Negative effects of cheap gas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The gas you buy is in spec.

The air filter was not designed by Honda. There may be a delicate balance of restriction and vacuum for your PCV system to work properly, which could be upset by the free-flowing K&N.

PCV sludge also relates to oil vapors, FYI.

I've had my share, having saturns. I tried catch cans, with modest success, but then later ripped them out and just went in and cleaned my intake regularly.

Originally Posted By: t1snwrbrdr12
Originally Posted By: mclasser
Honda recommends using Top Tier fuel in the owner's manual. Cheap gas only contains the minimum level of additives, which can contribute to build up in the long run.

IIRC, those early K24 engines were prone to oil burning. Change the PCV valve and see if it helps. A few treatments of Techron cleaner also isn't a bad idea.

They are known for burning for sure. Pcv is new it didn't help at all. The intake valves themselves were very clean though. Just the intake itself was disgustingly clogged up.

May try soaking Pistons down again someday. I have once, as well as using bg 109, to no avail. I think it's beyond any miracle cleaning but I'll try a time or two more

The likely reason you have clogged up intake runners is likely caused by a combination of PVC oil vapor, ERG sludge making it into the intake, Excess PCV oil vapor from the other end of the system pumping oil onto your throttle body and into the runners, and your K&N filter letting in fine dust that mixes with the oil and tar.

Both the PCV and EGR dump right on top of the intake runners, and based on how much oily black tar sludge I dug out of my K24s EGR system, it is likele the main culprit when it mixes with said oil from both ends of the PCV system in your intake.

When you do start running top-tier gas after cleaning it out, I also would suggest Redline SL-1 fuel system cleaner, very top shelf stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back