Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

I agree I’ve been bored with new cars for awhile. I think it’s because I work on them. There is just no fun in them anymore. Like when I get in a car I want to turn a key I don’t want to push a button. I also want minimal power features. I’ll give an example the 4Runner it’s been the same for years as far as interior goes at least, it’s boring and hard to work on. They are due for a major change for 2024 finally except they are giving it the ugly Tundra front end. Hopefully they will go back to spin on filters too. I honestly don’t see how they still sell. I get so bored with all these new cars and features. To me a fun car is a base model, minimal add ons and a nice color like blue or red or anything except silver and white because those are boring. And let’s not forget a real key preferably without a chip so it can be copied anywhere but as long as it’s a real key we are fine. I’m sure all of us have a different view on what a fun car is but that’s ok. Everyone knows I’m old school anyway haha. My ideal car if new would be a 4 cylinder Tacoma 4WD in blue or black. It’s got the best of both worlds spin on filters and automatic or manual transmission for a Tacoma a automatic is better the manual takes some getting used too and is very touchy, real keys and easy to work on but underpowered slightly but still more reliable than the 3.5 in my opinion. And some of them have manual windows and locks from what I’ve seen. One thing I do like as far as features is a back up camera which is required on all vehicles now anyway. It makes things easier for people like me who are scared of driving.
Aftermarket backup cameras are easy these days - replacement stereo or mirrors for the screen … And the little cube camera can be placed where it works best for each vehicle/use …

Aftermarket backup cameras are easy these days - replacement stereo or mirrors for the screen … And the little cube camera can be placed where it works best for each vehicle/use …
True. But I don’t want to own a vehicle that isn’t stock 100% lol.

Oh boy, I'm going BITOG again, but yes this is why my driveway looks like it does. I was honestly considering a new Colorado, but the techs said they don't like them, so I said nevermind. I'm going to have to deplete the availability of old Ford trucks, but they have gone up in value. Wonder why?

I’ll be sticking with my truck. RWD with part time 4x4 because I just can’t stand FWD, no Nannie’s to yell at me (just my preference, do kinda miss parking sensors front and rear though), and a good ol’ V8.

If I had to replace it, I’d be hard pressed to find something…. My truck stickered for $43k, they’re now $5,000 more for the same exact truck. Probably pick up a used V8 300 or Charger. Or pick up a RX-8 with a blown engine and swap a LFX or LS into it.
Only $5,000.00 more? A middle of the trim truck has gone up $15,000.00 in the last three years. The sticker on a nicely equipped F150 (XLT-Crew) is pushing (or at) $60,000.00

Replacing a Radio integrated with Sync three in a Ford is virtually impossible-or more expensive than anybody is going to want to spend on here.

I agree I’ve been bored with new cars for awhile. I think it’s because I work on them. There is just no fun in them anymore. Like when I get in a car I want to turn a key I don’t want to push a button. I also want minimal power features. I’ll give an example the 4Runner it’s been the same for years as far as interior goes at least, it’s boring and hard to work on. They are due for a major change for 2024 finally except they are giving it the ugly Tundra front end. Hopefully they will go back to spin on filters too. I honestly don’t see how they still sell. I get so bored with all these new cars and features. To me a fun car is a base model, minimal add ons and a nice color like blue or red or anything except silver and white because those are boring. And let’s not forget a real key preferably without a chip so it can be copied anywhere but as long as it’s a real key we are fine. I’m sure all of us have a different view on what a fun car is but that’s ok. Everyone knows I’m old school anyway haha. My ideal car if new would be a 4 cylinder Tacoma 4WD in blue or black. It’s got the best of both worlds spin on filters and automatic or manual transmission for a Tacoma a automatic is better the manual takes some getting used too and is very touchy, real keys and easy to work on but underpowered slightly but still more reliable than the 3.5 in my opinion. And some of them have manual windows and locks from what I’ve seen. One thing I do like as far as features is a back up camera which is required on all vehicles now anyway. It makes things easier for people like me who are scared of driving.
Yeah I was looking at the 4 cylinder Tacoma and I do agree.
But Toyota gets away with many things others can't..
They let things age a bit too much though. I found my keys for my 82 Datsun Diesel today and my 92 legend... Do you collect keys?

Last edited:
Without reading all of the posts here, I'm with you CharBaby. I'm a minimalist and not a performance enthusiast. My life does not revolve around material possessions. I satisfy my testosterone needs with workplace pickup trucks and big ag. equipment, so I don't need/want those attributes in my personal life. I DO get enjoyment maintaining the basic mechanical and appearance factors of my vehicle, but not to the OCD level some have here. With rental cars, I kind of like some of the safety features (blindspot sensor, etc.), but most of the very expensive-to-replace technology interests me little.

I guess I am moderately interested in the smaller pick up trucks for our next vehicle, maybe even the Ford Maverick. Beyond that, there is nothing really calling out to me as a basic utilitarian vehicle. Very sad.

The last new car I bought that excited me was in 07. Three purchases since then and the level of excitement has gone lower each time.

Yeah I was looking at the 4 cylinder Tacoma and I do agree.
But Toyota gets away with many things others can't..
They let things age a bit too much though. I found my keys for my 82 Datsun Diesel today and my 92 legend... Do you collect keys?
Yes I do collect keys. Especially car keys. And yes the 2.7 liter Tacoma is solid. Toyota anymore relies strictly on brand loyalty. I would not put them as a top car maker anymore. I maybe a little bias since I’m a mechanic but it’s true they have really went downhill and are not great about warranty either.

Yes I do collect keys. Especially car keys. And yes the 2.7 liter Tacoma is solid. Toyota anymore relies strictly on brand loyalty. I would not put them as a top car maker anymore. I maybe a little bias since I’m a mechanic but it’s true they have really went downhill and are not great about warranty either.
Agreed once they outsourced labor and parts away from Japan stuff happens. I dislike the oil filter scam they pull on the V6

they should bring back cars like the Buick LeSabre
simple pushrod 3800 v6
wide soft seats
small 15 inch rims with thick squishy rubber circles on them
ice cold gm a/c
what's not to love? sure it's a little thirsty and you're not gonna use it for track days but it's a great highway cruiser

simple pushrod 3800 v6
wide soft seats
ice cold gm a/c
what's not to love? sure it's a little thirsty and you're not gonna use it for track days but it's a great highway cruiser
This being BITOG you should have aimed for the obvious Crown Vic.

simple pushrod 3800 v6
wide soft seats
ice cold gm a/c
Just about any newer half ton truck handles better, and can get 25mpg on the highway.

simple pushrod 3800 v6
wide soft seats
ice cold gm a/c
And it would sell worse than a 2 door sports car.

simple pushrod 3800 v6
wide soft seats
ice cold gm a/c
My mother-in-law had a 2003. Hard to beat for a smooth, quiet highway ride and great passing power, but don't ask one to take a corner with any kind of zest. Those cushy tires roll over and howl quite easily. But when 5 people wanted to ride to dinner, that's the car we headed for.

Back