appear to be API licensed as indicated. I wish there was a way to determine ACEA compliance, the ACEA does encourage oil suppliers to register their compliant products but that list isn't published. Maybe it wouldn't matter.

Yeah, when they say "approved," it means it's actually tested/approved/certified by the OEM, such as the Kixx G1 A3/B4, which says MB 229.3 approved and appears on https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.3_en.html.

When they say "recommended," it means it's not actually tested/approved/certified by the OEM but they have a good reason to believe that the oil would be certified for the recommended OEM specs if it were tested, having used an appropriate additive package and a better-than-the-minimal-quality base oil for these specs.

It appears that they have approvals for only the OEM specs that fall under ACEA A3/B4 -- MB229.3, VW 502.00, and VW 505.00 to be specific. My guess is that they didn't invest in the tests required by the other OEM specs for economic reasons.

Regarding ACEA, it's somewhat a moot issue because most European OEMs require their own approvals in addition to the ACEA certification.

The OP doesn't require any OEM approvals for his Korean car and chances are that some flavor of the Korean oil Kixx may be the factory fill for it to begin with.
wink.gif

The conclusion is that many in this forum are looking for the true synthetic that is becoming increasingly difficult to find. Especially here in Australia where we very seldom get the top tier true synthetic lubs like Motul etc

Even the Castrol EDGE 0w40 here is ordinary Grp3 brewed in Malaysia

Kixx is not sold at any departments stores and it can only be obtained from a single distributor here in Sydney. I'm just waiting for them to import the 0w30 and I'll make the switch.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
When they say "recommended," it means it's not actually tested/approved/certified by the OEM but they have a good reason to believe that the oil would be certified for the recommended OEM specs if it were tested, having used an appropriate additive package and a better-than-the-minimal-quality base oil for these specs.

It appears that they have approvals for only the OEM specs that fall under ACEA A3/B4 -- MB229.3, VW 502.00, and VW 505.00 to be specific. My guess is that they didn't invest in the tests required by the other OEM specs for economic reasons.

I really don't buy the "economic reasons" for a large oil blender like Kixx. In these instances (and for most of them to be honest) I take the non-certification to mean that it does not meet the requirements for whatever reason. Please tell me that their basis for saying it is recommended is not because " they have a good reason to believe that the oil would be certified for the recommended OEM specs if it were tested" since that means they really do not know.

I really don't buy the "economic reasons" for a large oil blender like Kixx. In these instances (and for most of them to be honest) I take the non-certification to mean that it does not meet the requirements for whatever reason. Please tell me that their basis for saying it is recommended is not because " they have a good reason to believe that the oil would be certified for the recommended OEM specs if it were tested" since that means they really do not know.

It would probably take around $10 million to have an oil tested and certified. Why bother to spend that much money for an oil that is intended mostly for the Korean market and not the European markets. The oil would end up costing twice as much and not being able to compete in Korea.

Making an oil that meets a certification is almost a trivial process these days. You buy the tested and approved add pack for the corresponding certification (say VW 504.00) from an additive company and mix it with the base oil and VII. There is really not much to it. The only expensive part is the engine tests.

I wonder why Europeans recommend 40 wts while American and Japanese are recommending thinner and thinner grades.
Especially on today's motors that are ultra hard on oil

I wonder why Europeans recommend 40 wts while American and Japanese are recommending thinner and thinner grades.

What does your tachometer read during normal driving?

Most modern engines do not work hard at all. They usually run between 1500 and 2500 rpm for the next effiviency. It's very likely yours is only turning around 2000rpm on the expressway.

Originally Posted by PimTac

What does your tachometer read during normal driving?

Most modern engines do not work hard at all. They usually run between 1500 and 2500 rpm for the next effiviency. It's very likely yours is only turning around 2000rpm on the expressway.

My engine is a TGDI and is between 2000-3000 rpm most of the time. However, this engine is extremely hard on oil, shearing a thick 30 weight to a thin 20 grade in a few thousand miles... Low rpms does not mean it's easy on oil imo.

Originally Posted by jbutch
My engine is a TGDI and is between 2000-3000 rpm most of the time. However, this engine is extremely hard on oil, shearing a thick 30 weight to a thin 20 grade in a few thousand miles... Low rpms does not mean it's easy on oil imo.

How do you know if it's actual mechanical shear or fuel dilution instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back