Never before have I been so uninspired/disinterested...

Any light entering the eye constricts the pupil and somewhat "resets" the eye(s) adaptation period to regain full night vision (roughly 30 minutes). It doesn't matter how a light source enters the eye (reflected or direct), they have the same outcome of degrading your vision and reducing the sensitivity to light.
The point is that if you're driving with your headlights on, even in the middle of nowhere, in pitch black and no other cars around you, you do not have any night vision.
Why are people even mentioning this is strange.

The entire subject of this thread is disingenuous!
I WANT long production cycles, and LESS change. Today even a 7 year refresh cycle is ridiculously short.
Look at the Nissan Frontier, 2004 to 2022, and even AFTER the 2023 redesign, it still uses the SAME FRAME. Now that is what I'm talking about! Keep with what works and is proven.
So the perfect boring combo is a 2021 Nissan Frontier Pro4x and a Toyota Camry XLE. SOLID, BORING, RELIABLE.

Take your 18's steering wheel with you if you upgrade 😂 that's my biggest beef with the MK8 is the horrendous haptic buttons. I hope they do an MK8 GLI but I doubt they will. If it does drop, almost guaranteed the DSG will be the only option like it is on the GTI and R.
I think that’s true. They haven’t said anything about the GLI but I’m sure this is the last year of it. Even though it’s the last for the R they only made a special edition for the GTI.

That old 05 Yukon now has 216K on it. Only additional repairs were a water pump and lower hose. The passenger side window switches have stopped working again. Solder joint was all it was last time. Runs great and is getting 17.5 mpg in mixed driving.

Today they all look the same, ugly and boring...
A good example of what's wrong with today's vehicles is what the current Civic has morphed into. The gen 8 and 9 models were nice looking cars. The current hatchback model has got to be one the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. Whomever was high enough up in the pecking order to allow that body style to go into production needs to find a new job...

A good example of what's wrong with today's vehicles is what the current Civic has morphed into. The gen 8 and 9 models were nice looking cars. The current hatchback model has got to be one the ugliest vehicles I've ever seen. Whomever was high enough up in the pecking order to allow that body style to go into production needs to find a new job...
Gotta disagree somewhat, I had a 10 gen 2019 Touring Coupe, while I enjoyed the car, found the styling kinda garish with too many non-functional grills and styling frills. The current Sedan (sadly no more coupes) is more Accord-like, simpler and a bit more refined looking. I agree the current hatchback front end is messy looking. Really don't understand the black wheel thing and wish Honda had gone with 17" rims and tires with a bit more sidewall for better ride on the Touring. I did truly love my 8th & 9th gen EX-L coupes.

One reason I think there is less value in today's new cars. The high prices take some of the enjoyment out of the shopping. Also people on here know that every vehicle is going to have some issue to deal with.

There is nothing for new vehicles that makes me think wow, except for a few performance cars, I'll never be able to afford. A high end Lambo or Porsche sure, but it isn't something that I will actually buy.

But, a remake of the Honda CRX kept super simple, and priced low, then i would become a buyer. A not turbo 4 cylinder engine, 5 speed manual, heat, A/C, FM radio, two comfortable seats, and nothing else. I can crank windows down, unlock the door with a key, price it at $9,000 Canadian.
images(1897).jpg

Another vehicle I want is something old school in a truck.
A small V8, 4x4, 5 speed manual, FM radio, bench seat that seats 3 wide, heater, A/C, and that's all it needs.
Price it about $16,000 Canadian, my friends, and I will buy them.

images(1899).jpg
images(1898).jpg

Gotta disagree somewhat, I had a 10 gen 2019 Touring Coupe, while I enjoyed the car, found the styling kinda garish with too many non-functional grills and styling frills. The current Sedan (sadly no more coupes) is more Accord-like, simpler and a bit more refined looking. I agree the current hatchback front end is messy looking. Really don't understand the black wheel thing and wish Honda had gone with 17" rims and tires with a bit more sidewall for better ride on the Touring. I did truly love my 8th & 9th gen EX-L coupes.
I don't see where you're disagreeing. The current hatchback REAR end is horrible looking. Way too messy, and black wheels are terrible looking on ANY vehicle...the 8th gen Civic has been the best one to date...

I don't see where you're disagreeing. The current hatchback REAR end is horrible looking. Way too messy, and black wheels are terrible looking on ANY vehicle...the 8th gen Civic has been the best one to date...
Totally agree on the black wheels, total effect looks like black steelies without hubcaps. The total "murdered out" look with all-black trim and dark tinted glass is something I can nether understand or appreciate, it's ugly, at least to me. The 11th gen hatchback rear is certainly less aggressive than the 10th, but the 11th gen overall, Sedan or hatchback, is a bit more conservative. I like the front end of my Sedan, but the rear is similar to several other brands and probably a bit bland. I can nitpick the interior, lack of lumbar support and seat memory, but overall user friendly and comfortable. Styling is always a subjective thing, you can never please everyone. I find the current Mazdas attractive and most Toyotas pretty ugly or confused looking.

Totally agree on the black wheels, total effect looks like black steelies without hubcaps. The total "murdered out" look with all-black trim and dark tinted glass is something I can nether understand or appreciate, it's ugly, at least to me. The 11th gen hatchback rear is certainly less aggressive than the 10th, but the 11th gen overall, Sedan or hatchback, is a bit more conservative. I like the front end of my Sedan, but the rear is similar to several other brands and probably a bit bland. I can nitpick the interior, lack of lumbar support and seat memory, but overall user friendly and comfortable. Styling is always a subjective thing, you can never please everyone. I find the current Mazdas attractive and most Toyotas pretty ugly or confused looking.
I gotta give Toyota props for the looks of the new Corolla and Prius, both are nice looking cars IMO...the rest of their lineup, not so much...

The all blacked out look is so overdone...and I thought it was ugly to begin with....now black and chrome, that's a classic that always looks classy...so long as the chrome hasn't gone overboard...

Since we seem to be off on a Civic tangent, I'll throw in my experience.
We had two '86 Civic Wagons. They were very light and also pretty simple. With a five speed they were a joy to drive and had plenty of room for four and their luggage. We did suffer the hardships of having to use the key to lock and unlock the doors as well as having to crank the windows.
Both of these cars went past 200K without issue. These were the generations of Honda as well as Toyota cars that established them as the gold standard.

My Gold Stanford of Civics was my 1991 CRX si, 5-speed, air and am/fm cassette with the Honda add-on CD player. Ran over 100 000 completely trouble-free miles until I (in retrospect, foolishly) traded it on a 95 Civic EX Coupe. Most enjoyable car I've ever had, it's elegance was it's simplicity. A truly delightful car, I'd buy another one today in a heartbeat. 40 mpg and handled like a go-cart.

My Gold Stanford of Civics was my 1991 CRX si, 5-speed, air and am/fm cassette with the Honda add-on CD player. Ran over 100 000 completely trouble-free miles until I (in retrospect, foolishly) traded it on a 95 Civic EX Coupe. Most enjoyable car I've ever had, it's elegance was it's simplicity. A truly delightful car, I'd buy another one today in a heartbeat. 40 mpg and handled like a go-cart.

I have considered looking for an old CRX to work on, and make my summer car. For me it is the ideal car to zip around in. My first girlfriend had a CRX, she often let me drive, best car I've ever been in.
Lots of room in the back for camping gear also.

Back